Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
Brigitte

Not screws in snap up brackets, screws on dual cam. Stipped
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoongirl10
Yes, there are screws in the blue panels and they rusted. All the bolts on the levelers or stabilizing jacks have rusted. The pipes underneath the camper are rusted. I guess it looks a lot different on the showroom floor. Overall, I like the shasta because of the open floor space and high ceiling. Can't wait to see what happens next.
The bolts on the jacks will show some rust, just like a car frame does. Plus remember those things are being used so when you start expanding and contracting them the paint from the factory will start chipping and they'll start to peel and rust . I've sanded my jacks down and put rus-nolium in them and so far so good. As for the rest of the underbelly, still looks brand new.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
The bolts on the jacks will show some rust, just like a car frame does. Plus remember those things are being used so when you start expanding and contracting them the paint from the factory will start chipping and they'll start to peel and rust . I've sanded my jacks down and put rus-nolium in them and so far so good. As for the rest of the underbelly, still looks brand new.
My husband just started that process, hopefully it works. I remember our first camping trip the underbelly of the camper flew off while we were driving
spoongirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #24

slows THINGS down considerably

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
rus-nolium in them and so far so good

yes
some rust on these THINGS is common
even if one is not up to sanding
a spray of rus-nolium
slows THINGS down considerably

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
Brigitte

I heard about this product:
Boshield T-9
ever heard of it? supposed to be "miraculous" lol
Boeshield Canada
Timbrens
Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #26

Another thing that annoys me that I didn't realize until after we purchased is the door hitting the poles of the awning when it's opened. The only way to avoid this is to detach it from the camper.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #27

" the door hitting the poles of the awning when it's opened"
======================================
That is simply the result of poor design. One would think that the guy drawing up the plans for a new camper would take into account where the options, like an awning, would have to be placed.
Sometimes I am quite surprised how well thought out our fifth wheel is. Everything seems to have its place, and there isn't much space wasted, and nothing gets in the way of anything else. Too bad all campers aren't equal.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #28

you are not alone with this situation when the awning is opened. Almost all my trailers over the years were doing this when the awning was not set to patio mode.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #29
Wanna Be Camper

If you want to keep the belly of you unit looking new, try POR15. They use it to coat the frames of off road jeeps and stuff, many have also used it on the underside of tractor mower decks as they can look like they have been sand blasted after a few uses in high sand areas.

POR-15 rust preventative products from POR15 Canada.com master distribution center

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #30

I also own a Shasta 26 qbtb and love it but it has been bitter sweet at the same time,some of our issues where not as bad as others but where just as annoying,here are just a few to list 1st bathroom medicine cabinet fell off the wall,brake lines unattached and were dragging along with the cd,DVD,sterreo unit did not work from day one,one blown surround sound speaker,black tank water flush has a bad connection so water blows everywhere and is getting fixed as we speake,doors and drawers would not stay closed,entire underbelly skin had to be replaced with a new one,awning handles,and door lock had to be replaced,also we are having the dealership fix the black water release valve handle corrected since it is right up against the left rear scissor jack and which makes it very hard to open this valve.there was a couple more minor issues that the dealer has fixed for us and most of this needed to be corrected after our first trip after driving off the lot after purchasing the unit brand new,and after all that we still enjoy the model it's just hard to believe that a company off forestrivers size would allow a product to be released for sale to the public with these issues and it's a darn shame since it is such a lovely unit,we also picked this over a Jayco 30' with double slides,sometimes I wish I would have bought the other unit but it's to late now since I can't get but little more then half of what is owed on it so I can only hope that all the bugs are worked out of the unit after this last trip to the dealer for warranty work.please let me know if anybody has had simmalar issues.
Optimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #31
Brigitte

Only problem with our shasta revere 21 fbs so far:
One exterior speaker not working and the water pump was leaking lightly but stopped when I turned the pipe a bit.
Timbrens
Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #32

I'm not very smart, but. If I was the guy in charge of Forest River, and this is why I will never be in charge, I would be up someones ***** to contact anyone that had a complaint, and fix it. I would be like the NFL, I don't want to see our name "Forest River" connected in any way to bad press.

Some RV's you build are trouble free, the ones that ain't you fix or replace and make the people happy, forget the cost. If you have people working for you that can't cut it, here's the door. I like to work alone, if it don't get done it's my fault. If it does get done, it's still my fault.

For example, take the worst case here, I would replace the RV with new. Have the old one delivered to the place it was built. I would shut down production for four hours, with pay. I would tell all the employees to go look at what they built and make it loud and clear. If you keep this up, we will ALL be out of a job.

Forest River are you listening?
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #33

Spoon girl I also live in Maryland and own the same unit as u,did u purchase from chesaco rv by chance?we also have had many issues with ours.
Optimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #34

Avoid Shasta at all costMore 26tbqb problems! 17k Paperweight!

After arriving at our most recent campsite, I quickly noticed the outlets on the GFCI outlet were without power. After some troubleshooting I took the bathroom GFCI outlet off and noticed the hot lead must have came loose and burnt through the back of the outlet, rendering it useless and not to mention a nice fire hazard!!! Proceeded to drive 40 minutes away to the nearest Home Depot to purchase a new $16 GFCI. All outlets on GFCI operated correctly after replacement. We then faced the same issue of the slide fuse burning out (only twice this trip), but this time something from under the carpet on the slide must have caught the flooring and tore it pretty bad (don't think there is an easy fix with that one). We then noticed that the bathroom fan was inoperable. While troubleshooting the fan I received DC voltage to the leads of the fan, which led me to the conclusion of a bad fan motor. No other problems for the rest of the trip, thank God! We then arrived home only to find out that for some reason the breaker marked Gen (in very sloppy handwriting) kept tripping the main. I'm a diy'er, so I tried to traced the wires only to notice almost all the romex behind the distribution panel goes up through emt conduit without any insulating bushings. That is completely unacceptable in commercial bldg code, as well as residential. Appears to be another potential fire hazard well, to me at least. The more I dig into this thing, the more the scab, shoddy, no pride craftsmanship becomes more and more apparent!!!! It disgusts me to think of how much I paid for this thing and what I'm getting out of it. I can post pics to back these claims up if anyone would wish to see them.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #35

Re: Optimus Prime

Optimus,
Yes, we did purchase our RV from Chesaco. We have had some issues with Chesaco, but they are obviously not a contributing factor to this piece of crap Shasta. Chesaco should read these forums and stop selling these rolling turds. My friend stopped by to check out my initial rust issue. His only reply was that his grandma has a 1980's Winnebago and it looks brand new compared to mine...wow, glad I bought a 2011. The only light I can shed on this subject would be that I have honed in my skills as an electrician, plumber, metal worker, and carpenter.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #36

I have been up to Chesaco but never did purchase anything from them.It's really a shame about the Shasta's. The original Shasta's from the 50's-60's when I was a kid were really desirable travel trailers.I still remember the wing things they use to have on the sides.

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #37

At what plant the Shasta is made?
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #38

Anyone else having troubles with the hinges on cabinet doors? so far i have replaced 8 hinges on the cabinets and will need to do more yet.... the hinges are so tight that the screws are pulling out of the cabinet.....At first i tried bigger screws(without changing hinges) but it didnt work so now i am down to change the hinge and replacing screws as well.....
2012 NIGHTS CAMPED 43
racer30 is offline   Reply With Quote