Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

A-Frame foam seal issue

Has anyone had their seal fail (come apart when taking it down) for their new unit?
I did a walkthru the other day on the A212HW and as the guy was showing me how to close the unit, the seal at the top came unglued. I ended up just leaving it there due to other issues (trim was scratched, seal coming apart, nails sticking out on inside of storage, etc.). They explained to me that this is "normal" due to the heat but is a wty item that they will fix.

Did this happen to you, yet? For a piece of mind, I decided to order a new camper other than the one on the lot.
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Camper View Post
Has anyone had their seal fail (come apart when taking it down) for their new unit?
I did a walkthru the other day on the A212HW and as the guy was showing me how to close the unit, the seal at the top came unglued. I ended up just leaving it there due to other issues (trim was scratched, seal coming apart, nails sticking out on inside of storage, etc.). They explained to me that this is "normal" due to the heat but is a wty item that they will fix.

Did this happen to you, yet? For a piece of mind, I decided to order a new camper other than the one on the lot.
We had the foam seal for the dormer of our A214HW do something similar. The last two inches of foam had lifted up from the panel. This was after 7 months of use. I just re-attached it with some adhesive and it is holding fine.
ugorico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #3

I've got a whole strip missing on one wall that I am not even sure when it came off, and part of one strip on the other. I am assuming it's stuck up in the roof section because it sure didn't just fall out when we were putting it up or letting it down at any point. Got it new back mid May, just noticed it last trip we took a couple weeks ago. Been hard to get the walls to latch in so thinking maybe the seal strip is jammed up in there causing the problem. No leaks though so.. not sure if I should really worry about it or not.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

I have never had any issues with seals, I condition them with https://www.amazon.com/303-Rubber-Pr...otectant&psc=1 which keeps them from sticking to mating surfaces. As far as sidewall seals go mine didn't have seals the full length of the wall, only a few short pieces on each side, you may not be missing anything.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #5

Rubber Seal Treatment

I use the slide out rubber seal treatment that was recommended by the dealer. It sprays out like a foam that you rub in. He did advise to make sure that the seals are clean prior to applying it to ensure is gets absorbed.
Road King Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #6

Road King what is the brand name?
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Rubber Seal Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
Road King what is the brand name?
Here is a link to the product:

https://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-4...seal+treatment
Road King Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

Thanks
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Russ View Post
Is this good for the foam seals AND rubber strips around the camper? When mine comes in, I'd proabably use it on all seals, rubber and foam. Don't want to replace something due to something drying out. It gets hot in az
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame, seal