Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #1

A/C Vent or Drain

Hello, I a, the proud new owner of an A122BH and I love it! Just returned from a 5,249 mile road trip, 13 nights in our camper, from WA to OH to KS and back home. My question is about the A/C...no matter how long we ran it, there was no moisture coming out of the drain tubes. Once, we saw quite a lot of water just coming out the side screen/vent, but only the once. Should I been concerned that the water is remaining somewhere near the unit? I worry about water damage in there.

Ami
A122BH
2008 Ford Edge
Iamamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like drain is plugged.
Take cover off and clean it.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #3

Cleaning the tubes should solve the problem. When the Coolcat is in use, the camper should be leveled with the door side slightly higher the service side to facilitate drainage.

I suggest you remove the cover to the AC compartment and check for water leakage. It is probably not a problem but it is good to be sure. Raise the bed like you do to access the underbed storage. Remove the screws on the cover on the right then pull off the plywood. You have some room for a visual inspection too, through the sliding storage compartment on the service side.

Water or not, it is a good idea to look in there once anyway, IMO, just to get the picture of what is under the cover.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #4

A/c Drain

I have noticed the same. No water coming from the outside A/C tubes. I did take the panels off on the inside of the trailer. I found no water of any sort collecting there. This was after several hours of the A/C running. I looked into the out side grill cover with a flash light and did not see what looked like any sort of blockage. The outside A/C grill cover on the camper is really sealed up nice with caulk all around and on all the screws. Hate to mess that up to check the tubes. This is a brand new camper also.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #5

I had the same problem with my 19qbhw this weekend. This was our 5th outing with. In addition to the two tube on the outside grill mine has a large drain tube under the unit that normally drains the water. I have never had any come out of the tube on the side. This weekend water seeped out of the bottom of the grill cover. I looked under the bed at the drain pan and it was dry. I am probably gonna have to remove the cover th o see what's going on. Still don't understand why the drain tube don't drain.
BigGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #6

A/C condensation drain.

Yep, very confused as to why no condensation draining. It was very hot and humid the days I ran our A/C yet no water noticed anywhere. I put a flashlight right up into the grill on the out side and could not find any water anywhere. The thru the grill tubes did not seem to go in very far and then they met the unit. As mentioned before, I pulled all the lids off the boxes inside the trailer and found no water anywhere. Are these some sort of frost free units ?? I think maybe it may be time to ask Forest River what is up with this. Having had roof mounted A/C on other campers, the water always ran off the roof like Niagara Falls in the hot and humid weather. Thanks for sharing in this discussion. Hope we find some answers. I am in Ohio, and soon running the A/C will not be an issue.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do you guys know if you have the brisk air II units?

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cover looks like this.

Name:   uploadfromtaptalk1441747226131.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  5.2 KB

Four screws hold cover on.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #9

A/C drainage

Turbs. The Forest River A frames do not use a roof top style A/C unit. It is a Cool Cat. It looks more like a window air conditioner. It is composed of actually two units. The compressor is mounted flush with the outside wall and then duct work goes to a inside unit that then blows the cold air. It is also a heat pump using sort of reverse action of the conditioner to then push heat. All new to me. I am familiar with the roof top that you have shown. Not what we have in our A frames. Thanks for wanting to help.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I see.
I'm going to look it up thanks.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #11

Turbs, my bad. It is a Cool Cat Air conditioner. Sorry. I have an Arctic Cat something else.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

This is an interesting AC / Heat pump unit. Found this don't know if this is your unit. on paragraph 19 page 6 it talks about a drain plug being unplugged during Heating.... Do you suppose the condensation evaporates when in the cooling cycle similar to a residential refrigerator? EDIT: paragraph 8 page 5 does talk about drain tube. Guess my thoughts are likely wrong..Sorry to muddy the waters.
http://www.nancyemmert.com/region6/R...cool%20cat.pdf

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #13

It is interesting so I looked at mine, can see two drains coming through the outside grill. Read the manual as noted last post. Says thermostat should be mounted 54 inches above the floor, that's a laugh, and it should not be near a door, another laugh!
As most of you know, the controls are in the doorway console along with the stereo controls. No clue where the thermostat could be?
Old 09-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #14

A/C Drain

Gashog. You could be very right. I have tried to get more info from the Internet, but not getting much. I think maybe a chat with Dometic or Forest River or both, might be in order.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #15

I have also noticed no dripping while the unit is operating. I suspect that this the the same design that most "widow" units for homes now use. The water extracted by the evaporator coil (the cold one where air exits inside in the A/C mode) is channeled to a pan below the condenser coil (the hot one where the air exits to the outside). This water then helps cool the hot coil as it vaporizes, helping efficiency.

Looking at the manual, they do show a pan below the condenser coil. I think that the clear tubes are just for overflow use if the pan becomes filled.

If this is true, then it is surely necessary to have the camper properly leveled for the system to work. Having the side opposite the door and/or the rear of the camper just a bit low should be fine, since it would would allow the water to flow in its proper direction. The reverse may cause the water to pool in the wrong place, although this may be rhe reason for the floor drain.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #16

Bluepill, I think you have it. Thanks so much.

Tags
drain, vent