Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

Poor Construction of Shasta Revere

Anyone else think these things are just thrown together? It seems everytime we go away another screw has come loose or fallen out of something. All the bolts on the outside of our camper are rusted. Looks like we have something from 1985 not 2011. Very disappointed

spoongirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

We purchased ours January of 2011 and have not noticed any rusted hardware. We store outside, uncovered, and in humid Florida. I did find one loose screw on a cabinet door hinge that I was able to tighten up with a phillips screwdriver. I do wash the unit quaterly. I wonder if your unit maybe had some excessive road salt exposure during a snowy transport?

Rich, Steph, Ava, & Micah
2010 Sierra 1500 SLE Z60
2011 Shasta Revere 30 CKBH
RichieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #3

Ours was purchased in Feb 2011, it's a 26qbtb. We live in Maryland. I'm not sure what the issue is, other than cheap hardware and labor. It just seems like they are "thrown" together. We have also had some issues with our snap up brackets bending on 4 occasions. I don't really think that is the trailer though.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Brigitte

Hard to say, we've only been out a few times but so far so good. I'll let you know once we get a whole summer of traveling in.
Ours is also stored outside and have found no leak or rust. Looks just like new
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #5

This is just my opinion, but it seems that every year, manufacturers of most durable goods such as houses, appliances, boats, cars, RV's etc. work to develop new technology to build things lighter, quicker or less expensive. All in the pursuit of higher profits at a lower manufacturing cost for the company. Each year, it seems that middle to lower priced travel trailers ($100k or less) seem to loose a little bit of material and workmanship quality each year. This seems to be true in the automobile, boat, housing and appliance industries as well. When I work on my 1999 FR Salem 29BH, seems to me that they designed it so they could use one single style/length of screw throught the entire rig. I always think to myself that the cheap %$#@ers couldn't bother to use a different screw on the cabinet doors than they used on the roof, or on the shower trim. Only diffrence is the color of the screw head. We probably couldn't afford an RV or buy another one if they built them to last forever.
daddyntwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

we bought ours last year and used it twice so far and no issues as of yet. It stored outside uncovered up here in CT. We've been to De and Hershey so far and no isues. We're going to Mrytle Beach this summer, so I'll guess we'll see what happens
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

On my 2011 minilite all my screws were replaced with stainless steel screws. I have a tread on this matter. You can have a look on going to capucine.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #8

Exactly what my husband says. You pay for something that costs nearly nothing to make and they couldn't spend an extra $50 to use stainless steel. He is going to try to replace them with stainless steel.
I find several screws in the camper and I'm like where did this come from. Who knows what it fell out of.
We haven't had an issues with the unit itself as far as ac/heat.
As far as the brackets...we've had 3 sets of standard bend and 1 heavy duty pair. Trying to get our dealer to fix it is like pulling teeth. They keep blaming it on reese and just replacing brackets. Everytime we go away they bend. They have bent with his Nissan Titan and my Nissan Armada.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #9

When we were shopping around for a new fifth wheel, we were shocked at how cheaply some were made. Not that our Flagstaff is perfect, but we saw some that still had wood sliders under the drawers, plastic fake "woodgrain" wrinkling on the cabinets, really cheap-looking interiors, and simply generally poor workmanship.
We don't have a ton of miles on ours yet, but so far there have been few issues that could be blamed on poor workmanship.
I only wish everyone could be as pleased with their units.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Brigitte

Shasta's drawers are build like residential cabinets, strong. I'm sure to let you know if i see loose anything

Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote