Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #1

1st Upgrade to my A122S SOUND!

I just picked up my new Rockwood A122S 2 weeks ago and the first thing that I was disappointed with was the sound quality of the Furrion head unit and speakers and I thought it sounded mono. So I popped the cover, 4 screws and sure enough the inside speakers are wired in mono and it's documented that way in the manual too. So I looked for a replacement and found a MB Quart RVM 2.0 for $129 and a pair of Alpine speakers and man what a difference! I forgot to take a picture of the head unit installed but it was a perfect fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alpine.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	221786   Click image for larger version

Name:	A122S Open.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	221787  
Attached Images

LouisvilleTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #2

Mono? Why would they ever do that?
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleTom View Post
I just picked up my new Rockwood A122S 2 weeks ago and the first thing that I was disappointed with was the sound quality of the Furrion head unit and speakers and I thought it sounded mono. So I popped the cover, 4 screws and sure enough the inside speakers are wired in mono and it's documented that way in the manual too. So I looked for a replacement and found a MB Quart RVM 2.0 for $129 and a pair of Alpine speakers and man what a difference! I forgot to take a picture of the head unit installed but it was a perfect fit.
I've been thinking of doing this upgrade to but never saw a head unit that seemed reasonable. I googled that MB Quart RVM 2.0. Have you tried the 2 zone settings? Does it work as claimed? ie- 100% for inside speakers and 0% outside or 0% inside and 100% outside? That's the most amazing issue with the stock system. If you get a chance, can you post pictures of the install of the head unit? Also, if you plug an iPhone in through the USB will it play through the USB connection directly. Stock Furrion does not. If you have multiple devices swapping between the bluetooth connections becomes a pain when its just as easy to plug in through the USB.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
I've been thinking of doing this upgrade to but never saw a head unit that seemed reasonable. I googled that MB Quart RVM 2.0. Have you tried the 2 zone settings? Does it work as claimed? ie- 100% for inside speakers and 0% outside or 0% inside and 100% outside? That's the most amazing issue with the stock system. If you get a chance, can you post pictures of the install of the head unit? Also, if you plug an iPhone in through the USB will it play through the USB connection directly. Stock Furrion does not. If you have multiple devices swapping between the bluetooth connections becomes a pain when its just as easy to plug in through the USB.

Thanks.
Sure I added a pic of the unit installed and powered on. It has 4 dimming settings. Off Low Med and high. The Zone one and two work as they should and can be controlled separately. I will probably add left and right cables for outside speakers. The outside single speaker is on the left channel of zone 2 now. I use an android phone so I can't answer the iPhone USB question. With the Alpine speakers it sounds great. Deep bass and crisp highs. No remote control but I set the volume at mid way and use the TV remote with audio jack (AUX) or use the volume on my android phone or Ipad via Bluetooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20200114_195759.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	221869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	221870  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #5

If it all works as it should...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleTom View Post
Sure I added a pic of the unit installed and powered on. It has 4 dimming settings. Off Low Med and high. The Zone one and two work as they should and can be controlled separately. I will probably add left and right cables for outside speakers. The outside single speaker is on the left channel of zone 2 now. I use an android phone so I can't answer the iPhone USB question. With the Alpine speakers it sounds great. Deep bass and crisp highs. No remote control but I set the volume at mid way and use the TV remote with audio jack (AUX) or use the volume on my android phone or Ipad via Bluetooth.
If you plug your Android device in via USB, the player should see it as a digital storage device and find the mp3s on it. Could you see if that works? If it does, it ought to work similarly with an iPhone.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
If you plug your Android device in via USB, the player should see it as a digital storage device and find the mp3s on it. Could you see if that works? If it does, it ought to work similarly with an iPhone.
Yes I have used the USB to play music from my Galaxy S8 Android and it works great.

Here are specs from MB Quart. First line is Apple support. Also the Usb can charge a device.

https://mbquart.com/rvm2-0/

APPLE® CONTROL
Quick control and access of iTunes collection with iPhone, iPod and iPad.
SOURCE TYPE
AM/FM/Bluetooth®
INPUT TYPES
Bluetooth, RCA, and USB. The USB supports all new technology MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC and WAV files.
BLUETOOTH® CONNECT
Bluetooth® Connect allows your phone or other Bluetooth enabled device to be quickly paired to the controller without a complicated pairing process.
SECURE SIMPLE PAIRING™
Quick and secure wireless connection between your Bluetooth enabled device. This reliable connection is impervious to outside interference, providing a lock-tight connection to your audio system.
QUICK PAIR™
No more frustration with trying to pair. When the unit powers up, it immediately connects to the last device connected. For a first time connection, you only have to select "MB Quart" from your Bluetooth menu and you are connected, QUICKLY.
BUILT-IN POWER
Four channels of output. These channels remain active when running external amplifiers (RCA Output) to run additional speakers in the vehicle.
CONTROL METHOD
Unit is adjusted by master knob and menu selection.
AM/FM TUNER PRESETS
AM: 12 station, FM: 18 station - AM1, AM2, FM1, FM2, FM3 each memorize 6 stations
FREQUENCY RANGE
FM: 87.5 - 108MHz, AM: 520 - 1710KHz
VIDEO INPUT
HDMI Front/Rear, Pass Through
USB / APPLE® / CHARGING PORT
Yes (Front panel, quick charge)
BLUETOOTH VERSION
Version 4.0
DUAL AUDIO ZONE CAPABILITY
Control volume in two different areas independently, such as passenger area and outdoor speakers.
HDMI THRU PUT
All audio and video from satellite or other digital services are pushed to the TV monitor and audio system.
ALARM CLOCK
On/Off Options, Alarm, Sleep, Power Up, Beep
Old 01-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #7

Nice - what size speakers, and did they fit in existing mounts?

I bought 6.5"ers to replace the stock speakers my first year of ownership, but - big surprise - the crappy OEMs were a nonstandard size and the cutouts were too big to mount the 6.5s in. You have inspired me, so maybe I'll rig up an insert this season and finally put them in.

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #8

How about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post

I bought 6.5"ers to replace the stock speakers my first year of ownership, but - big surprise - the crappy OEMs were a nonstandard size and the cutouts were too big to mount the 6.5s in. You have inspired me, so maybe I'll rig up an insert this season and finally put them in.
How about a set of 6"x8" ovals?
Old 01-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
How about a set of 6"x8" ovals?
Nah, the cutout is roughly circular (looks like maybe a child cut it with a jigsaw) and just slightly too big.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #10

Sure!

Quote:
Nah, the cutout is roughly circular (looks like maybe a child cut it with a jigsaw) and just slightly too big.
Sure! Don't you see? Make a template for a 6"x8" automotive speaker and trace it into the wall. Cut it out with a saber saw. The mounting ears on the oval speaker will be way outside the circular hole. The snap on cover should be wide enough to cover the two spots where the oval speaker doesn't quite fill the old hole.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Sure! Don't you see? Make a template for a 6"x8" automotive speaker and trace it into the wall. Cut it out with a saber saw. The mounting ears on the oval speaker will be way outside the circular hole. The snap on cover should be wide enough to cover the two spots where the oval speaker doesn't quite fill the old hole.
Thanks for the suggestion - that could work, though I already have the 6.5s here with no other use. I have plenty of time to think about it before storage season ends.

Ending my inadvertent hijacking now!

Old 01-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:

You are correct they were almost too small for the opening but I managed to position them so I could get a screw in all 4 mounting holes. I do know they make a 6.75" speaker so I would look into those if I did it again.

Tags
a122, upgrade