Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 02:05 AM   #1

A-Frame Fantastic fan issue

I've been watching to see if anybody else had encountered this problem, but I've seen nothing on it so far.

On my Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as A213HW), as I'm closing it down, as the lower roof is passing the fantastic fan, it drags across the top of the fuse cover. The first time it happened, I didn't notice until I went to use my fan and found the fuse and cover missing. (and I REALLY needed the fan for that outing... ) The Fantastic fan people were truly fantastic and shipped me a new fuse, cover and base. But the very next time I lowered the roof I watched it as the lower roof once again sheared off the cover and dropped the fuse. I recovered both pieces and just put it back when I want to use the fan, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Anybody offer any better solutions?

Thanks!
ptchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #2

Some 2016 models had issues with roof sag. I know because mine did. Is it possible your forward roof is sagging in the middle? It'd be pretty easy to tell, hold a string across the outside of the roof nice and tight, if its got a bow in it, you'll see it.

FR replaced my roof, no real issues other than a really long wait on parts.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #3

What you're experiencing should happen. Look into that potential roof sag and if discovered, get the warranty process started ASAP.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv70sFords View Post
Some 2016 models had issues with roof sag. I know because mine did. Is it possible your forward roof is sagging in the middle? It'd be pretty easy to tell, hold a string across the outside of the roof nice and tight, if its got a bow in it, you'll see it.

FR replaced my roof, no real issues other than a really long wait on parts.
I tried the string thing and if there is any sag at all, it's miniscule - less than a half an inch. I tried it at several points along the forward roof line. How much would I see if that was the problem?
Old 12-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

My issue was with the rear roof, and it sagged about 3/4 of an inch on its worst days. The issue was temperature related, so it didnt always present itself.

You could have an issue, but its possible your roof is fine. I would advise a trip to your dealer. something is definitely screwy. Could be the roof, could be the install of the fan. Could even be a misplaced seal on the rear roof section grabbing at that fuse cover. I cant see it requiring a lot of force to pop loose.

For what its worth, getting this stuff fixed sucks, but I still wouldnt trade my aframe in on anything else. I have WAY too much fun in it.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv70sFords View Post

For what its worth, getting this stuff fixed sucks, but I still wouldnt trade my aframe in on anything else. I have WAY too much fun in it.
Me too.

All campers require, shall we say, attentive maintenance. But the real value is the fun with them. Places, times, people and experiences that you would otherwise not have.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #7

Yes, I love it when everything is working properly. I will be taking it in for repairs. There is certainly something wrong and I need to get it fixed while still under warranty. At least I'm thankful to have it in for repairs during the winter down time.

I appreciate all your thoughts and opinions.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #8

Our fantastic fan has a lever that you turn to secure I after you crank it down.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
Our fantastic fan has a lever that you turn to secure I after you crank it down.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Mine does too, but the issue is that when raising or lowering the roof the rear roof panel snaps off my fan fuse cover.

Tags
a-frame, fan, frame