Old 02-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Angry 2016 T21TBHW Leaks

I just purchased a 2016 Flagstaff HW A-frame (T21TBHW). After setting it up at home, it rained for several days off and on. When finally I was able to check the unit out, I found water on the inside of the cargo area. The wood, where the cargo hatch lid hinge is attached, was soaking wet and dripping drops of water. I went inside and found a large puddle of water on the floor under the double bubble windows. The fabric of the seats did not seem to be wet. A small rug was soaking wet. I have not find the source of the leak.
Also, when lifting the roof with the electric actuator, at the top of its run. The roof stopped, but I then gently pushed up on the roof handle and it locked into place. When lowering the roof it would not come down, but then the roof popped and started coming down as normal. Has anyone heard of a leaking problem with the cargo hatch and lid? Or any of my other problems listed above?
I have contacted the salesman and he passed it on to the service manager but, they have yet to contact me back.

Sailor292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #2

Sailor 292
I have a 2016 Flagstaff t21qbhw. When the roof is raised by the actuator, I also have to lift the right side of the roof to get the two halves to settle into place. The same on takedown, I bump the actuator switch down, then lift up slightly on the right side roof to release the pressure. I have not encountered any leaks .

Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor292 View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Flagstaff HW A-frame (T21TBHW). After setting it up at home, it rained for several days off and on. When finally I was able to check the unit out, I found water on the inside of the cargo area. The wood, where the cargo hatch lid hinge is attached, was soaking wet and dripping drops of water....
I assume you are under warranty, so repair by dealer is one option. May be good or bad, depending on the quality of the service dept (varies widely from dealer to dealer). The dealer will probably apply more caulk (and just that) which may or may not fix the problem.

Your handle indicates a sailing background. If so, you know the only way to have a truly watertight horizontal hatch is to have a raised lip around the opening, along with proper caulking and mounting of the lip, hinge(s), and fasteners.

My A122 doesn't have the front storage area, but my previous Coleman PUP did. From your description, first guess would be the hinge screws/bolts are leaking. Removing and caulking the hinges would probably solve.

On my Coleman, the storage area cover was not a good fit over the opening. Consequently, the gasket would not seat properly and the cover would leak. Replacing the gasket with a thicker one, and putting in sturdier hinges to maintain the alignment of the cover was the fix.

The ultimate fix would be to install a raised lip, and either raise the hinges or install offset hinges. Properly caulk everything of course, and make sure the cover mates properly with the lip.

probably not what you wanted to hear
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
previous 2000 Coleman Westlake PUP
Old 02-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

im kinda with pgandaw... cant give you a bit on the water in the kitchen ... BUT ...
I too did have had issues with a 2005 coachman pup ... with the front box.
So ..with our Aframes .. the water pours onto the joint in the front box, so the seal is probably is damaged, or is not there.
As we sit in our A122 on a rainy night, im totally surprised at the amount of water that pours off that 8 by 10 roof .. no wonder our windows leak.
So this water is pouring onto the front box .. and most likely leaching and getting onto the flooring of the trailer .. depending if you are leveled back to front ... which you have to be.
This could be simply a matter of amount of rain vs the amount of pitch that you may have put on the front side vs the backside of the RV. Too much pitch on the front side will lead to leaks in the front basket
If this does or does not work .. its still dealer time ... as the unit should be able to be set up on an uneven pitch .. even if not supposed to, but i would say from my experience you have a 5% tolerance.

d-mo
Old 02-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Thank all of you for your answers. The unit is at a dealer. pgandaww, Yes I have been sailing for 30 years now. The cargo area does have a raised lip??? Hopefully the dealer will find out the problem. Thanks for everyone's help!!!!! I'll post what happens when I get the unit back.
Sailor292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #6

I don't whether it has a raised lip or not. My unit does not have the forward storage area - it saved space I didn't have in the garage. Ideally, it should have a raised lip to help prevent leaks.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
Old 02-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
OYO

I'll pipe in. Our new A213HW is set up in our backyard bone dry after enduring 1.25" of rain since midnight. It must be luck/chance.

Hope you get it straightened out Sailor.

Tags
leak