Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

A-Frame Campers! Do you use AAA or some other roadside service?

Going to be on the road by myself or with my daughter and I am wondering if I want to have AAA or some other service just in case? Anyone use something like that? Is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RRRCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

We keep AAA for tow protection and the included extras (maps, apps). Be sure to get the coverage for long distance towing and retrieving both the camper and the tow vehicle.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRCubed View Post
Going to be on the road by myself or with my daughter and I am wondering if I want to have AAA or some other service just in case? Anyone use something like that? Is it worth it?

I bought a subscription with extra towing to cover me during my road trip this summer. Normally I just rely on the tow benefits from my insurance. It's not great but it will help in the odd chance I need a tow.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Not an A frame but we carry good Sam. I think good Sam or coach net are basically the same. Have had both at different times. Check with all of them to make sure you will be covered in the areas you are travelling as some may have blackout areas.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

After seeing this asked in several forums and on Facebook posts, I came to the conclusion that AAA was the most available and reliable. Of course, there were some pros and cons to all, but AAA seemed to have the most votes. I guess it makes sense--they have been around the longest and have the most serve areas around.

I already had AAA, so just updated to AAA Plus RV.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #6

Our USAA automotive policy already has roadside assistance option for the tow vehicle. Not sure about whether tow of the A-frame is included on either policy.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

Just a quick FYI--

While AAA coverage is effective almost immediately, the addition of RV coverage will not be in effect for 7 days after receipt of full dues. At least that's what they told me when I upgraded from basic to AAA Plus RV last month. Had I been aware of that, I would have added it a week before my trip started, rather than the night before I left, just in case I had any problems. I didn't have any problems, so no issue for me, but I thought it was worth mentioning to ensure that you have the coverage you want prior to your travels.

2016 Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP
2007 Chevy Trailblazer
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
stlouielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #8

Extra info;
Our auto insurance had only minimal tow coverage (20 miles) and since we are often far from civilization we needed more. Also consider, if your TV quits you may need the camper for lodging till the TV can be repaired. It sometimes takes a day or two just to source parts. Nor would I want to leave my camper beside the road for any length of time.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #9

I use allstate roadside service premier plan with RV coverage added . Pays for towing both TV and trailer if disabled up to 100 miles. It also covers motorcycles which most other plans don't . I get it through AARP but also available if not a member at higher cost.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Our USAA automotive policy already has roadside assistance option for the tow vehicle. Not sure about whether tow of the A-frame is included on either policy.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Typically a trailer becomes a commercial tow and isn't covered without obtaining extra coverage.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #11

We have been members of AAA (CAA in Canada) for the past 33 years,
When we bought our first trailer (a hard top Aliner) we upgraded to
AAA/CAA RV Plus. The reason being if your TV breaks down, AAA will
send TWO tow trucks. One for your TV & one for your TT.
An added benefit to AAA is the free maps. My wife is the navigator
& prefers maps. Yes we do have several GPS's but she prefers the
"Big Picture" that a map gives you. So when we travel which is often
we have not only the maps of each state plus maps of major
cities along our route. These are all free at AAA and there's AAA
offices in all major cities. They also offer free Tourbooks. These
include hotels but also the attractions in each city in a short concise
package. They will say something like "allow 3 hours to visit" so
we can plan our time.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRCubed View Post

I been a member of AAA since I was 16 I am now 64 . I started with aaa then a few years back I was driving to work 50 miles 1 way so I changed to aaa plus and the wife was 25 miles to work That gives me 4 tows a year up 100 miles so if I or she broke down we also had a ride home and have car towed home. For $110.00 a year its a cheap form of insurance. Now we are at RV Pulse and I still look at for peace of mine I have a tow for 200 miles if I need it. They do so much from lockout to dead battery to out of gas and in some cases bail. Just a short tow or road service will cost 75.00 or more So its smart to have it
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #13

We've had Good Sam Emergency Road Service for 17 years. It's awesome. It covers any vehicle we are driving or towing, unlimited tow miles to get to a qualified shop, covers lock outs, gas delivery, help for hotel or medical assistance and more...I like it much that we purchased it for my Mom when she got her Class B.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouielady View Post
Just a quick FYI--

While AAA coverage is effective almost immediately, the addition of RV coverage will not be in effect for 7 days after receipt of full dues. At least that's what they told me when I upgraded from basic to AAA Plus RV last month. Had I been aware of that, I would have added it a week before my trip started, rather than the night before I left, just in case I had any problems. I didn't have any problems, so no issue for me, but I thought it was worth mentioning to ensure that you have the coverage you want prior to your travels.

Thank you!!!! That is good to know!

RRRCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouielady View Post
Just a quick FYI--

why did you wait till the night before you leave on a trip? should have bought it when you were going to buy your TT
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
why did you wait till the night before you leave on a trip? should have bought it when you were going to buy your TT

Not that it should matter to anyone but myself WHY I didn't purchase it sooner, I was trying to decide which coverage, if any, I wanted to purchase. And then, between life, work, an illness, and a death in the family, the decision moved to the back burner until I remembered it the day before the trip.

2016 Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP
2007 Chevy Trailblazer
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
stlouielady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, camper, frame, service