Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #21

I'd say our experience is real similar to Pooniel's. We seldom ran anything that drew much power when boondocking on battery. Refrigerator on propane, modest use of the vent fan (maybe set it on "1" all night for a little air flow), no stereo, etc. We replaced any bulb we could find with LED lights.

We have a 45-watt solar panel, nothing special, I added a quick disconnect at the charge controller. It seems to have plenty of juice to keep the battery charged, but we only have one season of experience in the woods. In the driveway, no problem.

We got a generator mostly because we could. Sometimes I think it's scope creep. I don't like having to lug it around, don't like having to secure it, etc. It does give us more camping time; all meals are cooked ahead and just nuked. What's nice is when we are nuking dinner, the generator is charging the battery and laptop. And those Hondas and Yamahas are very quiet. Overall, it's nice to have but you might want to read up on solar and try that first.

We were on the fence for a long time about a generator that can start the A/C. Don't need much A/C here in Michigan, but elsewhere you might. After this season, I might wish I'd gotten the Honda if we find A/C isn't used.

A somewhat unrelated aside: Having a generator at the house is nice too. We can't get power tools to the corners of the yard. With this thing, we just throw it in a wheelbarrow and go.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #22

We have been exceedingly frugal with energy so far. For nine nights of camping we've only used not even 3 gallons of propane. I want to be a little less frugal now with the heater at night, especially. thanks for all of your feedback.
Kanikamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #23

Coming in late on this convo, but looks like you've got some good info. A couple of other considerations with a propane conversion.. you'll be loosing a bit of power generation. Depending on which generator you end up with that can be as much as a 15% reduction in rated capacity, and pound for pound... in fuel and container (ie, once fuel is expended, you still have a 17# steel tank to transport with propane)... you'll have significantly less runtime with propane over gasoline.

As others have mentioned with these newer inverter type generators, there really isn't any concern about fumes. Vents closed and drain or run the carb dry before transporting and you won't smell a thing.

I think a lot of the arguments for a 2000w over a 1000w are plenty valid... but taking it a step further... I wouldn't look at owning a generator just for campings sake. Sure.. you'll be able to enjoy the microwave, coffee maker, electric skillet, electric heater, while camping, but you also have the capability to run necessary appliances (fridge/freezer, lights, heaters etc) at HOME during blackouts or times of crisis.

With these newer inverter types like the Honda and Yamaha's, you also have the added benefit of their "eco/econo" modes. On light loads (charging phones, laptops, etc) a tank a fuel can last as much as 10 hours.

To each their own, but for the price, size, and weight difference I would still recommend the 2000w.

Most importantly..
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #24

Klaatu Ontario Canada

A very important issue is your noise level ! An invertor series generator is what you want with econo mode so it will slow the engine speed based on power demand.
A non invertor generator has to always run fast to maintain 60 hertz.
So it sounds like a lawnmower running fast that you or your neighbours won't want to hear running !
I vote for the Honda eu2000 invertor series. I have one. Running slow it sounds like a sewing machine ! My father in law couldn't believe it was a gas engine ! It claims to have cleaner power than your home outlets.
Also in some national parks you need a special muffler that can't throw out sparks that could start a fire ! The Honda does.
As far as fumes go the cap has a vent shutoff. I carried it in the back of my SUV and didn't smell it.
It will run most everything except an air conditioner and has a 12volt battery charger output too.
Honda's are not cheap but they are worth spending the extra money.
Listen and compare the noise levels .
Klaatu
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #25

1000 vs 2000 watt generator for A122?

Thanks everyone for your advice. We should now be able to make an informed decision that meets our needs.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanikamom View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. We should now be able to make an informed decision that meets our needs.
Advice, the gift that keeps on giving.

IIRC, one of your posts mentioned your TV as being relatively close to weight capacity, so consider the placement of the genset. One of those 1000's might even ride nicely in the camper stowed under the bed or in the service side sliding storage drawer.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #27

First off, the Cool Cats in the Forest River A-frames (I know for sure on the smaller A122 series) do not need 3000 watts to run. They start and run with amps to spare on a 20 amp house circuit. There was an earlier thread on this in this forum. Near sea level, the 2000 watt generator will run the Cool Cat OR the microwave. As you get up above 5-6K feet, the performance drop off of the generator makes this no longer a sure thing.

That said, like you, our goal was to able to use the heater through a long weekend (4 nights max) of camping. After looking at dual batteries, solar, and generator, the simplest and cheapest solution was a second battery. That is the route we took - and so far it has worked quite well for 3 nights in the Colorado Rockies with night lows around 40 degrees.

We do conserve battery, and we don't have laptops - we normally camp in state and national parks without wifi (and often minimal cell coverage). Phones are recharged in the car, since we tend to do day trips from the campsite in our minivan. We set the thermostat to 52 when we go to bed, and I crank it up to 70 for half an hour when the wife gets up. We seldom run the heater during the day due to plentiful Colorado sunshine.

Bottom line is that you can add a second battery for less than $150, and take up no space in tow vehicle or camper, not worry about wind or sun, and not have to carry gas and generator. If the 2nd battery isn't enough, you can add generator or solar later, and still have the extra battery reserve (double the time between recharging with generator).

just my thoughts and experiences, your choices
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000 WDH/anti-sway
camping Colorado and neighboring states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
First off, the Cool Cats in the Forest River A-frames (I know for sure on the smaller A122 series) do not need 3000 watts to run. They start and run with amps to spare on a 20 amp house circuit. There was an earlier thread on this in this forum.
Here is the thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-ok-64197.html

As a test, I ran my Cool Cat off a 15 amp circuit using a 12 gauge extension cord with no problem. The 120V at the outlet was down just a few volts at the camper. I used the microwave too, but never both at the same time.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #29
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
We have been exceedingly frugal with energy so far. For nine nights of camping we've only used not even 3 gallons of propane. I want to be a little less frugal now with the heater at night, especially. thanks for all of your feedback.
Or, have to buy a case of wooden matches!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #30

1000 vs 2000 watt generator for A122?

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431572756.735584.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  60.4 KB
Use this chart as a guide
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431572778.668396.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	76895
After a cold night my TT battery was 12v, I also watched a couple hours of HD TV via a notebook using the battery too. It took close to 3 hours to charge the TT battery to 100% using the gas generator. The 2K gen is powerful enough for the microwave oven but not the AC.

Now I use this battery to power up my tv/notebook and recharge all my gadgets:

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431573394.260587.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  51.2 KB
After 3 days camping it had 11.7V left and it took over 24 hours to recharge using a 2A charger so I got this last week:

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431573527.594810.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	76897
With this and the gas generator, I should be able to recharge both batteries within 2 hours after a day using battery power.

I got this solar panel to charge my TT battery too but a day of charging is not enough to get it to 100% charged

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431573886.594645.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	76900

I bring both chargers to my trip always plus this power pack, just in case I need a car battery boost and air pump for the tires:

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431573986.610276.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	76901

I have a TT battery cut off switch and a bypass cables so I could attach my spare batteries to the TT to power my furnace at night for emergency:

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431574097.742601.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	76902

This power inverter connected to my spare battery is great but its cooler fan is noisy, it is fine if the TV is on:

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431574381.310577.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	76903

I think having these power supplies let me enjoy my camping experience even more....

Happy camping with battery power!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #31

Quote:
But Deaver, my partner has numerous concerns about it: size, weight, too much generator for what we need. That's why I am trying to solicit more persuasive arguments from you pros who have been using generators. Even tho we have a very small trailer, the A/C would need a 3000-watt, so even a 2000-watt model wouldn't get us A/C. Is there anything else you use your generator for? Do you use gas or propane-conversion for your generator? If it's gas, how do you transport the generator from your home to the campsite? Is there a gas smell left in your tow vehicle? Do you empty the gas after each use so it doesn't get sludgy over time?
My eu2000 runs the Aframe AC no problem. I would also recommend the 2000, it's just more versatile. It can be used to run power tools if needed. Another way you could go is extra batteries and solar? Plenty of youtube videos on how to add extended tanks. As with any gas powered small engine it's best to run the float bowl dry.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #32

Carrying gasoline inside a vehicle is dangerous. It might even be illegal. It's supposed to be carried in an externally vented compartment. Plus are you going to carry a gas can in your car too? Yikes.

With double propane tanks you've got 9 gallons of propane. If you've already got that, why carry gasoline too?

Gasoline sitting in a generator will gum up if stored for a long period. It might not work come spring. Propane won't do that.

As far as I'm concerned, a propane powered generator is the only way to go. One propane bottle will last over a week running the generator for an hour a day, the furnace all night long (temps in the 30s), water heater, stove, and fridge.

One comment about using a generator to run your AC. If your battery isn't fully charged, you'll probably have to disconnect the battery while the trailer is plugged into the generator to run the AC. The battery charger plus the AC is definitely too much for the 2000 watt generators. Everything works fine on your trailer with the battery disconnected and the trailer connected to the generator.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #33

"externally vented compartment".. like a gas tank?

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #34
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
"externally vented compartment".. like a gas tank?

X2........Go find propane after 2am...........propane powered gens Lose power! Won't gum up if you maintain it (them)
Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
X2........Go find propane after 2am...........propane powered gens Lose power! Won't gum up if you maintain it (them)
Propane doesn't lose power. Check out the FAQ on the "US careburation" website: FAQ's
After you do the conversion, you can run it on gasoline or propane, and I haven't noticed any power loss on propane.

Maintenance requires draining the gas tank. PITA.

Propane gens don't run out of fuel, because you've got so much. Only gas gens run out.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #36
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
Propane doesn't lose power. Check out the FAQ on the "US careburation" website: FAQ's
After you do the conversion, you can run it on gasoline or propane, and I haven't noticed any power loss on propane.

Maintenance requires draining the gas tank. PITA.

Propane gens don't run out of fuel, because you've got so much. Only gas gens run out.
Go to Pikes Peak....Extended stay fuel tanks....Next time I need propane I'll give 'ya a call and you can pack those puppies around.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
Carrying gasoline inside a vehicle is dangerous. It might even be illegal. It's supposed to be carried in an externally vented compartment. Plus are you going to carry a gas can in your car too? Yikes.
How do you transport gas for your lawnmower? I don't know about you, but I do carry the gas can inside my cars when I take it, and return from getting it filled. The same with the propane cylinders.

The only legal requirement in Colorado is to remove the portable tank from the vehicle when filling. And a portable gas can cannot be bigger than 6 gallons according to the placard at most gas stations.

Quote:
One comment about using a generator to run your AC. If your battery isn't fully charged, you'll probably have to disconnect the battery while the trailer is plugged into the generator to run the AC. The battery charger plus the AC is definitely too much for the 2000 watt generators. Everything works fine on your trailer with the battery disconnected and the trailer connected to the generator.
As has been posted, the Cool Cat on A-frames will easily run off a 2000 watt generator. It's a smaller air conditioner than almost any other RV has because there is smaller volume to cool and better inherent insulation in the foam panels. The additional 300 watts used to recharge a discharged battery (assumes you can actually get the cheap stock converters to go into bulk mode) is not going to overload anything. The failure of the battery to recharge quickly is a failure of the stock converter to go into bulk charge mode - not overloading a 2000 watt genny.

The cheap stock converters reportedly have issues supplying DC to camper loads without a functional battery to buffer the electronics - read some of the posts in the forums. I would NOT disconnect the battery on my A-frame except during storage.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 - where 30 amp shore power is overkill
dual size 24 batteries to keep the camper warm for a 4 day weekend without hook-ups
camping Colorado and Nebraska one long weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #38
MTA

We use a 1000 watt yamaha with our camper. It is used to only charge the battery and usually keep it only 1/2 full. As for the gas can we do not carry one. I bought one of those hand syphon pumps from walmart to syphon from our vehicle and plastic tied a clamp to the outlet that I can clamp it to the fill cap of the generator. After I am done let the lines dry out and cork the ends of them.
MTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #39

Here is the Final result (almost): Against my better judgment, and most of your recommendations, I caved/gave in to the boyfriend and special ordered the 1000 from the Camping World warehouse. Camping World's computer went down for replacement after I ordered it, so they couldn't tell me when delivery would be. A bit of panic set in because we r going on a 4-nite trip next week. But the 1000 arrived yesterday, just AFTER the boyfriend said he had done more research and decides the 1000 probably would NOT be adequate after all. Arrgghhh! He said any CW store should take the unopened 1000 back for a refund. But when I called our local store, they said the Store Manager would decide whether or not to take it back. We are now on our way to the store to see if we can upgrade to the 2000 generator!
Old 05-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #40
Site Team

Hope you showed him all the posts from those of us who recommended the 2000w, in the first place!😉
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, generator