Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

A-126 Trailer Hitch Dolly

Looking for a good trailer hitch dolly to manuver our camper into the garage. Anyone have suggestions or locations? Thanks, John

Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #2

Someone suggested this one when I asked about a dolly to help get my A122 into a garage at the end of an L shaped driveway. I have not purchased it yet since I am waiting for the garage to open up. Do you think this would help you?

Trailer Dolly

Old 10-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Rockwood Premier A126

My boss has one of those dollies. It works very well rolling his small utility trailer on concrete.

We just use a floor jack when moving our A126 around our pole barn. It's very doubtful our method is OSHA approved, however.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #4

I have this dolly and used it before I learned how to back my A126 into the garage by myself. It works great. I still sometimes pack it in case there's tight maneuvering at a campsite.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by clma23
I have this dolly and used it before I learned how to back my A126 into the garage by myself. It works great. I still sometimes pack it in case there's tight maneuvering at a campsite.
Welcome to the forum. Another member, backpacker3, is also from Omaha. I'm about 125 miles east, in the Des Moines area, and Laura June is about 45 miles east of me. A-frames are starting to make inroads in the heartland!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #6

Hi hamguy! Thanks for the welcome! Before my A126 I had a B+ and it was probably one of the only few for many miles. I'd flown to NM to get it.
Seeing as there are several of us in close proximity we should meet up!

Have you camped out at Spook Cave in Mcgregor, IA? I was to go this year but it didn't happen. Maybe next year. I pass through and by Des Moines at least several times a year.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Mostly Harmless

I camped at Spook Cave some years ago, when I was a school principal in Elkader, which is not far from there. The whole area up there is great camping territory. Pikes Peak State Park has breathtaking views of the Mississippi valley.

When you cruise past Des Moines on 35/80 you pass within 2 miles of our place as you go by the Hickman Road, Douglas Avenue, and 86th street exits. Honk next time!

Closer to home, you should try Lake Anita State Park, just outside the town of Anita, some 60 miles east of Omaha. It has a large area with hookups and a smaller tenting area, which is where we always set up. It's on a hilltop and you can see for miles. There's a nice fishing lake with a miles-long bike trail around it. The hookup area is usually fully booked but the tenting area often has spaces available w/o reservations, and they were to have built a new shower house there this year (we went to Alaska with the camper this summer so we haven't been back to Anita to see). There's a good steakhouse in town.

Even closer to Omaha is Prairie Rose State Park, and just outside Des Moines is Jester Park, one of the best county parks around, complete with elk and buffalo.

Our first trip with the A128 was to Ft. Kearney State Park in April, 2011, to see the Sandhill Crane migration. The huge windstorm we sat through while there showed us how well the camper handled winds up to 60, not that we'd want to do that again.

It would be fun to do a group camp somewhere next summer. We'd look like a little Alpine village, all clustered together like that.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

You would be hard pressed to try to manuver a trailer of this size and wieght with this hitch dolly, I know, I have one. Made for smaller trailers and popups, it works well but extra assistance is needed if you have to push it up an incline, above 5 degrees. I have a post here somewhere, detailing what I did, to get the trailer in and out of my garage with 2-3 inch clearance space on either side ...

d-mo
Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #9

Agree with d-mo, it is not the easiest thing to do with an unpowered dolly.