Old 09-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Mostly Harmless

A-frame hardside water pump question

We're still having fun with our Rockwood A-frame camper, but one part of the experience is less than stellar: the loudness of the water pump. We have no problem with the volume of water it puts out, just the noise factor. My wife is reluctant to use it because of the loud buzz it makes--kinda like a woodpecker on steroids. My question is whether that's just the way 12v water pumps are, or whether we have an issue for the dealer. I stuffed a rag or two around the plastic pipes near the pump (one of them was touching the wheel well and it seemed to me the vibration of the pump was resonating there). That made only a tiny improvement. Weeks earlier I had put cork pads under the pump bracket for the same reason; didn't do a thing for it.

If it's not the pump I suppose it could be a kind of water hammer. Either way we want to make it quiet. Failing that we wonder if there's a quieter pump available.

So you other similar camper owners out there, how noisy are your water pumps when they're running?

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
My question is whether that's just the way 12v water pumps are, or whether we have an issue for the dealer.
Yes, they are very noisy. I have not looked at the way mine is mounted, but the rubber feet help to reduce a lot of the vibration. I've owned trailers and motorhomes and they all had loud pumps.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #3

if all the isolations pads etc. fails to make your pump more quiet I would suggest to invest in a better quality pump and install it yourself. When I had my tent trailer I replaced the pump with a better shurr flow and the difference was drastic in the noises and vibration for less than $125.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #4

My A126 makes quite the racket as well. I had the cover out the other day looking for kinks in my water lines but didn't remember to look for hoses contacting the wheel well.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

waterpump ...

My pump is also very noisy. However it looks to be a fairly good quality pump ... just funky installation. Mine is screwed directly into the floor, so when i put on the antifreeze bypass kit ... I will be mounting it on a mouse pad and checking for points where the plumbing is in direct contact with the cabinatery. Not a big job ... should only take a half hour or so ..

d-mo
Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

most water pump noise issues are the water lines, not the pump itself. they vibrate against the veneer wood like a drum.
Shurflo makes a silencing kit that CW and other RV parts places have.
people also put the pump on a mouse pad.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

Sounds like the mouse pad and a looksy for water lines making contact are in order for me. I've got trips planned over the next two weeks, then one in November. I'm hoping the weather holds until after the early Nov trip so I won't have to winterize before then.... We'll see!
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo
when i put on the antifreeze bypass kit ...
d-mo
I bought a bypass kit--the brass one shown in one of the weatherization threads. But as I look at the space under the shelf where the pump is, and how it's situated, I'm not sure there's room to install the kit. It screws onto the pump's input threads rather than being spliced into the feed pipe. They do make a bypass valve (plastic) that is installed in the feed pipe; you cut the pipe and it apparently uses compression fittings to secure it in place. There's room for that kind of installation in there. Has anyone installed one of the brass valves in that tight space? The pump can be installed vertically, but it doesn't seem that would make it any easier...
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #9

Darn .

bought the brass bypass kit today .. now i will have to crawl around find out what is going on ...

d-mo
Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
Mostly Harmless

Guess I worried to soon (per my previous post); I think there won't be a problem installing it after all. The RV dealer where I picked up the valve kit had a variety of plastic fittings so I bought a 90 degree elbow and a union like the plastic union that came with the brass valve kit. I should be able to install the valve parallel to the pump body, then reattach the supply tube and inline screen filter at the end of the valve, all without needing any more width than the current configuration takes. I may get a chance to try it tomorrow.

By the way, I've also replaced the incandescent bulbs in the ceiling fixtures with LED bulbs from prudentrver.com. And at IKEA I found some 12V LED strip lights that I'm mounting along the top edges of the sidewalls (inside). They provide indirect lighting. Between the two approaches I hope to have all the light we need and still consume half a watt or less.

60W solar system
2000W inverter generator

Tags
a-frame