Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

A Frame Owners

Just wonder what unique quality draws a buyer to the Hard side Pop Up?

What led you to the purchase of your hardside?

How many first time recreational vehicle owners?

Who downsized from larger RV unit?

What was your "tipping point" in making the purchase?

Most common question asked of you regarding your A-frame?

Lastly, any after thoughts (gasp, "remorse"?) ...ie: Wishing "if only" you had known ??? before the purchase?

Thought it would be a fun thread to share thoughts....

Tamara

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #2

We are first time RV owners and decided on the hard side pop-up because of just that...the hard side. We figured there is a little more safety sitting in the woods with a hard side rather than the canvas side. Obviously if someone (or something) wants in, they'll get in...but it'll be a little more difficult for them.

The tipping point in getting the pop-up was our TV acquisition!!!! We are going to the Mojave Desert to play in the sand with the truck, but needed something to sleep in at night - besides the bed of the truck. Took the final dive on the pop-up after a friend got his Class-A motorhome.

As of today...we're very happy with our decision!!! :-)
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #3

We traveled all over the country pulling a small canvas popup behind a motorcycle. We wanted to move up to "regular" RV camping but did not want to go the canvas popup route again. They don't dampen outside noise, are more difficult to keep cool (or warm), more difficult to clean, and take forever to set up, and hard sides give you a better feeling of safety and privacy.

We wanted something that would be easy and cheap to pull, but the Aliner line was way overpriced. When Forrest river came out with the A122, it all fell into place. We have been happy with our unit now for over a year.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #4

It was a great value that did not require a new truck to tow it. I was tired of backing up and setting up a TT. I had a series of earlier canvas pop ups and hated putting up wet, and the long set up take down time.

I have camped in everything from a tent, pop up, two aliners, 34' motorhome, and a converted cargo trailer.

Went from an '08 24' TT, to the aliner which got totaled, replaced with the A124

Easy towing and set up, along with advancing age and less tolerance for complexity.

Can I see inside?

Lastly, any after thoughts (gasp, "remorse"?) ...ie: Wishing "if only" you had known ??? before the purchase?

Every camper I have ever had was "cheaply" constructed. I thought I would be disappointed with the quality after owning an Aliner. At first I started picking out things I liked better about the Aliner, later, I realized they were trivial...like caulking was not as neatly done and wiring not tied up and hidden as well. So, I can honestly say that I am really satisfied with my purchase and would buy another just like it if this one were lost.
CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

We've had 2 motorhomes , a Scamp and a Jayco travel trailer.

Since the trailer was going to function for me at dog show events, I wanted a trailer that was light weight, low profile, and easy for one person to set up.

My husband suggested I look to the A-frame trailers since I wanted hard sides all around. I got hung up on wanting to purchase an Aliner...then he suggested I look at Forest River.

The value in 'extras' with Forest River to Aliner was huge, for what I could get in cost comparison. The difference in price for minimal difference in functionality was my tipping point...given the fact that for less money, I had more options with Forest River.

I wish I had known that my unit would not fit in my garage...haha..never stopped to think of it's actual measurement in length....I dont know that it would have changed my mind altho I >maybe< might have thought to buy the bike hauler instead...but I dont regret buying the trailer at all.

People ask me how is it possible to sleep more than one without stepping on the other...that is, until they see inside & gasp in amazement at the space.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #6

We were looking for a way to enjoy our Geocaching events more, allowing us to stay at the CG with others attending the events (most of the fun of a weekend Geocaching event is at the campground in the evenings!). We had tent camped a time or two and it just wasn't our thing. The A-Frame provided the best mix of comfort, privacy and security in a package that met my towing limitations (Jeep Wrangler) and was available at a price that was reasonable. We originally looked for used ALiners but I happened across the Rockwood website and their AFrames and found their price and feature set to be superior to the ALiner by many thousands of $$'s.

After having a look at one in person I was convinced that the Rockwood A-Frame was superior in quality and features so we pulled the trigger. At less than $10000 for our A126 we spent less than we would have had to spend on a comparable 3-5 year old ALiner, and didn't have to search all over the country (Used ALiners are hard to come by around here).

We are first time RV owners.

For us the tipping point was finding the A126 that had the cassette toilet, and getting a price that was below $10000 ($9400 if my memory serves me, but I could be off a little).

We get a lot of questions, but mostly just stares from passers by. Quite a bit of pointing, and vehicles in the CG slowing down (sometimes coming back around the loop for another look). I have had quite a few folks wonder about setup and take down (wondering how long, etc) if they haven't ever seen an A-Frame. They are quite impressed that after packing up, it can be ready to pull out in under 5 minutes (walls down, jacks up, hooked to the TV and rolling down the road). They are equally impressed with the setup.

I don't really have any remorse. I almost always have some buyers remorse on a large purchase. So far with the A126, none.

The one complaint I can make is the bed. On the A126, it's a foam mattress, so it doesn't sleep all that well. I'm considering trying a futon mattress I have on a trip, possibly a memory foam replacement.

We love the A126. This summer has been a real frustration for us. We got out several times in the spring, but between work and a variety of other things going on, distraction from camping by the pool, and the record heat here in Kentucky we haven't been out much. We are very much looking forward to the Fall camping season and hope to get out again very soon!

Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

That is so funny! I think in owning one of these trailers, one must get used to the pointers! I have watched people wander by and circle around as they try to steal glimpses into the unit...

So far it seems that Forest River got our business with making many options the standard and keeping their price reasonably under the other 2 known brands.

I can think of changes Id make and have made little mods to personalize to my needs; but definitely have no remorse in the decision in bringing it home...wish I could talk my other friends into making the switch so theyd have as much fun as me haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #8

We decided on a hardside for a couple of reasons.

Its just the wife and I, and 3 dogs. But room for two more guests if need be. Living in Colorado, there is alot of places to go and see in a short drive. We also gold prospect, in Colorado and Arizona. So sleeping in a hardside is preferred over sleeping in a tent with rattlesnakes, spiders, scorpions in AZ and while in Colorado, the hardside should keep out the bigger animals for a few seconds so that I can grab handgun if need be.

We were going to get a full size toyhauler, but some of the roads that we go down to prospect would not be easy with a big trailer. So we ended up getting the aframe with the front deck for one of our atvs. So with the aframe, it is light, has the offroad lift on it, and serves our needs until we start a family.

This is our first camper.

We decided to purchase the aframe when we were heading out to michigan to visit family and friends. We always drive the 1300 miles to MI, and we sleep in our vehicle at a rest stop. I cringed at having to do the drive and having to sleep in a vehicle again. Not fun for me, I'm 6'4".
Another plus is that when we stop at the rest area, either for making food and stretching, or sleeping, it is so quick to setup and fold down. We had alot of looky loos at the rest areas.

Family members didn't know what I was talking about when I said its an aframe camper. Once we were at the property, I showed them how it set up, and all of the features that were packed into it. My oldest brother was just amazed by it, and he plans on getting one for his cross country hunting trips.

No regrets at all on our camper. One trip down, three different nights of driveway camping, and in two weeks we will be in Buena Vista CO for more gold prospecting. We love our camper and are glad that we have it.
BelgianSquiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #9

I have wanted a camper for years. My first choice was the Aliner. However, there were no local dealers nor available used units in this area until this past year. We looked at and were seriously thinking about purchasing a low end Aliner Ranger until we discovered the Rockwood A-Frames at another dealer in the area.

We are first time owners and have tent camped for 31 years before deciding that it sleeping on the ground was getting like us a little to old.

The width of the trailer and value heavily influence our purchase. My wife had the final say, and between us both it was the Rockwood A-Frame. We felt we got much more for our money with the 2012 Rockwood A128s vs. the 2012 Aliner Ranger.

A Frames are very unique popups and as indicated above kind of scarce in this area. Most people seem to look (stare?) more than ask. They keep driving by and driving by just to look at it. A few folks have asked us about it and did the "tour". We've had a couple of "big rig" users tell us that this may be the way they go in the future because of operating expenses.

Finally, the main thing that we wish we had known was that our dealer was in the process of closing the sales and service location in this area. This makes it difficult to get routine and warranty servicing.

We are hooked on our new camper. Almost every weekend we try to get out and test out new local campgrounds. It's been a great experience!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #10

Nothing specific. We decided we wanted a popup light camper and started shopping. Originally dismissed the aframes as too small and a little pricey.

Honestly, we were looking at various models of tented popups and while we were in the lot, we watched a salesman showing a new tent-camper owner how to put it away. Crank down a little, walk around tuck tuck tuck. Crank down a little, walk around tuck tuck tuck. We literally turned to each other at the same time and said "Fu --- er 'to heck with' --- that!". At that point, the price premium and smaller size didn't matter as much.

First timers here.

See above.

We get a lot of stares and points, and muffled "ooo an aframe" type of comments, but actually nobody has approached us for more info or a look.

Would have liked to get a better price. Could have gone to Chicago or Des Moines and saved a few hundred, but I wanted to buy local. Internal storage is a bit sparse, but we're making do and with the front storage rack we have some options.

We did come to wish we had a better towing vehicle. We would have liked to get the Toy Hauler version to have a little more storage options on the front. But, alas, the tongue and GVW would have exceeded our MKX. We are thinking that next time we replace the car, we may get something with a little more towing capability, and maybe replace the our current camper we have with something with that front deck. That could be 5-8 years, so by then who knows what the model lineup will look like. Only time will come.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #11

Really no need to repeat what everyone else has said because they all are what I would say. Bottom line for DW and myself was that, we just liked the Rockwood A-Frame and that is why we went with it.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #12

I bought my A122 a year ago and have benn out camping over 50 days. Sometimes I regret not getting the 126 for more storage but not enough to change. I purchased because of having more features and lower price than the Aliner. I travel by myself and ease of setup was the tipping point. As far as questions from other campers, sometimes I think I need to post the hours outside for Guided Tours.

A122
GMC Sierra
Days Camping 2012 = 57 and counting
nekkidist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #13

I have been camping for over 50 days in my A122. After 3 years of struggling with wet canvas and folding/unfolding, I went hardside and haven't looked back. Sometines I think I should have gone with A126 for more storage. At almost every campground I go to, I feel I should post the hours guied tours are given. The only person I have found that thought it was to small was a couple with 3 kids and a dog. DUH!!

I travel alone and the A122 couldn't be better
nekkidist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #14

Ease of set up....that seems to be the most common thread that binds us owners to our hard side pop ups! I did waver for a couple weeks in considering a Little Guy teardrop with the gear deck...but for the cost, it didnt make any sense...the hard sided pop ups just dont have a clausterphobic feel to them - I guess its their tall peaked ceilings & included options...sigh....plenty of room for our needs...a most sufficient retirement or empty nester toy, for sure! haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #15

The most important, although not unique, quality was the weight of the trailer. We could not afford to purchase a new TV.

We had first looked at a little bunkhouse TT last summer. One of our local RV dealerships had the A-frames on their website this spring. Husband was dead set against a pop up. He had heard about what a pain the soft sided ones are to set up and didn't feel like they offered enough protection from the elements. We took a look at the A frames on the lot and I was sold... and he mostly agreed. There were definite advantages to the A-frames vs. a box type TT.

First time RV owner.

see above

Low loaded trailer weight
Lower profile to tow behind our highlander
Hard sides
Will fit our family of four for the next few years (me, hubby and two girls)

Can I take a look inside?

It was a big purchase that I admit we will struggle getting the most use of. Our girls are young and between school, soccer, swimming, and all the other activities, we are a BUSY family. I am hoping it will have decent re-sale value when the girls are bigger (4 more years?) and don't fit on the table side of the trailer!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #16

In response let me first say I don't even have my camper yet; but it might be interesting to hear some of these answers from a novice...

I was very limited by weight. The A-Frame met the criteria although quite close. Also, while "shopping around" the other small campers felt confining while the tall roof of the A frame felt more comfortable.

Not I.

I owned a 32' Holiday Rambler 15 years ago. But we went away for months at a time. This unit will be more of a weekender.

What was your "tipping point" in making the purchase.
Weight. Cost. Big "Still in Business" Company. These were all important, but the ease of setting up was the tipping point.

n/a

Even before I spend one night there is one change I would make: I don't need a 3-burner stove inside such a small space. I wold like to see the stove (2 burner?) portable, as mostly I would use it outside. This would also allow an increase in the size of the refrigerator.

Thought it would be a fun thread to share thoughts....
It was, and Thanks.

Brian

Tamara[/QUOTE]
Brian99R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #17

Hi Brian!

I echo your thoughts! There are alot of orphan RVs out there and that also came into view as we.looked too....I agree about the stove. I do find I prefer to bring along microwavable Costco type of warm up meals in lieu of the stove...Id rather grill or use cook top stove outdoors (kept the 3 burner portable propane cooker from tent camping days). Even when I had my TT and motorhome, I Costco'd it...the meals are too convenient to pass up. LoL

when do you get your trailer?

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Hi Brian!

I echo your thoughts! There are alot of orphan RVs out there and that also came into view as we.looked too....I agree about the stove. I do find I prefer to bring along microwavable Costco type of warm up meals in lieu of the stove...Id rather grill or use cook top stove outdoors (kept the 3 burner portable propane cooker from tent camping days). Even when I had my TT and motorhome, I Costco'd it...the meals are too convenient to pass up. LoL

Hi Handbuilder,
I'll have to try these "Costco warm-up meals" I'll pick up my A122 first week in Sept but won't likely camp until October.
Brian
Brian99R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder
Hi Brian!

Cannot find warm up meals on Costco website. Can you post a link? Thanks in advance.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #20

I don't think the meals that are mentioned are web items at Costco. I think they are in store only and selections likely vary by location.

I've noticed many things that is see in store aren't viewable or available online, not just food items.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame