Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
A-Frame Accessory Manufacturer

Talking A Frame Campers and Wind Dangers

Would anyone like to have an open discussion about wind dangers and the AFrame camper? Maybe share your experience and hopefully educate new owners to the dangers of wind and small campers. I've seen some of the brief discussions posted a while back but since then many new owners have come on board. Learning is always good. Thanks
rfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

We were camping three weeks ago when a storm came through with 50-60 mph stright winds. lost the ez-up the camper shook a little but nothing that worried us.
RenFaire Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #3

I personally have looked at Aliner, Chalet and the Forrest River A frames. In my humble opinion FR has a heavy duty unit compared to the others. I would never recommend staying in a camper of any kind during a wind storm especially an aframe of lightweight unit. I would always close her up if I had time and seek shelter if no where else in the car.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #4

with the way FR roofs lock into the sidewalls of the unit, i found this to be a non-issue ...plus the wieght of these little units. however putting it up and taking it down in windy conditions could be an issue plus falling tree limbs and such ...
how do i know about falling tree limbs ... well one day after having my back window sealed at the dealer with 3m extreme tape, a wind storm came through our area, dropping a limb onto the window of the trailer .. and cracking it ....
its just not my lucky week ....

d-mo
Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloyd View Post
Would anyone like to have an open discussion about wind dangers and the AFrame camper? Maybe share your experience and hopefully educate new owners to the dangers of wind and small campers. I've seen some of the brief discussions posted a while back but since then many new owners have come on board. Learning is always good. Thanks
Here is High Wind damage to a small fold up camper,and some Lucky Big campers! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0629121928.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	42388   Click image for larger version

Name:	0629121934.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	42390  
Attached Images

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #6

D-Mo man sorry about your limb misfortune. I camp often in a park in Tallahassee Fl and the place has really tall pine trees. I have seen limbs fall off those trees and break a picnic table in half. The park says they are not responsible. I always try to avoid parking under one of those trees. A limb would destroy my beloved aframe for sure. I think the FR latches are by far much stronger than the other brands but the latch is only as strong as the material it is mounted in. These campers use aluminum and very thin wood paneling to maintain the lightweight construction so no latch is going to hold mounted in these thin lightweight materials. It is always better to fold the unit if time allows and exit to a safe place. I sure hope nobody was hurt in this damaged pop up. Wind is not our friend. I think we are safer in the car if a storm comes up. Do you carry a weather radio with you?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

photos of Wind damge

Here are some photos of unfortunate situations where wind got the best of an Aframe camper. Riding out a storm is not a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Damage Expedition Right Front.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	42402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Damaged Expedition front roof panel left side.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	42403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Damaged Expedition lf corner.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	42404  
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Ugh Randy! Those pictures are telling!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #9

The dangers are real. Safety first always. I just shutter to think what it would be like to ride out a storm and have this happen. Chis Mendoza gives a first hand account of his experience when his beloved Snoopy was destroyed, very scary. He said it took about 3 seconds. Fortunately him and his wife were not injured physically. Others have told what it was like to observe outside the camper and it too is very scary. Campers are replaceable, people are not. Get in a building a car or anywhere there is adequate shelter. Don't depend on these lightweight campers to protect you. They were never designed for that. Keep the education going. Lets protect our fellow aframers!!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Let's be honest there is no camper or house that will protect you in high winds. People need to use common sense and not rely on this guy's post as he is selling Aframe wind tie downs. This guy doesn't even camp.
SurveyorWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Getting the popcorn ready!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #12

Rascal RV
Your words are true regarding neither camper nor house protecting you during high wind and using common sense. Very well stated and I agree with you totally. That is precisely my point. I also readily admit to your next statement but I am not on here to do that. As you are probably aware this is not the place for trying to sell something. It is forbidden.

The sentence regarding I "don't even camp" well I do disagree with. I just completed a 16 state camping trip where I camped at Musicland campground in Branson MO, Two Rivers campground in Nashville TN, Carolina Crossroads in Roanoke Rapids NC, KOA in Yemassee, SC, Tallahassee RV Park Tallahassee FL, and Springridge RV Park Clinton MS. I left home on October 11 and returned October 31st. During this entire time I lived in my 2005 Aliner Classic DL. Other times this year I camped in Georgia, Alabama, Pennsylvania, WV and Arkansas. To validate this if you prefer I can post some copies of receipts where I paid for the camping fee.

I am not your enemy, I am not trying to take anything away from anyone. I am a fellow camper trying to have an open, honest discussion about the dangers of wind and lightweight campers. I apologize if during this process I offended you or any other fellow camper in any way. Why the hostility I thought all had something in common A frame campers? I welcome your input.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #13

Karl, thats a pretty harsh post.

Randy is a very experienced A Frame camper, he's not 'some guy' who know nothing about the A Frame camper....He was obviously passionate about protecting his Aliner from wind damage enough to have created a product that would help in wind situations. I dont see him pushing his Wind Cheeta product down at anyone (which by the way, is popular and well known amongst the Aliner crowd)

When Randy said he was looking at selling his Aliner and getting a Forest River model, I encouraged him to visit our boards. He didnt come here trolling...he had already told me how much he had learned about FR product from our threads. If you look at the early threads/topics when this Forum first started, you will note that wind was a definite concern for the people looking at the first generation of FR A Frames.

I am tickled that Randy is looking at defecting to FR! LOL!! Most Aliner owners are hard core loyalists, this tells me that FR is truly being recognized as a quality product amongst the other A-Frame brands

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 11-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #14

Tamara,
We will kinda go off topic gently because you raise an excellent point regarding FR being a "quality product". This is not to say all other Aframe campers are inferior but it makes not matter how good your camper is, it is worthless if you cannot get it in the hands of the consumer timely. FR is doing that and doing it very well. In addition side by side comparison shows the FR product is better made in my honest opinion. I found it very interesting on my last camping trip when I stopped in and visited with several aframe dealers. One gentleman at Camper World said it best "the dealer is a customer too". "Manufacturers who recognize this will survive and the ones that don't will fade away". Right now dealers are unhappy with CNW's product delivery backlog. Danny's camper who has always led the charge for the Aliner product has been forced to take on Trailmanor to fill orders, very sad. Their words not mine. The dealer in Shreveport La dropped the Aliner due to no parts, no service and what he said was declining quality again his words not mine. During this same time FR is introducing new models, improving what they have and providing repair and parts access that is probably the "best in the industry". Dealers words not mine. FR has one of the largest networks of selling dealers therefore you don't have to travel too far to find help if you need it. This will continue to make FR the industry leader when it comes to the Aframe camper. It is truly a quality product supported by a large quality manufacturer and a large quality network of dealers. IMHO. Back on subject I do believe the FR product is sturdier than other brands but would still avoid staying inside it when there are high winds. Why risk damage to our beloved campers. Fold that baby and go in a building or the car.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalRv View Post
Let's be honest there is no camper or house that will protect you in high winds. People need to use common sense and not rely on this guy's post as he is selling Aframe wind tie downs. This guy doesn't even camp.
Bottom line, if it offends you, don't read it! I have a 5er and find it interesting.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #16

Randy, Thanks for explaining that. I should clarify what I meant by "recognized as a quality product amongst other A Frame brands" is that in my personal encounters with Aliner and Chalet owners (at RV shows and dealerships) it seemed that FR was not welcomed by the other brands in the marketplace. When we looked at Aliner, the dealer put down FR as inferior (never mind it was a new product) and said Chalet was overpriced. In browsing the internet on diff oitdoor forums I noted that many people (who'd not even looked inside a FR) put it down because its entry price was so low, with the assumption low price equated poor build.

I was happy to discover the FB group that yu and I interract on becauae all brands & owners come together for the comeraderie of A Frame ownership.

I like the FR Forum because it keeps me apprised of what brand specific issues to be aware of and for technical help pertaining to FR products specifically when needed.

Its pretty nice to read comments from other brand owners, such as yourself, complimenting the FR brand...as when I bought mine, it had only been in the A Frame market a year....

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 11-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #17

I love FR A Frames and love the value. If I were a marketing genius and I wanted to take over a market I would build a superior product then price it below the competition. Heck as big as FR is they could take a loss on these babies. Personally I think FR is doing everything right while CNW is asleep at the wheel. Sad because there is room in the market for all. How can you charge more for a product then make the customer wait months to get it. No aframe is that good. Hey Old Coot are you lovin that popcorn? :-)
Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #18

"High winds" is entirely vague. It means something different to each person. Until an evidence based MPH wind rating for Forest River A Frames is given, any proposition of danger is just speculation and FUD mongering. (Fear, Unease & Doubt) A popular technique for selling untested remedies for vague problems.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #19

We often have sustained winds here in Arizona of 35-45 mph with gusts in the 50's. I had asked my dealer about that because they were leaving their a frames up for extended periods of time. Their answer to me was that if they don't show the quality of their product, who would buy it? Good point.
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #20

I should also add that I don't advocate trying to stay out in strong winds all the time. I tend to err on the side of caution, but that is just me.
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, frame, a-frame