Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

First long trip in Flyte 255RS

I don't see many Flyte owners on here so I thought I'd post a short description of our first long trip with our 255RS. The final destination was Rivers End campground in Tybee Island, GA. We started out on a Friday evening from Michigan and made it into Lexington, KY around 3am, parked in a Cabela's parking lot and slept. From there we headed for Up the Creek Campground in Pigeon Forge, TN where we stayed for two nights. Up the Creek is a nice quiet campground, not very big and basically no amenities...didn't see anyone from the staff at all, not even at check-in, just grabbed my folder and headed for my site. At this point, the TT is holding up just fine and working great.

Monday morning comes and we start out for GA, it's about 7-8 hours away. My TV (2012 GMC Sierra) struggled a bit through the Smokey Mountains on I-40 but nothing it couldn't handle. Thinking I may need to double check my WD hitch setup, got quite a bit of sway from passing semi's and larger vehicles (maybe not enough weight distributed to the front???). Anyway, we arrive at Rivers End and are greeted by a staff member in a golf cart who takes us to our site and helps us back in. DW didn't even have to get out of the truck...I told the guy that he probably saved my marriage. I was surprised when he said a lot of folks actually don't like help backing in from the staff. Not me, I was quite grateful. Now after the fastest parking job I've ever done (amazing what "good" help can accomplish) we start hooking everything up. Everything stayed in it's place inside the TT and all is looking well. We have full hookups and 7 days to enjoy ourselves before heading back home.

Now I know your waiting for the "bad" part of this story, but there isn't one...as far as the TT goes. This is our first TT and it has been great so far. I was worried about the build quality being poor considering it was so cheap ($$) compared to other brands out there. It even feels cheap on the inside and the QC isn't the greatest...but I don't really have anything to compare it to, and you don't really seem to notice a lot of those things when you're shopping for your first TT. The bathroom is a bit on the small side but we managed. As far as the TT goes, everything worked great, even better than I could have imagined.

Now let's talk a little about Georgia. Every single day of our trip was over 90 degrees and around 80% humidity...oh, and no clouds anywhere. I was literally sweating by the time I got down the stairs every time I stepped outside. The A/C ran almost constantly during the day but was easily able to keep the TT at 75 degrees. I'm loving the TT life at this point!

We're a family of four (12, 15, wife and myself). I gotta say, something about camping brings us all together...no fighting, bickering, etc...just a straight-up good time, and trust me, that doesn't come easy with a 15 year old of the female type!

Not a whole lot more to say that I haven't already, TT was great and held up for the 1900 mile round-trip...uh...trip. Rivers End Campground was by far one of the nicest campgrounds I've been to. Tybee Island, on the other hand, was a bit of a let down. It was definitely quiet, which was a big factor in choosing that location, we don't like crowds. Unfortunately I'm comparing it to the Outer Banks of NC that we visited about 3 years ago...and well, it just doesn't seem to compare at all. The heat could be contributing to my ill feeling toward it too though.

The only issue I had was with the fridge. It has a single 92mm 12v fan on the back that was causing A LOT of vibration and it drove me crazy. Luckily our neighbors were out most of the time and didn't really seem to unpack. So I grabbed their picnic table, dragged it over so I could stand on it to get to the upper access panel to the fridge to see what I could do about the vibration. I ended up jamming a couple folded pieces of a paper plate between the fridge and the fan bracket...this helped quite a bit but now I'm looking for a higher quality fan.

Now we'll just have to see how the Flyte holds up in the long run.

This is us setup on Tybee Island:

and this is what I mean by quiet:

Happy travels!
brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

So we have the Shasta Oasis 25rs same floor plan as yours and it also has held up well. We had the water heater situation which we have commented on here before. We drove from Utah to Washington state over a 2 day period. We are on a relatives property with full hookups. The weather here is often cloudy and occasionally some rain drizzles down. It is darker here due to cloud cover so I am sleeping much better here than in Utah. We previously owned a 2007 Jayco Jayfeather 218 which was fiberglass at 22 feet, no slide, wife and I sleeping arrangement was quite small, bed ran with width of trailer tough to get in and out. Daughter slept on jack knife sofa. Shasta has a small slide which is sufficient for our needs. It's a 2016 and our goal is to make it last 5 years. Bunk area is great for daughter. We will have travelled 1800 miles this year when we are done and other than the water heater issue the Oasis has held up well.
nephi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Can you point me to the thread about the water heater issue? I haven't had any problems but it's always good to hear about a potential problem.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Great looking campsite & beach! Wish I was there sitting around the fire with my feet playing in the sand. Thanks for sharing!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:57 AM   #5

I just bought a 2016 255RS. Haven't even used it yet. Plan on using it in the next few weeks. Thanks for the informative post. Good to know about the fridge fan.

I am currently in Florida and actually from Michigan. Would like to see how our TTs hold up.
Hollowpoint451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

You didn't comment on the Crab Shack restaurant. Did you get a chance to eat there? We were there first of June on way to Disney, best meal on our trip.
Virginia Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Rocker View Post
You didn't comment on the Crab Shack restaurant. Did you get a chance to eat there? We were there first of June on way to Disney, best meal on our trip.
We decided not to eat there because we didn't want to deal with the kids complaining that they didn't like anything on the menu. I wish we would have ate there but no biggie. We enjoyed a couple meals at Huckapoos though.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

We have a 2015 shasta flyte 26rls. We love it.
Omdulaney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags