Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #1

A 122 First Impressions

A 122 First Impressions

Finally picked up our A122, and went off we went. Some first impressions:

Setup – its easy and fast and logical.

Bed – So many on this forum disliked the bed that I had already picked out, (but did not order) a replacement. But we found the mattress quite comfortable and decided we didn’t even want a topper.

Table – We liked the dinette. But the table was wobbly. A full meal almost fell in my lap. I checked the folding legs and they seemed to be correct. Are we missing something?

Screen-Room -For this trip we left it home. But I have high hopes for this!

CD Player – Forest River updated the CD/Radio from the unit I saw. Now has a MP3 player and a USB connection. Nice. Made me think maybe they could have made it a DVD player.

Overall – The overall design/floor-plan/livability we found excellent. Quality of materials, I suppose typical of the industry, just OK. The roofline, high above our heads gave an illusion of space, and we never felt cramped.

Overall a little gem and we love it.
Brian (City-Boy)

Old 09-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Nice impression list !
Have fun !

Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian99R View Post
Table – We liked the dinette. But the table was wobbly. A full meal almost fell in my lap. I checked the folding legs and they seemed to be correct. Are we missing something?
No, you're not missing anything...you will find several posts in here about folks not liking the table for multiple reasons. Mainly, the instability and the heavy weight. Many owners have replaced the original dinette with a lighter material for the table top and a pedestal-style support.

Congrats on your new camper! Enjoy!!!!
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #4

I have the A122. Two bed questions for a newbie:

(1) The mattress has a plug for the heater cord. Once the controller is plugged in, where do you put it when you sleep? Is your head or feet supposed to go at the end with the plug?

(2) Curious whether people prefer to sleep with their head on the end with the sink or the other end where the microwave is? The microwave top seems to provide a nice bedside table. What's your preference?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

I have the A122BH model, so same floor layout, just with the cargo rack in front.

1) I don't think it really matters, as long as the plug isn't grinding into you.

2) I sleep with my head wherever the sun won't hit my eyes in the morning! If it doesn't matter, my head is usually by the sink for some reason. Also, you can put the cutting board over the sink to make it into a makeshift nightstand.

I honestly haven't tried the heated mattress yet, because I camp without shore power, but there are 110v outlets on both ends, so you could reverse the mattress around I guess. I figure using an inverter in a 12v socket (I installed two of them) would kill the battery pretty quickly.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #6

[QUOTE=FarFromStock;250322]No, you're not missing anything...you will find several posts in here about folks not liking the table for multiple reasons. Mainly, the instability and the heavy weight. Many owners have replaced the original dinette with a lighter material for the table top and a pedestal-style support.

Hi FarFromStock,

Yes, that might be in my future. I certainly would like to limit the weight. But for the moment I'm trying to think of something just to stabilize it. Perhaps a bungee chord? A small wood brace? A six-hundred pound weight on top? Maybe an extension on the rear legs.

Brian
City-Boy
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post
I have the A122. Two bed questions for a newbie:

(1) The mattress has a plug for the heater cord. Once the controller is plugged in, where do you put it when you sleep? Is your head or feet supposed to go at the end with the plug?

(2) Curious whether people prefer to sleep with their head on the end with the sink or the other end where the microwave is? The microwave top seems to provide a nice bedside table. What's your preference?
Hi Tinsu,
I'm a newbie as well - so listen to the many here with already years of experience.

That said, I have not used the plug on the mattress; I'm in Florida and its summer so I don't imagine we'll try it for some time.

I slept with my head on the sink side. Why? Not sure, but it felt right. Perhaps because we are opposite the door. Like the Godfather in a restaurant, keeping our back to the wall and the front door in view.Brian
City-Boy
Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian99R View Post
I slept with my head on the sink side. Why? Not sure, but it felt right. Perhaps because we are opposite the door. Like the Godfather in a restaurant, keeping our back to the wall and the front door in view.
That's what we do too!!!!!

2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote