Old 10-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #11

A-frame full time?

Where would I put my wood shop? Where would my wife put all her sewing stuff? Where would you go for those inevitable moments when you are really angry at your partner? I suppose I could use a ceramic heater to sub for my fireplace, but I'd miss the hissing and popping of the real thing. We spend 2 months of every year in Florida and, at the end of it, I can't wait to get back home. Home is more than a roof over your head.
I've often heard it said that the camper's interior layout or conveniences are less important because you spend most of your time outside. But that's not always true. When the sweat is dripping off you, or the cold and rain are making you shiver, you have to have some place to go.
The idea of full-timing is incredibly attractive. Just think of it! Being able to freely go wherever you want, whenever you want, seeing new places and meeting new people all the time. Wow! Of course, there is the cost of a campsite every night, and I suppose the cost of gasoline would have to be a consideration. And, let's see, where is the nearest dump station?
Hmmm, maybe there is a reason why they call it "home, sweet home!"

Kdot

kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

A-Frame full time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post

The idea of full-timing is incredibly attractive. Just think of it! Being able to freely go wherever you want, whenever you want, seeing new places and meeting new people all the time. Wow! Of course, there is the cost of a campsite every night, and I suppose the cost of gasoline would have to be a consideration. And, let's see, where is the nearest dump station?

Hmmm, maybe there is a reason why they call it "home, sweet home!"

Kdot

This is what makes the world so great- we all get a decision for what works best for us. Being freshly into fulltiming (4 months now), we don't miss our "home" for the most part.

I wasn't handy and didn't have much of a shop. My budget for RV sites is $50/night and that's still significantly cheaper than home (Baltimore/DC metro area) - even with fuel costs of going where we want. So far I've been places that I've only read about, met new people, and have connected with more family and friends than I would have at home. We've literally caught up with someone at almost every stop. And, with full-hookup spots, I still have yet to use a dump station (coming up on 350 nights of "camping" since I got this camper).

Give this a read- I found it interesting to to reflect on the trip:
http://nowornever.learntorv.com/2015...-about-us.html

You can be anti-fulltiming for you but for a lot of people, this is right for them. My home happens to have wheels and, right now, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now, to the OP's actual request of doing it in an a-frame. I couldn't imagine it for me and my family!

Old 10-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #13

Some good points made here and to think on. I've mulled over even an idea of having a tiny house built on some property. I'm of the mindset as of late that I can live with less than more.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #14

The stock bench seats are cumbersome and uncomfortable and there is no place for a chair. I get tired of sitting inside just for an evening. For use every few weekends, it is OK because I am normally out by the fire, but the lack of comfortable seating is a major drawback to full time.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #15

A-frame full time?

Ependydad, I read the article you suggested. I especially liked this part:

(Plus, the cool part is- we are headed home...)

Different strokes!

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaviva7 View Post
Anyone stay in their A-Frame full time? If you have what are the drawbacks and pros you found.
My wife and I (and mini-dachshund) lived in a 2 room suite for 7 weeks this summer while between houses. Our college-age daughter stayed with us in there for 3 weeks.

Comparison to our A122 A-frame (we had thought about camping instead of a room for the period):

- the suite had a bathroom with shower
- there were 2 closets in the suite so I could have and hang my work clothes
- laundry was free at the suite
- the suite had unlimited water and sewer, electricity was never an issue
- beds in the A-frame are more comfortable than room after adding topper mattresses
- local KOA and campgrounds were $50 and up per night (with electric and water), suite was $73

My other thought - A-frames, especially the smaller model I have, do some things very well, and other things not so well. We picked the A122 for the things it does very well:

- short length fits in our garage easily. In the new house, can even open it inside the garage. This makes it easy to have the A-frame completely ready to trailer to camp on 2 hour's notice (includes packing clothes, food, gear, and hitching up for trip).
- reduced front area, height, and weight make towing with a 6 cylinder minivan practical and comfortable
- very quick setup and take-down (less than 1 hour for entire campsite) make weekend camping a joy

Things a small A-frame does not do well:

- provide floor space to do activities inside. One chubby person standing at a time! We cook, clean, eat and usually lounge outside while camping. Inside is for changing, sleeping, and waiting out really bad weather.
- provide inside seating for entertaining. Max seating capacity inside is 5 - and that's cheek-to-cheek cozy.
- provide storage space for stuff. A by-product of folded-down height. Because we use the A-frame for 4-5 days at most, and limit what we take, this is not an issue.
- limited water, electric, and propane if dry camping. We have improved our A-frame so that water, battery, food run out at the same time (about 5-6 days). We are still dependent on campground for toilet and shower.

I would think a regular travel trailer or motor home would be much more practical for full time.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
Ependydad, I read the article you suggested. I especially liked this part:

(Plus, the cool part is- we are headed home...)

Different strokes!

Kdot

Ha! We are staying with in-laws since we rented out our house. So "home" in the sense of our "hometown"...
Old 10-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #18

We've been full timing for only three months now. We had to take a break for some repairs from a small accident but plan on continuing down to Florida as soon as we get the camper back. Think about it, how much time do you REALLY spend in your camper. Some people are television bugs, but we watch very little tv and spend most of our days outside. We use the EZ up screen shelter where my wife sits and reads while I train for triathlons 4 hours a day.
Other days we explore the area around where we are staying. Less is more
Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #19

I am living full-time in my ALiner Sport (9' box). Obvious problems are a lack of bathroom, storage space, kitchen counter space. The pluses are, you can get it into the tiniest of campsites and it's so easy to tow, plus there's that "cute factor". I have been living in the camper for almost a year. I tow with a Toyota Highlander and am carrying everything I own. I follow the good weather; right now I'm in AZ for the winter but will to go the Upper Peninsula of Mich. for summer. I've met two people who've lived in their A-Frames (the standard 12' box size) for 6 years each! www.littlebittyliving.com
Old 03-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #20
World Traveler Member

I got this small trailer for the freedom of travel and easy setup take down and its not too hard on the wallet with gas. My A194HW has a toilet/shower so I can work from inside in bad weather but I go stir crazy if I am forced to stay indoors for days. I mainly bought this for ease of traveling with a bed and refrigerator/freezer and toilet for night time. We do many small trips of a week or less and we love it.

Tags
a-frame, frame