Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #1

12V power ............

Another question: has anyone added a 12V power jack to their camper? I would like to have a jack that I could plug in a TV or DVD player or other 12V item into.

Has anyone else done something like this? How complicated is it if you have? Pics if you have them would be very much apprfeciated.

One of the main reasons we bought the A122S is for the self contained aspect. A lot of the time we won't be plugged in so anything we can do to enhance the 12V aspect. I am in the process of getting my solar ready. We want to be able to always camp in the spaces that nobody else wants
Old 12-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #2

something like this may work usually seen on tow trucks to connect jumper cables without having to lift hood to clamp to battery.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/high-p...-amp-grey.html
Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #3

What? He wants to run a tv, not a winch.

https://i.imgur.com/RYdw4Ut.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RkUg6iO.jpg

I tapped into the booster wire. It was 12ga and fused at 15A and was only running the booster.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #4

I forgot the smily.

A cigarette lighter plug will do the job for a 12v tv
If he plugs an inverter to the batteries then the heavy connector might be an option.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:55 AM   #5

I used the power for the porch light. Libs the outlet and volt meter. I made my own harness by just wiring each terminal to each other. I added an in line fuse and it works well.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #6

"We want to be able to always camp in the spaces that nobody else wants "

That's easy , for solar to work you need to be out away from trees in direct sunshine.

Car cigar lighter plugs and sockets are nor useful to carry much current , especially if they are outside in the rain.

The best long term 12v solution is a box with 15A -240V socket and a similar 240v plug.

These look almost like the std 120v we all know , but one terminal is 90 deg so it wont fit a 120V socket and a 120V plug can not be put into a 240 socket.

At any home box store , take a look.

These are capable of handling 12V current very well and their" self wiping" contacts stay clean for full voltage.

This concept is used in off grid homes where the use of DC is common and there is NO 240v AC used in the home , so there are no mistakes.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
I used the power for the porch light. Libs the outlet and volt meter. I made my own harness by just wiring each terminal to each other. I added an in line fuse and it works well.
How hard is it to find those wires? do they possibly show up once the microwave is out?
Old 12-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #8

remove the fire extinguisher holder....and the wiring is right there.
I pulled the 12volt from there...and hole sawed into wall underneath the stereo..Put a simple 12 receptical....
it's used for my cpac...and create a breeze fan.

dmo
Old 12-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

I added a USB charging station to my TT and added it to an unused fuse socket on my converter. I was able to run the wire through the utility/storage areas to the place I wanted to add the USB port. It was easier to do it this way than to try to tap into existing wiring and having to calculate if there was enough capacity left on the circuit.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #10

I’ve added both 12v plugs and dedicated 120v inverter plugs. Threads with pics are here someplace.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpiezzzz View Post
How hard is it to find those wires? do they possibly show up once the microwave is out?
Very easy. They are all tucked in behind the microwave. Remove the 4 screws and they are right there. Mine had a crimp connector wire nut. Use the size up on the blade connectors for the 12v plug. This allows you to put 2 16 gauge wires twisted together in one connector
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #12

so now you have multiple ways to do this....lol.
how easy is that to figure out....
it all depends on the model...for me it's a first year A122...

dmo
Old 12-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #13

I tapped the fridge circuit because it was already fused and it would never be used while occupying the camper. I put two power ports were the useless to me cable jack was by changing the faceplace to a oversized nylon blank with two holes drilled in it for the ports.

On the A122S you can route the wire from the fridge compartment through the AC area and into the microwave cabinet by pulling the TV cable back, after attaching a string to it to pull everything back through. Make sure the power outlets are separately fuse protected.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #14

Thanks to everyone! Now all i need to do is gather what i need and do it.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #15

Yep, the previous owner of my 194HW had drilled a 1" hole in the stand over the microwave and had an AC extension cord out through the hole. It turns out it was the PERFECT size to put a 12V cigarette lighter socket in. I wired it up to the 12V power going to the outside light.

I also found that the 12V wires there are black and white... but the negative is the WHITE cable. :/
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Wu
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Car cigar lighter plugs and sockets are nor useful to carry much current , especially if they are outside in the rain.
Nonsense. Do you have any idea how much current an actual cigarette lighter took to heat up?

I don't think anyone is suggesting them for outside use.

He just needs a source for a TV or other small electronics to plug in. 5A, 10A, even 15A would not be a problem.

I put two sets of the jacks like shown in the imgur links above in mine. One next to the radio by the door and the other next to the stove burners by the dinette seat.

I tapped into the wire for the floor night light for the one. Pulled out the microwave for access, but it's actually easier to slide the radio out.

The other side, I ran wire down behind the refrigerator and back under the seat. I used the circuit that goes to the light, but you can get access to any fuse under there.

I cannot believe they do not install these by default. With so many USB-powered devices these days and 12v fans and TVs to plug in, they should be standard. They'd add about $10 to the cost of the trailer.
Doc Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #17

Dual outlet next to the converter. Very short wiring run to the roof vent fan circuit coming off the back of the converter. Very easy access by just lifting the cover over the service area for the water heater, etc.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #18

Here is a writeup I did. Complete with pictures.
Addition of 12V power panel
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #19

I got my receptacles from West Marine because I have used them on my sailboat years ago. I put one outside way below the light using the light wires for power and a second one with a voltmeter over by the co2 detector under the table. Both work well and run everything I’ve hooked up.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #20
rye

Similar to their answers, I used marine outlets on our A122. One between the furnace and fuse panel spliced into the dinette light wires. The other to the left of the door under the sink. Ran the wire first then tidied up with a staple gun and zip ties. This kept both on one side of the camper. Used about 20' of wire.

2014 Rockwood A122
6 nights of campering in 2018 (so far)
rye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power