Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #1

15in Tires on Rockwood HS/HW like A213HW

if 15in tires could be used in place of the 14in tires on these A-Frames, what are the pros and cons of a larger tire?

thanks
steve
stevetoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

I have a similar Jayco aframe with the front deck which includes their Baja package, it has 15" wheels, double entry steps, and 5 inch ground clearance. It makes the camper look a lot more rugged with the off road mud tires, have only backcountry two track camped a few times in it and the extra ground clearance sure helped, the trailer is 24 feet with the deck so it helps not dragging the back end.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

thanks,

would be interested in any thoughts on whether the Rockwood A213HW could have any benefit of moving from it's 14in wheels to 15in wheels and corresponding tires. if even possible

in prep for retirement next year -- I just bought a new GMC Yukon and plan to get an a-frame next year for hitting the road for extended trip moving from east coast to west coast -- visiting friends, parks, forest, and other etc's

then using it often afterward

so running through thoughts models, outfitting, use, maintenance etc..

this will be my first towable camper

steve
Old 03-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
OYO

We have a A213HW with 14s on it. I'd say there is certainly room for 15s.

I'm no expert on trailer tires, but the benefits I would imagine are a little better ride, a little better ware and a little ground clearance. But just putting a bigger rim on doesn't necessarily mean the tire is actually taller. It has much to do with the profile as well.

My opinion would be put your money into higher quality, higher profile 14" tires and save the expense of new rims.

But again, I'm not an expert.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

makes sense -- again I'm new to this towable camper stuff -- so researching as I work toward a purchased and outfitting
Old 03-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

OYO,

what are you pro/con on A213HW -- bed in single king mode versus 2 bunks -- cool cat A/C under single bed use...

thanks
steve
Old 03-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
OYO

Definitely the large bed (6'2" x 6'10")

Had to have a head

No use for an indoor shower

The option for a 3rd bed

We haven't used the cool cat yet. Headed for the keys Wednesday, probably try it out just to be sure it works. Neither of us are AC people.

We've been truck camping almost 30 years so AC is not something we are a custom to.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

thanks
Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

One thing you have to think about is that the 15" tires will raise the step1 or inches.

Tags
tire, tires, rockwood