Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #41

this sounds very much like the amount of trouble you would have when adding an " add a room" enclosure to the awning of a popup tent trailer. The one we had stayed in the trailer all the time, and was never taken out due to the issues of putting it up .. and taking it down. I definately think im going to stick with my easy up .. after reading all your reviews and comments .. thanks much for these.
I had a thought at one time of purchasing a "Carefree of Colorado" awning and attaching to the back of the trailer, along the roof line, below the bubble. This unit comes in its own pouch, and be bought in varing lengths and is extremely easy for one person to set up. Just an idea for those looking for another idea.

d-mo

Old 05-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #42

Found a great canopy at Target. It's 11X11 and totally self contained including a full screen netting. It sets up in less than two minutes and costs $110.00.It comes with a carring case and easy to store. First time it took us about ten minutes because the directions are not that great. It's stored in the A Frame so I don't remember the manufacture. However, it's a stocked item at Target.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #43
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtouchfla
Found a great canopy at Target. It's 11X11 and totally self contained including a full screen netting. It sets up in less than two minutes and costs $110.00.It comes with a carring case and easy to store. First time it took us about ten minutes because the directions are not that great. It's stored in the A Frame so I don't remember the manufacture. However, it's a stocked item at Target.
Thanks for this tipoff. We looked at it online and read comments from owners (http://www.target.com/p/Coleman-Inst...ws-and-ratings). It's a Coleman brand, which used to be a good name in camping gear. I think Wentzel actually makes that brand, at least for the tent products. Owners complained that their screenhouses came with holes in the screens and that the straps that held the fabric to the frame were flimsy and tore off or were missing entirely. Did you have any of these problems with yours? We're interested because of the quick assembly and the relatively light weight (our current 9 x 12 screenhouse weighs 36 pounds, takes two energetic people to put up, and packs in two good-sized bags).
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Thanks for this tipoff. We looked at it online and read comments from owners (Coleman Instant Screenhouse (11 X 11') : Target). It's a Coleman brand, which used to be a good name in camping gear. I think Wentzel actually makes that brand, at least for the tent products. Owners complained that their screenhouses came with holes in the screens and that the straps that held the fabric to the frame were flimsy and tore off or were missing entirely. Did you have any of these problems with yours? We're interested because of the quick assembly and the relatively light weight (our current 9 x 12 screenhouse weighs 36 pounds, takes two energetic people to put up, and packs in two good-sized bags).
The ratings concerned me as well.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #45

I have had no problem with the canopy or screen. We have used it three times and it seems to hold together rather well. We are about to head out for a month and will be using the canopy much of the time. I will give a report on the workmanship when we return. We are enjoying our A Frame however, we had no idea the A/C would be such a distraction while trying to sleep.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #46

If you are talking about the noise, wait until you hear the propane furnace!

Seriously though, if you are a light sleeper it may be a problem.... Cheapet fix would be earplugs, more involved might be seeing if you can insulate the housing or something with sound dampening material like they use in car audio (this may reduce storage space however)

For us, for the amount of times we need to use the A/C we can live with it, and we've gotten used to the furnace enough it doesn't wake us anymore.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #47

Drifting a tad from the OP but some folks in small campers will leave the fan on when sleeping to help mask and even out the sound of the AC or heat pump. Sleep heat at passenger side too
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #48
Mostly Harmless

We went out and bought the Coleman 11x11 screenhouse posted about here. Figured we could take it back if we didn't like it. We put it up in the driveway this morning and are quite pleased with it. In order not to further hijack this topic thread, I'll start a new one with some photos
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #49

I do use ear plugs now. My beautiful, serene, petite, lovely, precious wife could snore a dead man out of a coffin. The A/C however, won. We are heading north, so we may not need the A/C past North Carolina. Talking about clubs. I took a chance with 39.95 with Passport America and did get 50% off at the campsites we were interested in. It was actually a better deal than my National Park pass.

Tags
awning, a-frame