Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

A-frame newbe

This Wednesday we will be picking up our new 2012 T12BH. We are buying it used , although just barely used.... It was bought just 3 months ago from what we understand a much older couple and it just didn't meet their needs. So it ended up on a consignment lot here in SUNNY Tucson, AZ.
We, my hubby and I, are so excited that we have read most of the threads going as far back as one year that pertain to an A-frame.
We are not new to camping and over the years have gone from tent camping to a little tiny 8ft box 1989 Coleman popup, then a little bigger 2004 Palomino and our last camper was nicknamed "o-mega" a 2006 Fleetwood high wall Sequoia. We loved the Sequoia but really disliked the time it took to put it up and take it down. We sold her just last summer and tent camped again for a year.
The dealer we bought the A-frame from gave us a awning for it. It was also used... I have to say I think that it is probably... gasp... from an Aliner. The color doesn't match Forest River. Our problem is... we have no idea on how to put it up. Does anyone have instructions that they could send us. It looks way more complicated then what we have ever done in the past.
We are looking forward to our first camping trip hopefully to Big Lake where it is much cooler at 9000 ft in Northeast Arizona. We have camped there before and love it.
Tom and Cathy
Tomscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Great find...I haven't seen too many resales. You will love the convenient set up/take down. I can't help you on the aliner awning instructions but google/youtube might yield some results. I would be interested to see how the aliner awning works with the FR A-frame. Oh, and

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless

I'll add my greetings to LM's. It's interesting that our pointy little units appeal to both newbies and experienced campers like yourselves..

There's an Aliner and Chalet group in Yahoo Groups that we joined too, and just like here there seems to be no "brand fanaticism" that would prevent you from being welcomed. They have dozens of photos showing a variety of commercially-made and homebrew awnings. It's harder to navigate that group--they don't use the same software as this forum does--but it's worth exploring.

You're gonna have a ball with the A-frame.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomscat View Post
This Wednesday we will be picking up our new 2012 T12BH. We are buying it used , although just barely used....
The dealer we bought the A-frame from gave us a awning for it. It was also used... I have to say I think that it is probably... gasp... from an Aliner. The color doesn't match Forest River. Our problem is... we have no idea on how to put it up. Does anyone have instructions that they could send us...
Tom and Cathy
Congratulations on getting your A-Frame!

My wife and I have really enjoyed ours!

We have a factory awning for the Forest River units. Its a great awning. I've gotten somewhat used to putting it up and taking it down (although I still cuss it pretty consistently! ).

From what I've seen some of the Aliner awning are really neat. Most of them are designed to keep the sun and rain off. The aliner owners group (alinerownersclub.org) has a good section on awnings. theoleguy.blogspot.com - has a lot of neat awning ideas there as well. Maybe there will be enough pictures and information to give you a start on setting it up.

I hope you enjoy camping in your unit!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Hi and congratulations on your purchase . I'm in Cochise County and went to Tucson to get my camper. A used a frame in great condition is very difficult to find. I made my purchase at Ruthrauff, where did you get yours? On another note, if you find your awning requires velcro, I tried it on mine this weekend and the adhesive got very melty in the sun. I need to glue it and was told to use the gel kind of crazy glue.

Hope you find the info you are looking for. Dumb question, but did you look at the pic on the aliner web site?
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, we will be picking up our A frame on Wednesday and we are very excited.
@Desertwilde, we bought it from Ruthrauff RV also! We think they are a great dealer. I hope we got a good deal, since the camper is just 3 months "old". The last owner did some odd modifications on the door side seat. They removed the front of half of the cabinet and put the porta potty under it. Then they cut the cushion in half and added a box about the size an shape of a bread box. We have no idea what the box was for but we plan on removing it. Otherwise it's in perfect shape. Not sure what we are planning on doing to fix what was done.
Photos as soon as we go out on a trip.
We have read everything we can find on Aframes in general. Yes I have read all of the aliner web site and was looking for the Chalet for owners group. So far all I have found it the Yahoo group and some things on Facebook.
I know that organization will be something I will have to work on since we have down sized so much.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #7

BTW... RUthrauff has a used Aframe on their lot right now. It's a 2011. I'm not sure which model it is but it has the U shaped dining area and a permanent potty just to the right of the door. It looks almost new.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #8

Yep, I really like them myself. Wally will give you a really thorough walk thru when you pick up. Enjoy!
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, aliner, awning