Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #11

Thank you for the instructions and pics!! I kept my old original actuator so I can play around with that and not worry about screwing up something important.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #12

Craig,

Would love the directions/parts needed. Alwasy thought the factory motor was inadequate. Thanks.

LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
Thank you for the instructions and pics!! I kept my old original actuator so I can play around with that and not worry about screwing up something important.
I can't do much better than what I did in post 7 of this thread.

Craig
OYO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #14

Trying to get my head around this. When going up with the drill, does it reach its stop point on its own or do you have to be careful and stop short and push it in the last inch. With our electric when it reaches its last stop we always give one more shove to lock it in place.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #15
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcangler View Post
Trying to get my head around this. When going up with the drill, does it reach its stop point on its own or do you have to be careful and stop short and push it in the last inch. With our electric when it reaches its last stop we always give one more shove to lock it in place.
Give it a nudge on the actuator side then push the door side the rest of the way. Pretty much like with the motor. I set the clutch on the drill to max just in case it goes too far, but I doubt it could.

There's very little preasure/torque on the drill. The gears in the actuator makes it so.

Craig
Old 02-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #16

OYO, in regards to actuator replacement. I just bought a new one and it came with the solar plug electrical hook up. I have tried to attach old electric to the new..red, to red, neg to neg..but I am not getting any power. I had power before, just a bum motor. Now, new motor and no power. Suggestions for this newbie camper owner? I am trying to attach it on the side, versus going underneath. If I must, I will, but don't know where to start and can't find any wiring guidelines to help. Thanks
Cksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksb View Post
OYO, in regards to actuator replacement. I just bought a new one and it came with the solar plug electrical hook up. I have tried to attach old electric to the new..red, to red, neg to neg..but I am not getting any power. I had power before, just a bum motor. Now, new motor and no power. Suggestions for this newbie camper owner? I am trying to attach it on the side, versus going underneath. If I must, I will, but don't know where to start and can't find any wiring guidelines to help. Thanks
Not sure I understand about the side vs underneath. You should be able to attach a 'solar' plug to the original wire coming out of the wall, plug it in and be set to go.

If that doesn't work I suggest putting a multimeter on the plug coming out if the wall and have an assistant push the actuator switch by the door to see if there is current on the wire coming out of the wall.

Craig
Old 02-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #18

I attached the solar wiring that came with it, though did not find it easy, as the trailer wires are tiny in comparison to the solar wires. Maybe my connections are not good. This is what I have done so far (pic). Not having a helper can be problematic! I pushed the elevate button on the other side and get nothing. When the old one was on, I at least got a grinding sound from the bad motor!Click image for larger version

Name:	actuator.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	196508

Thanks for your help
Old 02-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #19
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksb View Post
I attached the solar wiring that came with it, though did not find it easy, as the trailer wires are tiny in comparison to the solar wires. Maybe my connections are not good. This is what I have done so far (pic). Not having a helper can be problematic! I pushed the elevate button on the other side and get nothing. When the old one was on, I at least got a grinding sound from the bad motor!Attachment 196508

Thanks for your help
I suspect your connection is bad or you have a blown fuse. You really need to figure out if you have power to the wires or connect the actuator to another 12v power supply just to see if it works.

Did you try up and down on on the switch?

This thread: Roof actuator replacement
discusses installing the newer actuator. I have not done so.

Craig
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #20

OK. thanks. I will look into both. Let it be a fuse!

Tags
a-frame, frame, power