Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

A-Frame fridge fan mod

Reading another forum, has anyone modded the stock A-frame fridge with this eBay fan mod?
eBay fridge fan mod

It's supposed to be a simple install, It clips to and grounds to the evap fins in the back of the fridge and is powered by the hot lead to the interior light (I can't remember if our fridges have a light in them?) if there is no light you run the wire out to 12v somewhere else.

I have a battery powered recirc fan in the fridge now and it seems to help, but I do still get frost on the fins in longer trips and I'm sure this arrangement would be more efficient.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #2

I made a comment about this in another thread. We never used the fridge in our Aliner because it never got cool enough. Their were lots of threads about fridge fans. On our last trip in the Rockwood, I noticed the fridge was not cool enough and took the outside part of my wireless thermometer and put it in the fridge. It was around 40*. I put a small fan on top of a cooler and aimed it at the lower opening from the outside. The next morning it was 27*. I will be looking for some kind of solution like you pictured.
CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

I have found our fridge to work reasonably well, it will freeze some items on high setting after a day or two if I dont turn it down, but I'd like a quicker cool down time for weekend trips.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Flagstaff 625D Popup

I learned one lesson the hard way. Do not put warm items in the fridge !

We had setup the camper (625D), the fridge was warm and I loaded it up with warm soda. Turned on the fridge and guess what I had the next day...Warm soda (okay slightly cool soda).

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #5

I've not had any major problems with my fridge, but I haven't camped in really really hot weather yet.

This past weekend we camped and experienced some mid to upper 80F temps. That kept the fridge hovering in the 42F range on day 1 until I turned the thermostat down a bit (had it on about 3 or 4 - turned up to between the 5 and 7 on the dial - so 6). Woke up in the AM with 29F. I turned the dial back until I heard the 'click' of the thermostat then back up a tad bit but not far enough to kick the fridge back on.

That kept things nice and cool.

However I can see issues regarding the cooling efficiency. Lots of hot air gets trapped up above the fins on the outside of the fridge area (the vents aren't efficient in promoting convection). I'm going to put a couple (or at least one) fan on my outside fins to push the warm air at the top of the external fridge area on out and promote better cooling. I'm also going to either put the internal computer fan kit on, or at least get a battery operated circulation fan to promote more even cooling inside the fridge.

NOTE: These are two separate items - a fan to move cool air inside the fridge, reduce frost on the cooling fins INSIDE the fridge and the other fan setup is for outside the fridge, to promote movement of air around the condenser.

I would be very interested to see what others may have done on the AFrame fridge. There is NOT a light in these 2 cu.ft. Dometic Fridges in our AFrames. I'm interested in the source for power, how you switched it, etc. for both the inside fan and outside.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
I learned one lesson the hard way. Do not put warm items in the fridge !

We had setup the camper (625D), the fridge was warm and I loaded it up with warm soda. Turned on the fridge and guess what I had the next day...Warm soda (okay slightly cool soda).

Bean
Yep - prechilling the fridge before leaving (plug in and run fridge on 120v while topping off your battery the night before leaving) is a MUST.

I have filled with cold food and beverages and gotten by a few times but pre-chilling the fridge is the best way to go.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #7

I am considering fans as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Reading another forum, has anyone modded the stock A-frame fridge with this eBay fan mod?
eBay fridge fan mod

Thoughts anyone?
I've wanted to ask the same thing and have looked into it myself. I've camped in one location where the weather was in the high 80's and the side of the camper with the refrigerator was exposed to the sun. The unit struggled keeping the temperature under the mid 50's.

I've heard that one of the best solutions is placing fan(s) on outside as well as the inside of the refrigerator. The outside fan moves cooler air over the warm radiator fins and/or removes heat from the compartment. (I noticed that the back of the refrigerator compartment was abnormally hot with both the sun and heat exchange.) The great thing about this mod is that you can make it solar powered. I hope to do in the next few weeks (funds permitting).

On the inside fan(s), I think that you can run the wire to 12v power from inside to the outside of the refrigerator along the thermostat probe on the A series Dometic refrigerators. For my first attempt on the inside air circulation, I will probably opt for the cheaper and less efficient battery powered units. However, I would love to see a comparison of before and after on both methods.

BTW, we should have a good test this weekend as we are expecting temperatures in the mid 90's. In this case, however, our campsite will be heavily shaded.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Yep - prechilling the fridge before leaving (plug in and run fridge on 120v while topping off your battery the night before leaving) is a MUST.

I have filled with cold food and beverages and gotten by a few times but pre-chilling the fridge is the best way to go.
I totally agree with you. We carry a lot of bottled water. Freezing the bottles overnight and placing them in the refrigerator can make a world of difference dropping the temp and keeping it there as well.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #9

These type of units are an absorbtion type using amonia as the cooling gas. These units have to continously circulate the amonia throughout the system in order for them to work and they have to be as level as you can get them. As the amonia circulates it goes from the evaporator, the fins you see inside the fridge and the condenser on the outside of your camper. If the tube becomes blocked with amonia, it cannot circulate as needed. It needs that air gap for a lack of a better word, to allow the amonia to circulate. As others have said, a battery operated fan inside the box helps, place it on the bottom of the fridge. My last TT had a fridge with a light in it and it never really worked right until one day I discovered that the condesation build up inside the fridge had corroded the wire connections of the light in the on position and as hard as it is to believe, that little light generated enough heat over time to warm up the box. I removed the light and the temp. stayed around 40 degrees. A fan or two fans on the outside of the unit used to remove the warm air from the condenser will help. Just be sure to place the fan or fans as high as you can inside the rear of the fridge.If possible, camp with the sun not hitting the fridge side of the camper. I know that this option is almost impossible to achive. Pre cool the unit for at least 8 hours, pre cool all your food. If possible run your fridge on propane. It generates more heat which causes the gas to circulate better, if not, electric power will do just fine as far as I am concerned.That choice is yours. And keep the door closed as much as posible. Every time you open it, cold air goes out. Ouside air temps will effect the units operation as some of you have said. As the outside temps decrease, at night, the fridge usually will work better, unless it is one of those nights where the humidity and wet bulb temp is through the roof. Hope these suggustions help, they are only my opinions and things I have found out over the years. I am no expert on these matters
but I have had my share of learning experiances over the years and I am more than happy to share them with anyone. Happy Camping to All.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #10

I don't think it matters what type of RV you have, these refrigerators have a hard time keeping up in warm temps. The way they are installed plays a big factor, so each configuration brings different problems. The fin mounted computer fan in post #1 is a great help. A computer fan behind the refrig helps also. Venting and air movement are key to keeping it cool along with pre-chilled items when you load. Try the ebay fan, I think you will find it helps.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #11

Im with Backpacker3 on this all the way. Level your camper .. (bal leveler) and pre cool. Then add cold units to the fridge about 4 or so hours later ... no problems.
Both my fridges .. same make in my previous campers worked great this way ...

d-mo
Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #12

On my trip to Texas I stopped for gas about 5 hours from my destination. While at the gas station I turned on the fridge to run on LP. By the time I got there and setup and returned from the store The fridge was ready to go. I did switch it to electricity as soon as I could. Also I use a indoor outdoor thermometer that I put in the fridge or freezer so I can monitor the temp in the TV. On the way back I brought shrimp I had help catch in the freezer, the temp never got above 3F. I use the dual fan setup.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, fan