Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 01:36 AM   #1

Shasta Phoenix Questions from prospective buyers

Hello!

I just saw posts on this forum regarding Shasta RVs and was wondering how people who have bought one have liked them? My husband and I have been looking at a new 2015 Phoenix Rise RBXLT that has been sitting at a dealer's lot, and we are in the works of negotiating a final price on it...

This is our first time buying an RV, and although we have done a lot of research and looked at many different brands, models, and layouts, there is still a little apprehension since we don't really know what we're getting into until we actually start using the RV on a daily basis.

We were initially impressed with the layout of the Shasta Phoenix since it will work well for the two of us. Things that are important to us in the "ideal" RV are a functional kitchen with decent counter space, adequate storage inside and outside, and the ability to convert the queen bed to a king.

We anticipate using our RV 5-6 months out of the year as we plan to travel around the US 1-2 months at a time. We will definitely be taking it coast to coast and will also be driving it through Canada, up to AK.

With that being said, have you been happy with your Phoenix purchase? What are the positives and negatives you've experienced with this brand and the model you got? What should we be aware of before purchase and when doing our PDI? Is there anything you wish you could change about the RV after using it frequently (we will be part-time, full-timers ) Does the all-season package really do well in very cold temperatures? As I mentioned before, we will be taking it to AK and other cold places. How well does it tow? Our tow vehicle is a 2013 F-350 Lariat diesel.

Also, we are trying to negotiate with the dealer on a fair price. Do you have any recommendations of what we could possibly negotiate into the deal if they will not lower the price any further? We were thinking of asking for another Fantastic Fan in the living room area, but we are not sure if there is a better upgrade or item we should try asking for as a bargaining chip.

Any information/pearls of wisdom you can share with us about your experience with the Shasta brand (specifically the Phoenix Rise RB XLT if you have one) would be very much appreciated. I'm brand new to this site, so if you've already posted this info elsewhere, I apologize if I missed it.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

J&Z
travelingpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Sorry to being late on answering but here is my thoughts on a recent question.

This is the second year for our Phoenix SPF35BH, and have not had any major problems at all. We do have a permanent site and we do live in it from mid March to November. We did spend a few weeks this winter ( got 30" of snow )and no problem with heat or equipment. After 10 years of traveling with a Heartland Big Country this was a good choice for a two bed two bath unit.
bill40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! After some back and forth with the dealer we decided to walk away from the Shasta, it just wasn't the right deal for us. We also went to an RV show the other day and have been looking at different model now.
travelingpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

Glad to hear about the 35bh.... Changing over to one Friday

The Goat Belly from Texas
2016 Wildcat 312bhx
2011 Ford F-250 diesel
sears532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

Good choice on walking away from Shasta,,, walk, or better yet run, as far as you can. In fact run from ALL forest river junk. I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough. Without question the biggest piece of crap ever.
Mad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
Good choice on walking away from Shasta,,, walk, or better yet run, as far as you can. In fact run from ALL forest river junk. I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough. Without question the biggest piece of crap ever.

Which way did you wind up going bc I am sort of tired of them myself?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

I have the S/P 33CK. Right now I love it. Not so much in the beginning. My problems when it was new is covered elsewhere in this forum. Bottom line is, I don't know if I am the exception, but, my dealer and FR worked it out to solve my problems. 100%. My concern now is just cosmetic: black streaks that won't come off. If I had a wish list, I like LED lighting on the outside (tail, stop, clearance) and 12v inside.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #9

33 Phoenix CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Geneseo View Post
I have the S/P 33CK. Right now I love it. Not so much in the beginning. My problems when it was new is covered elsewhere in this forum. Bottom line is, I don't know if I am the exception, but, my dealer and FR worked it out to solve my problems. 100%. My concern now is just cosmetic: black streaks that won't come off. If I had a wish list, I like LED lighting on the outside (tail, stop, clearance) and 12v inside.
We have found a 2016 Phoenix CK that is still on the lot at our local dealer. The deal seems very good because they are anxious to move it to make room for 2017's.

We have had several FR units and have had great luck with the latest being a Wildcat.
Went back for another Wildcat but the Phoenix CK is coming in at $3K cheaper with very similar specs and features.

Questions:
1. Do you have the auto leveler feature?
2. How has your experience been with the furniture?
3. Slide toppers?

Just need to make that final decision! Price seems right, just don't want the dreaded buyers remorse! That $ is too hard to come by!
Clark W. Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:27 AM   #10

Thumbs up 33CK

I don't have the auto levelers. Wish I did.
I have not had any problems with the furniture except the bed. The rough finish is a problem. The osb is really course.
I did put the slide covers on all the slides. It keeps the pine cones off the top
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Don't have auto level ( have yearly site) but would if was still traveling. No problem the interior after 3 years. I do like the side toppers help with leaves and weather off.

Tags
shasta