Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

First trip in new TT went well except....

We took our 2018 Shasta Oasis 18bh out for a 6 day camping trip. First 2 days it rained off and on...no big deal, we caught up on some reading and took naps. Everything went well except....
I thought we were doing well with managing the grey and black water usage BUT....on the 3rd day I checked and the black water tank indicated it was full. I turned off the water, looked down the toilet with a bright light and yep...it was full.
What ??...we were careful about flushing, I would actually go to the campground restroom to do my business. DW didn't seem like she used the toilet that much.
I checked the grey water tank indicator...hmmm..it reads "Empty". I know we used the water for brushing teeth, washing hands and DW took a shower (I used the campground shower) and I know that the shower and sink empty into the grey water tank. (I did a test before I left home on our trip).
So how the heck did the black water get full so fast and the grey water stay "empty" ?
Oh...and while we were trying to figure out what was going on, DW noticed water in the tub, just a few inches but neither of us had recently used the shower. I assumed it was because the grey water tank was full and the indicators for the grey tank were not working properly.
Does the grey water back up in the shower if the tank is full ?

So for the remainder of the 3rd day we did not use sink, shower or toilet. On the 4th day, we unhooked everything and took the TT to dump the tanks. Went back to the camp site with completely emptied tanks.
We agreed for the rest of the trip, no more showers in the TT (we would go to the campground showers) and we would only use the sink for brushing teeth and washing up in mornings and evenings. DW would be the only one to use the toilet. The tanks were fine for the remaining trip but the grey water indicator always read "empty".
My puzzlement is over how the black water tank filled up so fast the first time?
I can't imagine that the grey water flows over to the black tank if the grey tank is full.

I've looked under the TT, I didn't see anything indicating that the tanks were connected. The grey water tank sits by the axle and the black water tank sits back by the bumper. Separates spots, no connection.
I know the tanks on the TT are small (36 gal), I guess I just didn't think we were using that much water. We agreed from now on we would treat the TT water usage the same as we did for our Pop-up...very, very limited.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
We are not new to camping, just new to owning a TT.
LivingToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Would not be the first time the shower was plumbed to the black tank. I've actually read quite a few times of this instance on here over the years.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote