Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #1

A-frame is home

What a day. I just had to kick my nine year old out of the new camper. He was trying his hardest to get me to let him spend the night in it in the driveway. He did his homework at the front dinette..lol.

Anyway, a big thanks to you fellas who steered me in the right direction as to what to look for in the walk through. I caught some things I probably wouldn't have had it not been for the responses given. Luckily, my tech was a real hoot and made the experience enjoyable. He went out of his way to help me understand all the systems and I feel like I can call him whenever I have a question.

A few random thoughts from today:

1. I made out well with the bubble window. There were no cracks but the caulking had seperated on one side. I asked them to fix it and they obliged. When I came back out they had re-caulked the entire window AND applied the eternabond tape. I never mentioned the tape but I had read about it in the forum. I was very pleased that they went above and beyond what I had asked them to do.

2. The underside was buttoned up tight and I did not see any water damage on the interior.

3. The tech advised me not to use the water filter b/c everyone had complained about it reducing water pressure to the point of annoyance. I was planning on bringing my own drinking water anyway.

4. The Awning...ahhhh yes, the DW's must have.. Seriously though..maybe it will get easier with time. I can tell you it is in a pile in my garage at the moment. I like it...don't get me wrong...when my DW is along, we will put that bad boy up and luv it! When it's just me or me and my son, it's staying behind. Who knows, it may grow on me and I'll want it full time...I think I was just tired by the time I got home and didn't want to mess with it. As I told my wife, "I thought I was getting out of the tent business." It was set up when I got to the dealer so I had no part in putting it up there. I did help the tech take it down and that's when I got the first taste. Then we got home and the DW and I put it up, in the wind. It was on our driveway with no place to tie down. Picture me, 6' 235lb, on the verge of going airborne...it became a giant sail. Long story short, I took it off and it still sits in the pile where I threw it. Are we having fun yet!

5. We bought a few essentials at the dealer like wheel chocks (sp?), leveling blocks and a awning mat.

6. I almost forgot...the Cool Cat AC will turn that camper into an ice cube!!!

All in all it was a great day and we sipped beverages in the camper as the sun went down. I am very pleased and will sleep well tonight. The genny is scheduled to arive tomorrow so the fun will continue. I am pretty tired so I'll leave there.

Thanks again for all the help..I'm sure I'll need it again!

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #2

Congratulations on your purchase. Now get out and go camping.

Dave

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #3

Congratulations! Maybe I missed it, but what model did you buy?
It sounds like you did very well at the dealer and they have a good service dept.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats on your camper. One word of advice, Walmart sells most of the accessories you mentioned at much lower prices for the same products. You may want to think of them first for any future accessories. Just a thought!
We driveway camp occassionally, it's a must at the beginning of each season to run everything before we hit the road. I'd rather find the issues at home instead of when we're traveling.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Congratulations! Maybe I missed it, but what model did you buy?
It sounds like you did very well at the dealer and they have a good service dept.
I feel like we got the last 17' Flagstaff 12 DD in the country; the double dinette without the storage box and extra bubble windows(which adds two feet). 17' works much better in my garage so I felt fortunate to pick it up.

LM
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Congrats on your camper. One word of advice, Walmart sells most of the accessories you mentioned at much lower prices for the same products. You may want to think of them first for any future accessories. Just a thought!
We driveway camp occassionally, it's a must at the beginning of each season to run everything before we hit the road. I'd rather find the issues at home instead of when we're traveling.
Yes, I plan on checking out Walmart's stuff. I had a cash credit from the dealer so I decided to spread the joy for goodwill's sake.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #7

congratulations, sounds like a very nice unit, enjoy the summer
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #8

Congrats on the new TT!!! Hope you have a great time doing what we here all love.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #9

Dittos on the driveway camp, even if you don't make it through the night. It will give you a opportunity to be sure you have not forgotten anything, and if some grevious error was made at least you will not be stuck with it.

BTW, I met a Casita owner, which is another small TT, who uses his old tents as garages when camping. That is where he stores things like bikes, extra gear, and even THE AWNING, so that when he is away from the camp site things don't disappear. You may want to leave the awning out though.

I will tell you that awning are important to the pardettes. My pardette and the pardettes she associates with in our wagon train, does not regard we are truly camping until the awning is out and the lights hung. I am mystified at that, but I guess that is why were are of different species...
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
Dittos on the driveway camp, even if you don't make it through the night. It will give you a opportunity to be sure you have not forgotten anything, and if some grevious error was made at least you will not be stuck with it.

BTW, I met a Casita owner, which is another small TT, who uses his old tents as garages when camping. That is where he stores things like bikes, extra gear, and even THE AWNING, so that when he is away from the camp site things don't disappear. You may want to leave the awning out though.

I will tell you that awning are important to the pardettes. My pardette and the pardettes she associates with in our wagon train, does not regard we are truly camping until the awning is out and the lights hung. I am mystified at that, but I guess that is why were are of different species...
Yes, I believe I will need her for moral support when we use the awning next. There is something about those "tent poles" that give me flashbacks....instant hypertension.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Mostly Harmless

Sounds like you did everything right. Your happiness is infectious. Have a great summer with your new home on wheels, and be ready for lots of gawkers and can-I-see-its. Most of them won't believe how much bigger it looks on the inside than on the outside.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Flagstaff 22FBS

What a day. I just had to kick my nine year old out of the new camper. He was trying his hardest to get me to let him spend the night in it in the driveway. He did his homework at the front dinette..lol.
Aw come on Dad, let the little dude spend the night out there. Heck I agree with the rest of them, get the whole family out there and do a little driveway camping one night this weekend. Make up the beds & see how it sleeps, fire up the grill and have a meal. It'd do your soul some good!

3. The tech advised me not to use the water filter b/c everyone had complained about it reducing water pressure to the point of annoyance. I was planning on bringing my own drinking water anyway.
We never did put the filter cartridge in ours, just ran the water through it as is. We've had a pretty mild winter, so last month Gary installed a bypass (similar to what's on the water heater) to eliminate the filter "bulb" altogether. Gives me more room under the sink for the taller "stuff" like a roll of paper towel, cook pan, coffee cups etc.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Sounds like you did everything right. Your happiness is infectious. Have a great summer with your new home on wheels, and be ready for lots of gawkers and can-I-see-its. Most of them won't believe how much bigger it looks on the inside than on the outside.
Thanks hamguy...yeah, most people who I've sent phone pics to say "cool" and they've "never seen anything like it" before.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #14

Deb-

Don't worry...he will get two overnights in the great outdoors this weekend. I couldn't risk him running a late night, back door card game on a school night..lol.

Oh, good idea for a water filter bypass mod. There is really no need for it if you aren't using it.

LM
Old 03-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #15

Congrats on the new camper. Have fun with the kids, they grow up real fast.

Tags
a-frame