Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #1

A-Frame - Living and boating solar

My son and I were out solar boondock camping this weekend for our first A-Frame camping trip of the new year. It is javelina hunting season in Arizona. The little desert pigs, actually peccaries, are quite a popular game animal in this state. The hunting seasons for them typically run from January (archery), into February. There are separate seasons for Handgun, Archery, and Muzzleloader (H.A.M., get it?) and Rifle season in February. We had tags for the HAM season, but we never found the little rascals.

Our hunt area was on the east side of the Verde River. Bartlett Lake is one of the lakes on the river and that is where we camped. The lake level was down pretty low on this trip.

To get to our designated area, we had to boat across the lake to the opposite shore. We have a canoe powered by electric trolling motor. I have two battery packs for the canoe. Each day, one battery pack was on solar charge in the bed of the truck, while the other was on canoe-power duty. We hunted for four days and always had a full battery in the canoe.

It was a bit of a challenge figuring out how to park the trailer level and with its solar panels facing the sun. In the end I had to compromise. The trailer solar panels got full sun for about two-thirds of the day, but that was enough. It looks like the trailer is nose-down in this picture, but it is not. I had to roll the lake-side wheel on top of quite a few orange Legos (Lynx Levelers) to get the trailer level side-to-side.

Despite not seeing our quarry, I had a great time hanging out and adventuring with my son.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bartlett1920.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	99304  

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:03 AM   #2

Great set up. Too bad about the hunt. Hope you had a great camp though.
ccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #3

The memories we create on the trip is what I love the most about camping. Great to hear your story. I love the view at your campsite.

2019 XLR Boost 36DSX13
2012 F-350 SuperCrew, 6.7L, FX4, 4x4, DRW, tow package, 3.55 axle, flatbed
cheriesgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #4

DanM, does your camp setup have a toilet and or shower? I started another thread about an outdoor shower tent. I really like your setup and was curious. Thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

Oops sorry. Just saw this question. Nope, no private toilet facilities. As a boondock hunter, most such duties are taken care of in the field by digging a hole wherever the mood strikes. On the rare occasions that I go on a trip with my wife, we stay in campgrounds with bathrooms. Personal hygiene is taken care of with Big Ones wet wipes. Hair washing is taken care of with the outdoor shower head.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

Hey Dan:

Question on your camper panels. Did you mount them over the openings for skylights, or was the roof solid from the factory?

I ask because my skylights leak, and I was looking for options to eliminate them.

Thanks, and Safe Travels.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

My 2012 model was built without the front bubble windows. I have the rear bubble window though, which the first time I washed it, I learned that I had to apply the 3M sealing tape to.

So yeah, the solar panels were in my plan from the beginning, so when I saw this particular used unit at the RV dealer, with no front storage box so that it would fit in my garage, and no front bubble windows, perfect for solar paneling, there was no way I was letting this guy get away from me.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

Thanks DanM, also, Bluepill, I installed a single solar panel between the front bubble Windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1456885240728.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	100873  

Tags
a-frame, boat, frame, solar