Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Shasta Revere 30 CKBH towing issue

Hello everyone ! I own a Shasta Revere 30 CKBH and i love every inch of it. The only issue I have is towing that monster. I have a F150 FX4 2012 brand new wich i just change tires from original 4 plys to LTX 10 plys. Hauling is ok . My issue is with the Reese Dual Cam system ( 12000lbs ). I can hardly go 60mph and as soon winds blows from the sides or a van passes me the beast starts to wave and i have to slow down quickly !!!!! I brought my ball hitch down and tilted it backwards , can't wait to try it. Any advice would be good.
Tks
Danybgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Brigitte

I have no skills in installing the Reese dual cam, it was done for me, I paid someone (whom I prayed was skilled). I have no issues with it. Lots of people here know how to set it up right. I suggest you post in hitch and towing thread in this website.
I also love my Shasta Revere! lots of great features
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danybgood View Post
Hello everyone ! I own a Shasta Revere 30 CKBH and i love every inch of it. The only issue I have is towing that monster. I have a F150 FX4 2012 brand new wich i just change tires from original 4 plys to LTX 10 plys. Hauling is ok . My issue is with the Reese Dual Cam system ( 12000lbs ). I can hardly go 60mph and as soon winds blows from the sides or a van passes me the beast starts to wave and i have to slow down quickly !!!!! I brought my ball hitch down and tilted it backwards , can't wait to try it. Any advice would be good.
Tks
Hi! I have a new Shasta Revere 30 CKBH coming next week. I love the layout, and I hope my experience with it is closer to yours than the OP. Other than the sway, how do you find the towing with the F-150? I have a 2011 F-150 with the EcoBoost V6 and the 3.55 gearing, and I am wondering how it will do?

Dave.
dasimser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #4

Hey Dave ! My truck is doing just fine but you have the rugged tow package that comes with the ecoboost so no worries there. A friend of mine has an 2009 f150 with the 5.4 and he found it better to tow his 29 footer than his new FX4 with the new 5 liter engine . I suggest top of the line sway control hitch cuz the 30 CKBH being a cross country RV , its higher from the ground than a regular RV and sensitive to crosswinds , be aware buddy . Other than that i love it and make alot of people jealous with my outside kitchen lollll , great looks and awesome set up . Keep in touch . Ho and by the way , make sure you got LTX's on your truck , its a heavy traler well put together and the original tires ( 4 plys ) won't handle any sway !!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danybgood View Post
Hey Dave ! My truck is doing just fine but you have the rugged tow package that comes with the ecoboost so no worries there. A friend of mine has an 2009 f150 with the 5.4 and he found it better to tow his 29 footer than his new FX4 with the new 5 liter engine . I suggest top of the line sway control hitch cuz the 30 CKBH being a cross country RV , its higher from the ground than a regular RV and sensitive to crosswinds , be aware buddy . Other than that i love it and make alot of people jealous with my outside kitchen lollll , great looks and awesome set up . Keep in touch . Ho and by the way , make sure you got LTX's on your truck , its a heavy traler well put together and the original tires ( 4 plys ) won't handle any sway !!!!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to hooking her up next Friday!

Dave.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Brigitte

[QUOTE 30 CKBH being a cross country RV , its higher from the ground than a regular RV and sensitive to crosswinds [/QUOTE]
I wasn't aware of the cross country RV. What is a cross country RV?
I have the 21FBS Le and mine also sits higher up

[IMG]
Shasta Revere 21FBS LE by boubou1, on Flickr[/IMG]
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Dannybgood,

I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post and accompanying threads to their own thread. Your question deserves its own.

Towing issues can be complicated.

A bit of push and pull from passing trucks is to be expected. But, yours sound a little more than that.

What are the weight ratings for your truck and the weight of your trailer (I can't find it on the Shasta site).

How many links do you have hooked up with the Reese?

We might be able to help with this sway issue.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Dannybgood,

I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post and accompanying threads to their own thread. Your question deserves its own.
Thanks! I felt a bit odd talking about picking up my new trailer in a thread discussing its poor construction.

Dave.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Danny, there are several things that could be making your trailer sway like that.

1. Too lite of a tongue weight.

2. Improper weight distributing.

Both of these faults can be diagnosed at a CAT scale, or a local quarry, landfill, or grain scale.....those single platform scales will be a little more difficult, but can be just as accurate.

For the CAT scale weigh-in, weigh your truck without the trailer, then with the trailer without the spring bars in place, and then again with the spring bars in place. The 2 truck axles weighed during the trip across the scales with the trailer but without the spring bars in place minus your truck alone will give you your tongue weight. Your truck axles with the trailer and spring bars attached can be compared to the trip across the scales with the truck alone.......the weight of the truck front axle should be close in each of those weigh-ins.

Here is a good guide on how to use a CAT scale: http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh

Keep people and load at the same place every time across the scales.

The total weight of the combo minus the weight of the truck alone will give you the total trailer weight. The previously figured tongue weight should be in the 12-15% range of the total trailer weight. If it is less than 12%, then you will need to start loading the trailer with the heavy stuff towards the front.

3. The spring bars may not be "notched" correctly on the cam.

This is very important. The cam needs to in the exact center of the spring bar notch when going straight. You will even want to mark your spring bars on which side they are set up on, as any difference in length between the bars could cause a problem.

Also, make sure you have at least 5 links of chain between the cams and snap up brackets.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #10

Are you running anti-sways on it?
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
Are you running anti-sways on it?
The Reese Dual Cam WDH has integrated sway control.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
Danny, there are several things that could be making your trailer sway like that.

1. Too lite of a tongue weight.

2. Improper weight distributing.

Both of these faults can be diagnosed at a CAT scale, or a local quarry, landfill, or grain scale.....those single platform scales will be a little more difficult, but can be just as accurate.

For the CAT scale weigh-in, weigh your truck without the trailer, then with the trailer without the spring bars in place, and then again with the spring bars in place. The 2 truck axles weighed during the trip across the scales with the trailer but without the spring bars in place minus your truck alone will give you your tongue weight. Your truck axles with the trailer and spring bars attached can be compared to the trip across the scales with the truck alone.......the weight of the truck front axle should be close in each of those weigh-ins.

Here is a good guide on how to use a CAT scale: http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh

Keep people and load at the same place every time across the scales.

The total weight of the combo minus the weight of the truck alone will give you the total trailer weight. The previously figured tongue weight should be in the 12-15% range of the total trailer weight. If it is less than 12%, then you will need to start loading the trailer with the heavy stuff towards the front.

3. The spring bars may not be "notched" correctly on the cam.

This is very important. The cam needs to in the exact center of the spring bar notch when going straight. You will even want to mark your spring bars on which side they are set up on, as any difference in length between the bars could cause a problem.

Also, make sure you have at least 5 links of chain between the cams and snap up brackets.
tks for the advice and will keep you informed after this week end , i'm testing different set ups

tks a million

danny