Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #1

A couple of mods (speaking very loosely)

Calling these mods is generous - maybe "solutions" would be more appropriate - but I thought it might be helpful to some for me to pass on some of the most effective additions I have made to my A-frame.

First, I have seen several inquiries over the years about what A-frame owners do to hang novelty/party lights without an awning. I don't have any type of awning, so soon after buying my trailer I attached some small Command hooks (outdoor variety) to the bottom edge of the front roof panel and I hang a string of 10 lights from there. I don't really see them that often when outside, but they at least make my trailer (and site) more easily identifiable in the dark.
Currently I have rainbow trout when on an AC hookup and some battery-operated LED Chinese lanterns when dry camping. The hooks are now in their fourth season and none have broken yet - I am impressed at this.

Second, a less obtrusive TV (television, that is) antenna: Given the limited amount of counter space, I was never thrilled about setting up rabbit ears or other freestanding antenna, and I don't have an outdoor antenna. So I slipped one of the flat plastic antennas in the netting attached to the wall inside (in this case the rear of the "driver side" wall as pictured). I have a 10- or 12-foot coax cable that can be routed to either the bedside counter or stovetop cover, depending on where I put the TV on any given trip. I also attached a slip-on F-connector to the TV end of the coax cable to avoid having to screw it on every time. When not using the antenna I coil up the cable and slip it into the net with the antenna. (Really this is the only viable use I have ever found for the netting, other than maybe slipping books or magazines into it when parked. If anyone has other uses I would be interested in hearing!)

Generally the antenna works about as well as rabbit ears at picking up strong signals, and it is much less obtrusive. If there are not strong signals in the area I'm not interested in the hassle of dealing with another antenna to pull them in. The presence of a strong signal just turns out to be a bonus on the trip.

My antenna is here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mohu-le...?skuId=7623356 and I got it for under $10 on a daily deal. There is also a larger version from this brand that may be more effective with weaker signals, and there are other brands as well.

I hope these are helpful to somebody!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_091627320_HDR.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	207387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_091642026_HDR.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	207388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_091413680.jpg