Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #1

A Frame - is this normal???

Well I tried to attach photo, but can't seem to figure out how....

When setup and standing inside, you can see light coming in at both peaks!! How can that be? 2012 unit! I bought it from 1st owner who used it once. Soooo many little problems. Wish I'd bought the ALiner.
Rintreglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #2

My camper does the same thing when set up at home on the patio. At the campground, not so bad. I figure the camper is not level enough but my level says it is. Went thru a real bad storm last time out and no leaks so I'm not worrying about it. May try adding some more weatherstripping this fall. Other than that, I have had no problems other than the fresh water tank sagging and the dealer replaced it back in April and all is good.
Good Luck.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #3

We've been in a bad storm as well and no leaks from there however counter above microwave flooded. Water was coming in from hinge area. Fridge only works on AC when it feels like it. Propane alarm sounds for no reason from time to time. Other then that, we love it!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

Some light leaks is normal. My 2011 does the same thing. The design of the roof shouldn't allow any rain leaks. I would imagine the ALiner is the same, but you have quite a load of cash in your pocket. Many here will attest to the Rockwoods having a better overall quality than the ALiner at a much better price/value point.

I'd be interested to see your pics.

Just go to your profile and create an album and upload there. When viewing the pictures there will be links, use the 2nd link and paste those links into the thread.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

you might have to adjust your weather stripping if it is not forming a seal. On my unit, the factory had the stripping on one roof panel off maybe 1/4" which allowed for a gap and some daylight....easy fix. I also used some rubber foam weatherseal self stick tape on each side of the door where it folds to fill the small void...works like a charm.

As far as the Aliner...I was not impressed when I was A-frame shopping...jmo.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Some light leaks is normal. My 2011 does the same thing. The design of the roof shouldn't allow any rain leaks. I would imagine the ALiner is the same, but you have quite a load of cash in your pocket.

I had the same problem on my 2003 Chalet Arrowhead. It never leaked any water when it rained, but it sure did leak mosquitoes. Was able to seal most of it with more weatherstripping, but on a few occasions had to cover the seams with duct tape to keep the little buggers out.

2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104
2011 Silverado 5.3 ~ 4X4

Great Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #7

Had light around the seems in the A liner as well. It never leaked. Sometimes I can see light on the A124 other times not. It has been my experience that ALL moderately priced campers have quality issues. I wonder how they can be so expensive when they are constructed so poorly. I guess it is hard to strike a balance between lightweight, low cost, and quality construction. I will not take mine back for warranty issues because I usually fix whatever needs adjusted/replaced for less money than the gas/time it would take to get it to the dealer...and I ALWAYS take more time and do a better job.
CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rintreglia View Post
Well I tried to attach photo, but can't seem to figure out how....

When setup and standing inside, you can see light coming in at both peaks!! How can that be? 2012 unit! I bought it from 1st owner who used it once. Soooo many little problems. Wish I'd bought the ALiner.
You can also select the "Go advanced" tab when posting. With the "Go advanced" option you will find the paperclip icon for attachments. I use this method and upload the pic from my computer to my post.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
... When setup and standing inside, you can see light coming in at both peaks!! How can that be? 2012 unit! ...

Mine has a small amount of light showing above the sink side. It has not leaked a bit. Overall, the build on our unit is quite good.

We've had a few small issues. Our dinette table came apart because the leg supports were too stiff and my wife was too strong. I fixed the supports and made the repairs. (Table is fine now.) My microwave quit working (its been replaced but the dealer got the wrong unit - this is ongoing... ). There is a small stuck-on metal piece on the upper door frame that came loose (I epoxied it back on.).

We've had our unit out 6 times since we purchased it. We've loved every minute of it. We almost bought an Aliner. My wife liked the Rockwood. I found that the Aliner was not wide enough for me to lay down comfortably. We got a lot more Rockwood for the price than we would have got if we had purchased the Aliner Ranger.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #10

if your getting water in on top of your microwave cabinate, check and see if the biege rubber seal that is on top of the cabinate top is flush with the wall. Also check and see if your door is fitting relatively tight at the topend of the two piece door. If you see problems with both ... i know what the issue is.

Your propane dedector is coming on because the battery that is currently on your camper has been damaged. Take your battery to a good garage and get it tested .. it most likely has a dead cell or two in it .. good time to step up to larger class deep cycle battery.

This is caused by the origional owner not recharging it, and letting it deplate too far past its half life ... too many times ..

d-mo
Old 06-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #11

I recently looked a both a 2012 Aliner and Rockwood. I noted that much of the interior construction of the Aliner was made using staples, which protruded well out from the wood. On the Rockwood the same type of assemblies were screwed together. The Aliner staples cut my hand accidentally when I was checking wiring, which did not seem to be installed nearly as well as the Rockwood. I now hope to purchase a Rockwood 128s. I know they are not perfect, but they impress me as a good bit better of a unit compared to Aliner, or one Chalet I checked out. Like the price too.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #12

Good Choice. Hope you will like it as well as the DW and I do.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #13

Thanks Backpacker3, we hope it is the right choice. I bet you have no trouble pulling it with the Silverado. I'm wondering if I can pull it with a V6 Camry, standard class II hitch. Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Propane alarm sounds for no reason from time to time. Other then that, we love it!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Your propane dedector is coming on because the battery that is currently on your camper has been damaged. Take your battery to a good garage and get it tested .. it most likely has a dead cell or two in it .. good time to step up to larger class deep cycle battery.
T'aint necessarily so. Note that an A-frame is a small, confined space.
Propane Leak Detector Went Off In Our RV. What Do We Do?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #15

Tis necessarily so ...i personally went throught this problem a few years back. Too many problems are mis-diagnosed by other internet sites which hold absolutely no water.

hope to hear back from the origional poster .. its highly unlikely there was a propane/methane/arrisol or whatever leak.

d-mo
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #16

We camped last weekend. Had ceiling vent open a bit the whole time and no alarms! Interesting link from dimurrrw. The hot water heater is right behind the detector!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Mostly Harmless

I was told that's a CO detector, not a propane detector.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #18

It's Both.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #19

Yes, both according to the manual.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)