Old 06-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Question What mods?

My wife Becky and I have recently purchased a new 2016 Shasta Oasis 18FQ.

I already see a couple things I'd like to do like a toolbox on the tongue and maybe dual propane tanks.

What other mods did you make to your Oasis 18FQ

C'ya on the Road

Old 06-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

We have a Shasta Revere 26RBSS I added 2 toolboxes to the rear bumper, one for clean items (water hose, electric cord etc.) the other for black water hose gloves etc. Added storage in bathroom, shelves and boxes. Cedar lining and a heavy metal closet rod in the hanging wardrobe, book case shelfs, a full size queen bed. With me I am always changing things for our comfort.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Progressive industries ems
Would be my very first expense.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

Congratulations on the new Shasta! I like mine more and more every time we camp.

I have the bunkhouse version, but it is likely the same mattress. I went to Big Lots and got their gel memory foam topper - believe mine is the 3" version. Sleep like a baby now even with my hip issues.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips. I have read horror stories about electrical mishaps and was looking into the ems. Will definitely check out the mattress.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Alright, I got the Progressive industries ems PT30C and the Reese Professional Universal Coupler Lock that Laura suggested in a different thread

I picked up an assortment of ATC fuses and was curious if you guys carried extra breakers as well?
Old 07-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphubert View Post
We have a Shasta Revere 26RBSS I added 2 toolboxes to the rear bumper, one for clean items (water hose, electric cord etc.) the other for black water hose gloves etc. Added storage in bathroom, shelves and boxes. Cedar lining and a heavy metal closet rod in the hanging wardrobe, book case shelfs, a full size queen bed. With me I am always changing things for our comfort.
Did you add any reinforcement to the rear bumper? I currently have the spare tire mounted on the rear bumper but was considering even removing it.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #8

We have the bunkhouse version and have done no reinforcement on the rear bumper. The rubber ends were gone after the first trip, so we don't even store the sewer hose in it. I am keeping the tire on for now, but would never put a bike rack or anything else of weight on the bumper.

BTW, that same trip saw our 30 amp power cord not unreeling from the inside of the TT. DH unscrewed the round flange and he managed to stick his arm inside the hole and fix whatever was keeping the power cord from unwinding/unstoring by wiggling it around. (We screwed the flange back on and I duct-taped a gallon storage bag over the opening to keep out moisture since it broke off the silicone type seal. Looked funny, but worked as a temporary fix.)

I peeked inside when the flange was off and there is an awful lot of free space back there that is not accessed in any way - likely done on purpose so one does not add a lot of weight to the rear end. Just wanted to mention that the area under the power cord access opening might be a potential mod for a storage door for something lightweight like tarps or fishing rods, at least on the bunkhouse version.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #9

Sorry for the late reply. I made a angle iron frame and welded it to the top of the bumper then used two smaller boxes on each end of the bumper with the spare tire in the middle. My bumper is the slide out bike rack option and this works very well no cracking issues in about 6,000 miles noted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3150022 (2).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	120659   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3150023.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	120660  
Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #10

We are now super experienced with travel trailers (bought our second one this spring).

Must-do mods for us (if not already equipped):
There are, of course, other nice mods as the trailer (and DW) dictate.

www.restcure.ca

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications