Old 07-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #1

2017 hardwall aframe leak

Water enters interior beneath the large bubble window frame and drips on bed. Point of exterior entry unknown. Have caulked with self leveling lap seal around window. Still leaks. What other possible entry points to consider and remedy. Water drips pretty heavy ..as much as a quart
In a 24 hour steady rain. Thanks

TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
Water enters interior beneath the large bubble window frame and drips on bed. Point of exterior entry unknown. Have caulked with self leveling lap seal around window. Still leaks. What other possible entry points to consider and remedy. Water drips pretty heavy ..as much as a quart
In a 24 hour steady rain. Thanks
I know you've caulked it, but I'd go with Eternabond tape.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #3

REad other blogs here on skylight leak problems - everyone reccomends Eternabond.
nautipelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #4

I had the same problem. I eternabonded everything in the area to no avail. The problem turned out to be a broken seal under the hinge for the roof panel. It had to be replaced by a professional.
RichardEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

water leak test it by slowly

putting spray at bottom of windows
let it sit for an hour.
slowly work your way up.
That is how i found my leak.
use
OSI QUAD Advanced Formula Sealant Window Door & Siding CAULKING
ebay 10.00
superal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #6

I had the exact Issue, and solution.

Imagine, you just bought your dream trailer, you are on your maiden voyage, the cool coastal fog rolls in and creates some nice precipitation. As you cuddle in your camper, a rogue drop of water hits your forehead in the early morning hours. No, cant be so, it's new, right? Five drops later I was wondering if I made a mistake. Not a mad rush of water but enough to seek triage. Well, thanks to you all, I discovered literally a pinhole of an opening on the factory window seal. Applied just a 2 X 2 patch of Eternabond, and no more issues. I plan to seal the entire unit, three total roof windows just to prevent it from happening again. What did I discover on the forums? Many of us all have similar 'opportunities' and solutions to make camping life just perfect.
FremontBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
Cloud Rider

Leak source

Before putting caulk on top of caulk remove the interior frame from the bubble window (about 20 small white screws hold the frame to the interior roof panel and 4-6 longer ones are used to hold the blinds to the frame). Then spray water so it runs from the peak down to the window. Then start checking around the frame for leaks beginning at the top. When you find evidence of a leak look closely to see if it may be coming from the peak joint or elsewhere besides the perimeter of the bubble window.
Good luck!
Cloudrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #8

Eternabond for me too; my rear skylight leak apparently came through a very small hole in factory-applied caulk. It doesn't take much!

Nights camped in 2016: 37; 2017: 52; 2018: 47; 2019: 57
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, leak