Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Shasta 18fq water heater problem

Question about water heaters...

Turned on the water pump and heater.. Gave it some time, checked the hot water and when it gets hot it's only hot water for literally a few seconds then gets cold when the water pump starts pressurizing again.. Does the water heater only work when connect to city water, cuz we just have our fresh water tank filled up... This is in a Shasta 18fq travel trailer... Thanks in advance.
wanderloverv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderloverv View Post
Question about water heaters...

Turned on the water pump and heater.. Gave it some time, checked the hot water and when it gets hot it's only hot water for literally a few seconds then gets cold when the water pump starts pressurizing again.. Does the water heater only work when connect to city water, cuz we just have our fresh water tank filled up... This is in a Shasta 18fq travel trailer... Thanks in advance.
Turn Off the W/H Quick! Before you run out of water then you will need a W/H heat element also! Your Os Shower might be ON! Youroo!!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

We don't have an outside shower, so that can't be the issue..

Is there any kind of bypass valve or something that is easy to access that I wasn't told about when I bought it??
Old 03-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

Sounds like the W/H is "Still Filling" = AIR!! Youroo!!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Do you know about water heater bypass valves and how they work?
There are MANY threads here about them.
*HERE* is just one... scroll down to post ten for some good pictures of the bypass valves.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
Site Team

This link may help if you have a Suburban water heater...and post #3 there explains the bypass valves irregardless of brand of water heater, which is a repeat of 5picker's posted link above.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #7

You have me worried now. Tried to do my walk through yesterday and air kept spewing...I asked a couple of times if they were sure there was water in the W/H. Didn't matter because the AC didn't cool - compressor kept recycling and it never did get cool. New AC on order. I'm already calling it the Flyte from hell and I haven't even brought it home yet. Poor technician has had to rebuild it...very poor quality.
wlknthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The easiest way to tell if the water heater is full and air purged is by opening the lever on the pop-off valve on the outside of the water tank.

****BE VERY CAREFUL*** doing this if you have turned on some method of heating the water!! The water coming out of the pop-off can be scalding hot!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #9
FL/WI-RVers

Shasta 18fq water heater problem

I had a Shasta 20RL TT and I had trouble every so often. Here are a couple of things that may help. What size fresh water hose are you using, I changed mine to all 5/8" hose. It did sound like you are relying on the water tank, If that's the case you will need to keep that full, or you will add more air into the system. I know 5picker mentioned this, but when your filling especially if the system was drained, you may need open the temp safety valve and fill it a little slower (or the igniter will get wet and you have another problem). Once water comes out from the relief valve, then close it and have someone open a hot & cold water sink valve until you have water. This should solve your air lock problem and it should only happen when the system is drained.
I hope this helps, now that I wrote my first book!
FLRVWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #10

Got her all fixed! It was the bypass valve! Understandable how they could forget to mention something at the dealership... talking about so many things during a walk through. Thanks everyone!

Tags
heater, shasta, water, water heater