Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

3 walls and a bed122, Rockwood A

Just got our new Rockwood A122 popup. I was trying to make up the bed today and had a lot of problems getting the Mattress pad and the bottom sheets on.
With a wall on 3 sides it is difficult. I pretty much wrestled with the mattress, and I think the mattress won. I am wondering how others are dealing with this problem.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a different unit but have the bed with 3 walls. I pulled the mattress forward a bit and then get on top to make the bed on the far side. Once the far wall side is done I get off and slide the mattress back and finish up tucking everything in.

Since I camp solo I can use a smaller size blanket and quilt (twin size) since I don't need the extra material to share. However, I do use full size sheets for the full size mattress.

I acually have 3-1/4 walls because of a lower cubby/cabinet unit. In time it will get easier to deal with.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #3

a job I can handle ------------------------ no

I must admit
it sure is not easy for the Mountainman
to make the bed
I let my wife do it
she's a little smaller
seems she get's on the middle of the bed
then works the covers from all around

honey
while you make the bed
I'll be out cleanning the BBQ
a job I can handle

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

one to the reasons we purchased this unit is because ..unlike in PUPs (tent trailers) where you have to make your bed each time you set up ... .. we make the be every so often ... then sleep in it for two days or so ... and change out.
on issues .. not problems ... im happy ....

hey its camping .. d-mo
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

Glad you got your camper, Laura June. Did you take it out yet? Your impressions as experienced Aliner owners?

BTW, in keeping with the theme of the thread, we don't bother with sheets. We use a pair of light sleeping bags that zip together to make one large, bed-sized sleeping bag. Then we just roll it up the long way and stash along the back wall. When it's time to make the bed we unroll it and toss on the pillows.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #6

Like hamguy, we also use just sleeping bags. Sleep in them or on top of them, works for us old backpackers. Easy peezy nice and easy.
Have a Great Day.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #7

Just put the sheets/blankets on our bed last night. Granted, we don't have the same unit as you do, but it is still difficult. Lots of rolling around, tucking, lifting, etc. I use the elastic sheet straps from Wal-Mart to keep the sheets on the bed. We have a short queen and use regular queen sheets, so these help immensely in keeping the sheets where they belong. Someday we'll have a TT where we can walk around the bed. But by then I may be too old and decrepit to do it!! LOL.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

Hi again: Thanks for all the info. Since this unit has a mattress I thought it would be nice to make it up as a bed. It really lays much better than the cushions did in our Aliner. If I have to fight it too much, we will go back to the sleeping bags. The good thing is I only have to this when I wash the sheets. Hamguy asked if we took it out yet. No, I just got all our stuff loaded back into it this week end. The campgrounds have not opened up yet around Lake Redrock, but we did notice some people boondocking in some of them this week end. We should be able to go out in two weeks. Hamguy wanted to know how it compared to the aliner. Well it is about 2' longer, and 500 lbs. heavier. But, when we brought it home from Council Bluffs, it really did not feel any heavier. We are pulling it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hemi engine. It looks like it is going to be a great combination. We are already seeing that it is a much better quality camper than the aliner. I thought we would not have as much storage as the aliner, as it had the front u-shaped kitchen. Actually I found more storage space. The only thing I don't like, is not having the window over the table. Had we not had that before I probably would not miss it. I noticed some of the new Rockwoods have two windows there. Anyway we spent some time in it last night, watching the country music award show. We can't get that station in the house, but got it on the TV in the camper. Made my husband very happy. Overall, I think we are going to be very happy with our A122.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Flagstaff 22FBS

In our A frame originally our bed was the pulled out sofa. The sofa pads are the length of a queen bed but the width is full size. I used a queen size fitted sheet and tucked in the extra width. We replaced our "sofa" pads with a full size (memory foam type) bed mattress, but the making the bed process is the same.

To put a bottom sheet on I get on the mattress, tuck in each back corner, tuck in the back side, stretch the top and bottom length in while backing off the bed. Then I tuck in the front corners and tuck in the front side. I spread out the top sheet then the blanket, climb back on, tuck in the foot of the "top" sheet and blanket. Whew, the bed looks inviting, time for a nap!

We leave the bed made up during the whole trip (usually a week or less). I strip the bed when we get home and wash up the sheets. When clean, I store sheets, pillows and blankets in "space bags" until the next trip, to keep 'em clean and dust free. Making up the bed is a pain, but even in the travel trailers we have owned, there were a similar hassles, so it's nothing unique to A frames.

Gary loads and unloads most of the gear, does most of the driving, grills our food, makes sure everything is secure to travel and dumps the pottie when it's time. Making up the bed is fairly quick and easy once you get a system down. Camping is so wonderful, it's well worth a little trouble. I enjoy "nesting" in our little A frame.

hth,
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Flagstaff 22FBS

Just read your post. Ours does not have the bubble windows in the front either but has one over the bed. I'm kind of glad because it gets a little warm directly in front of them and if you pull the "blinds", you loose the head room anyway. Plus, less places for leaks or rock or hail stone damage...I'm loving the mod about the door screen for more ventilation. When we get some time, we may install a similar thing this year. That's really my biggest complaint, the tiny passenger side window. The 1/2 door screen would defiantly help there.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #11

Hi Deb and Gary: I have not heard about the half screen for the door. This sounds interesting. Where can I get more information?
Laura
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Flagstaff 22FBS

One of our creative members "thehamguy" posted these informative mod(ification) vids.
Here's a link to the 1/2 door screen vid:

Here's another link to a vid for more storage:

Deb

Tags
bed