Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #1

Shasta 336RL reviews

I am looking at trading for a Shasta Phoenix 336RL and I am looking for some feedback from 336RL owners. Any issues with this unit I should be aware about? How is Shasta customer service and warranty issues, etc?
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Well either no one has or wants to admit they have a 336RL...
But anyway we just finalized our deal with the dealer and Bank of the West. So we will be picking up the FW this Friday. So if anyone has any insight to this unit, please feel free to comment on likes, dislikes or whatever you feel is relevant to the unit.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 08-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatum65 View Post
Well either no one has or wants to admit they have a 336RL...
But anyway we just finalized our deal with the dealer and Bank of the West. So we will be picking up the FW this Friday. So if anyone has any insight to this unit, please feel free to comment on likes, dislikes or whatever you feel is relevant to the unit.
Hello,
I have a Phoenix Shasta 360BH which is very similar to the 336. I've owned it for just over a year now and enjoy it very much. I'm a seasonal camper so I don't haul it, so can't comment on that aspect.
I've only had a couple of issues with it thus far. I've had a couple of leaks. Two were under the sinks, bathroom and kitchen, on the P-traps. The threaded fittings were not tightened. The other leaks was also a threaded fitting but it was in back of the panel with all the waste valves and outside shower and stuff. I had to remove a panel to get access to it.
One other minor complaint is the radio reception is very poor. That may be do to my location, not sure.
Other than that we really enjoy it. Its very spacious, comfortable and we get a ton of compliments from everybody who visits.
Let me know how you get along with yours.
Enjoy,

LJD
Cheti Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheti Island View Post
Hello,
I have a Phoenix Shasta 360BH which is very similar to the 336. I've owned it for just over a year now and enjoy it very much. I'm a seasonal camper so I don't haul it, so can't comment on that aspect.
I've only had a couple of issues with it thus far. I've had a couple of leaks. Two were under the sinks, bathroom and kitchen, on the P-traps. The threaded fittings were not tightened.
Let me know how you get along with yours.
Enjoy,

LJD
Thanks for the feedback LJD. We are picking her up tomorrow from the dealer and pretty excited about it, especially DW. We also considered the 360, but we are empty nester and we would have had to upgrade to a 3500. I am sure we will enjoy this unit as much as the other 3 we have had. And hopefully this is our last unit for quite awhile.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #5

Bought our Phoenix 336RL in May, 2018

Time to open-up; Can't keep it quiet any longer, the neighbors have seen it. We purchased a Phoenix 336RL in May, 2018 and love it. After 9 years in a 31' Sabre FW, and many-many miles, we decided we weren't getting any younger, love RV'ing, so wrote the check, never looked back, and couldn't be Happier. The 336RL model has a similar floor plan with lots more room and comfort. So far we have spent over 50 nights, including a month at Crystal Beach, Tx, and will be spending many, many, more. To add a note, I am also very pleased with our 04 F250 diesel when towing. I cannot tell much difference, it handles the extra weight and size with no problem, and stops better than the old Sabre RV.

To date, we added a 32" TV in the bedroom, coat hooks w/backer boards on the walls, adjust the location of the hanger bars in the closets so hangers fit without interference, removed the king mattress, cut the plywood to fit a Queen mattress that yields a lot more walking room on the sides, moved the ring towel holder from above the toilet in the bath and installed it next to the sink, put bath towel bars above the toilet and in shower area, changed out the ceiling fan due to poor air movement for a 2 blade fan w/remote that hangs lower and moves the air much better, and fits between the slides when they are closed. I plan to replace the 30# propane tanks with 20# tanks when they empty, making it easier to exchange and lift into place when full. Then I removed the auto level button panel because I couldn't see when the hitch pin cleared the FW hitch where it was located, had to walk to and back very annoying and inconvenient, pulled the excess wire through hole, so I can now carry the button panel with me for better viewing.

Two issue's I'm wrestling with; one is the blue lights in the outdoor speakers, ugly ??, think I'll cut the power wire to the lights, second; is not having a rocker switch outside when operating the power awning. Don't like holding the door open to view when extending and retracting especially when mosquitoes are present.

Happy RVing,
cruising
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #6

jtatum65

We have been looking at the 336, as well as its "Little Brother" the 30RLS. We have a new F250, 6.2gas, 4:30 axle. The 336 is right at the GVWR of our TV. The 30RLS fits nicely into our towing capacity BUT We really like the 336. Would be interested in your experience towing with the 6.4 Hemi.
Liteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #7

Cruisin66

Did you purchase yours from Quality RV in Nac? What do you think of their service?
Old 09-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #8

Sorry.... I have looked at the equal unit by Coachmen also and they are represented by Quality RV. Forest river moved production of the Shasta Fifth Wheels to the Coachmen Factory in 2017. So now they basically offer the same product in both lines. Model Numbers are similar also,
Old 09-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #9

We also looked at the coachman equal at Quality, but found this Phoenix 336RL at Demontrond RV in Conroe.
They sold us this unit for less, a lot less than Quality RV was asking for the coachman, saying they have had it on the lot to long. (under $40)

cruisin
Old 09-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteman View Post
We have been looking at the 336, as well as its "Little Brother" the 30RLS. We have a new F250, 6.2gas, 4:30 axle. The 336 is right at the GVWR of our TV. The 30RLS fits nicely into our towing capacity BUT We really like the 336. Would be interested in your experience towing with the 6.4 Hemi.

Liteman,

We just returned from our first trip in our new 336 and absolutely loved this unit. Plenty of room and storage. Although I have found there is never enough room in the basement storage area, but that's a different topic...lol
I think you would be disappointed in the 30RLS, as it does not have the bedroom slide and you loose alot of bedroom storage.

I averaged 11mpg on this trip which wasn't bad as we were driving into head and crosswinds. I thought about a diesel when I purchased this 2500, but could bring myself to pay the extra 9k for the diesel. My Ram 2500 also a gasser with 3.73 rears is rated to pull 12,630lbs with 3300lbs payload, so I have no problems with the weight or hitch weight of this FW.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions about the 336.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinhwy66 View Post
Time to open-up;

1. I plan to replace the 30# propane tanks with 20# tanks when they empty, making it easier to exchange and lift into place when full.

2. Then I removed the auto level button panel because I couldn't see when the hitch pin cleared the FW hitch where it was located, had to walk to and back very annoying and inconvenient, pulled the excess wire through hole, so I can now carry the button panel with me for better viewing.

Happy RVing,
cruising
Crusin,

1. I too had problems getting my 30# tanks in and out of the access doors. It seems someone didn't measure the height of these tanks and they put in shorter doors then what is needed. I may change to 20# tanks as well, but we will see.

2. If your not aware these LCI ground control systems come with the wireless already built in the receiver locate in the front storage compartment. If you look at yours, you should see a wire antenna hanging down. Then you can buy the replacement remote control from etrailer.com for $210, that's my plan anyway.

Happy Camping!!
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #12

Thanks for the info, I searched the Lippert website for a remote control and couldn't find one. I'll look at etrailer and give it some consideration. The $210 price tag is a little high, my work around was free, only issue is storing the excess wire, hanging it on a large cup hook for now w/button pad. Looking at mounting it w/propane bottle later.

cruisin
Old 09-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #13

FYI,
Just a FYI note, we weighted our 336 at a Pilot truck stop after transferring stuff from old RV and loading the new 336, scales showed a new pin weight of 2370 lbs. w/20 gal of fresh water in the tank, others empty. I got another surprise when weighting the tow vehicle, 2004 F250D, with myself, wife, and a 15 lb dog, rv hitch nothing else, 7370 lbs w/29 gal of diesel. RV=11940 lbs. includes pin weight. You may want to do the same.

This is good to know because I have a 55 gal aux tank in the truck bed that I can't completely fill now, because of new pin weight, for fear of overloading the TV. 30 to 35 gal at most, = more stops for fuel.

cruisin
Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #14

Lippert Ground Control 3.0 on Phoenix 336RL;

After reading info on the auto level system does anyone know if the wireless remote mounted to the wall in hallway come off for outside use? It will function inside, but I need it outside when lifting off hitch.

cruisin
Old 09-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #15

Quote:
FYI,
Just a FYI note, we weighted our 336 at a Pilot truck stop after transferring stuff from old RV and loading the new 336, scales showed a new pin weight of 2370 lbs. w/20 gal of fresh water in the tank, others empty. I got another surprise when weighting the tow vehicle, 2004 F250D, with myself, wife, and a 15 lb dog, rv hitch nothing else, 7370 lbs w/29 gal of diesel. RV=11940 lbs. includes pin weight. You may want to do the same.

This is good to know because I have a 55 gal aux tank in the truck bed that I can't completely fill now, because of new pin weight, for fear of overloading the TV. 30 to 35 gal at most, = more stops for fuel.

cruisin

Yea I meant to weigh it this weekend but went right by the CAT scales without blinking. My Ram has a payload of 3300# and the hitch weigh according to Shasta of 1998#. I only have a 27 gal gas tank so I expect to stop more frequently anyway at 11mpg , but had I bought the diesel I would have loss 1000# of payload due to the heavy cummins engine. And as I have coiled suspension, I am installing Airlift 5000 airbags which will help with the added hitch weight, I had them on my last Ram and it helped alot.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #16

jtatum65

Thanks for the info. It makes my decision a little harder. (lol) I had calculated the pin weight to be close to 2400 lbs loaded out by using the ratio of dry pin weight to dry weight and then multiplying that ratio against GVWR of 336 unit. That would only leave me about 700 lbs for passengers, fuel and hitch. That is why I have looked at the 30RLS. I know I am giving up some room but we are moving up from a 29' TT. For us, we gain the second sofa, more counter space, more closet space and larger bath, even with the 30RLS. Your data at least , makes me feel more comfortable with towing the 30RLS.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Lippert Ground Control 3.0 on Phoenix 336RL;

After reading info on the auto level system does anyone know if the wireless remote mounted to the wall in hallway come off for outside use? It will function inside, but I need it outside when lifting off hitch.

cruisin
The unit mounted on the wall is not a wireless tablet, as indicated in some of the LCI material states. The units installed on these 336's are hardwired to the control unit in the front storage compartment. You would need to purchase the wifi module, but what I found it is only available for the 4 point system. Your best option is to purchase the remote as stated in my previous response.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #18

Thanks, I was hoping not, Lippert is wanting $270 + tax and shipping for the remote. At that price I'll stay with my fix. They did say there was an app I could down load then use my Phone as a remote, checking that feature out, but need the phone and the RV here at the same time for programing. Can't do it now, the wife gone with the phone and the RV is at the dealer for warranty repairs, later much later. Just called dealer for progress update, they still haven't received replacement parts from Coachman.

cruisin
Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #19

Cruisin,

I think your best bet is the remote from etrailer.com, as it is $60 cheaper than buying from LCI directly. That's what I'm going to do. Would be nice if LCI would offer a discount price for the remote since we didn't get one originally, so it not like we are replacing a lost or broken unit.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #20

JTatum65

I down loaded the OneControl app from the LCI website to the iPhone along with print out on how to sink with our RV. All I need is the RV which is at the dealer for warranty work. Will let you know how well it works.

cruisin

Tags
shasta