Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #11

Really no need to repeat what everyone else has said because they all are what I would say. Bottom line for DW and myself was that, we just liked the Rockwood A-Frame and that is why we went with it.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #12

I bought my A122 a year ago and have benn out camping over 50 days. Sometimes I regret not getting the 126 for more storage but not enough to change. I purchased because of having more features and lower price than the Aliner. I travel by myself and ease of setup was the tipping point. As far as questions from other campers, sometimes I think I need to post the hours outside for Guided Tours.

A122
GMC Sierra
Days Camping 2012 = 57 and counting

Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #13

I have been camping for over 50 days in my A122. After 3 years of struggling with wet canvas and folding/unfolding, I went hardside and haven't looked back. Sometines I think I should have gone with A126 for more storage. At almost every campground I go to, I feel I should post the hours guied tours are given. The only person I have found that thought it was to small was a couple with 3 kids and a dog. DUH!!

I travel alone and the A122 couldn't be better
Old 08-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #14

Ease of set up....that seems to be the most common thread that binds us owners to our hard side pop ups! I did waver for a couple weeks in considering a Little Guy teardrop with the gear deck...but for the cost, it didnt make any sense...the hard sided pop ups just dont have a clausterphobic feel to them - I guess its their tall peaked ceilings & included options...sigh....plenty of room for our needs...a most sufficient retirement or empty nester toy, for sure! haha

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #15

Just wonder what unique quality draws a buyer to the Hard side Pop Up?
The most important, although not unique, quality was the weight of the trailer. We could not afford to purchase a new TV.

What led you to the purchase of your hardside?

We had first looked at a little bunkhouse TT last summer. One of our local RV dealerships had the A-frames on their website this spring. Husband was dead set against a pop up. He had heard about what a pain the soft sided ones are to set up and didn't feel like they offered enough protection from the elements. We took a look at the A frames on the lot and I was sold... and he mostly agreed. There were definite advantages to the A-frames vs. a box type TT.

How many first time recreational vehicle owners?

First time RV owner.

Who downsized from larger RV unit?

see above

What was your "tipping point" in making the purchase?

Low loaded trailer weight
Lower profile to tow behind our highlander
Hard sides
Will fit our family of four for the next few years (me, hubby and two girls)

Most common question asked of you regarding your A-frame?

Can I take a look inside?

Lastly, any after thoughts (gasp, "remorse"?) ...ie: Wishing "if only" you had known ??? before the purchase?
It was a big purchase that I admit we will struggle getting the most use of. Our girls are young and between school, soccer, swimming, and all the other activities, we are a BUSY family. I am hoping it will have decent re-sale value when the girls are bigger (4 more years?) and don't fit on the table side of the trailer!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #16

In response let me first say I don't even have my camper yet; but it might be interesting to hear some of these answers from a novice...

What led you to the purchase of your hardside?
I was very limited by weight. The A-Frame met the criteria although quite close. Also, while "shopping around" the other small campers felt confining while the tall roof of the A frame felt more comfortable.

How many first time recreational vehicle owners?
Not I.

Who downsized from larger RV unit?
I owned a 32' Holiday Rambler 15 years ago. But we went away for months at a time. This unit will be more of a weekender.

What was your "tipping point" in making the purchase.
Weight. Cost. Big "Still in Business" Company. These were all important, but the ease of setting up was the tipping point.

Most common question asked of you regarding your A-frame?
n/a

Lastly, any after thoughts (gasp, "remorse"?) ...ie: Wishing "if only" you had known ??? before the purchase?
Even before I spend one night there is one change I would make: I don't need a 3-burner stove inside such a small space. I wold like to see the stove (2 burner?) portable, as mostly I would use it outside. This would also allow an increase in the size of the refrigerator.

Thought it would be a fun thread to share thoughts....
It was, and Thanks.

Brian

Tamara[/QUOTE]
Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #17

Hi Brian!

I echo your thoughts! There are alot of orphan RVs out there and that also came into view as we.looked too....I agree about the stove. I do find I prefer to bring along microwavable Costco type of warm up meals in lieu of the stove...Id rather grill or use cook top stove outdoors (kept the 3 burner portable propane cooker from tent camping days). Even when I had my TT and motorhome, I Costco'd it...the meals are too convenient to pass up. LoL

when do you get your trailer?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Hi Brian!

I echo your thoughts! There are alot of orphan RVs out there and that also came into view as we.looked too....I agree about the stove. I do find I prefer to bring along microwavable Costco type of warm up meals in lieu of the stove...Id rather grill or use cook top stove outdoors (kept the 3 burner portable propane cooker from tent camping days). Even when I had my TT and motorhome, I Costco'd it...the meals are too convenient to pass up. LoL

Hi Handbuilder,
I'll have to try these "Costco warm-up meals" I'll pick up my A122 first week in Sept but won't likely camp until October.
Brian
Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder
Hi Brian!

Cannot find warm up meals on Costco website. Can you post a link? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #20

I don't think the meals that are mentioned are web items at Costco. I think they are in store only and selections likely vary by location.

I've noticed many things that is see in store aren't viewable or available online, not just food items.

Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame