Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #61

The ball sockets on ours are sewn into the canopy. Not sure how they would screw on.
swe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #62

A-frame screen/awning

The ball sockets will have to be positioned in the correct place on the side of the camper, then just screwed into the camper side. Not happy about doing that, but it will work. I am just glad to know that they are actually sewn on, if you have one that is not defective like ours. Time to move ahead. Thank you showing the clear pictures. Much clearer than the ones in our manual.
JJ
SNORKELCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #63

If at all possible, I would try to get them sewn on. I think if you screwed them to the trailer, you are going to have problems opening and closing the unit. Mine sit right at the point where the top pivots and spans the fixed side and the folding side.
swe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #64

Smile screen awning

You know, you might be correct. I didn't think of that! Thanks for the heads up on that!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:38 AM   #65

From my reading here, there seems to be different models of the screen room. So they will have different ways of attaching. Do full research before making mods based on others installs.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #66

Angry screen/awning

Yes, I agree. I was on the phone with Dometic, the manufacture of the awning, along with 3-4 emails trying to get a resolution to the problem, and try to find out if the correct model of awning was ordered for the A-122 camper. They insisted that there was only one model made to fit that A-Frame. Then Dometic sent me to Forestriver, as Dometic said they did not have anything to do with the sales. The camper is over in storage, but I have to find the label inside/on the awning to see if it matches the model number on the directions enclosed with the awning that came with the camper. (Although it had to be ordered by LazyDays, where I purchased the unit.)
Old 06-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #67

screen/awning manufacture reply

"Good afternoon,

For the part number fo the screen room for your awning please contact Kathy Swope at kswope@forestriverinc.com

However we don’t really offer alternatives. It would either be the screen room fits the awning and looks how it should or the screen room would be obviously too large or small.

Jacob Carter

Rockwood/Flagstaff
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #68

Any tips for set up?

Oy. We purchased the awning/screen room when we bought our Forest River Flagstaff A frame camper last year, but I had yet to try to install it and put it up. Gave it a go today. I'm honestly stumped. I followed the instructions step by step. The velcro installation was tedious, but not that big of a deal. I was able to install the front arch pole, the front side poles and the side poles that attach to the camper without much ado. But the last step is to attach the center top pole. Ummm. I'm average height (5'5") and my husband is about 5 inches taller. I could not for the life of me figure out how to put the ball into the socket without using a stepladder. And I can't picture bringing a stepladder to go camping!! Has anyone ever installed this using a different method than the instructions? Is there a way to install the top pole while the front side of the camper is down?
ascharler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #69

Hi,
I feel your fustration! my instruction book, step #17 (around there somewhere) says to insert the senter pole, the outer legs, all into the sleeves, set the centerpole snapped in, and then raise the outer to legs up. (The center pole will already be snapped into place, before you raise the frame.
Question, did your tent have sewn in ball joint receivers for the two side roof poles, where they rest against the camper? My awning did not, and I have no way to connect my side roof poles with the sockets.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #70

My awning has the ball socket sewn into the top center, but not the sides. However, my actual camper has the ball sockets on the sides already, so I was able to attach the sides.
ascharler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #71
RML

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Thanks for this tipoff. We looked at it online and read comments from owners (http://www.target.com/p/Coleman-Inst...ws-and-ratings). It's a Coleman brand, which used to be a good name in camping gear. I think Wentzel actually makes that brand, at least for the tent products. Owners complained that their screenhouses came with holes in the screens and that the straps that held the fabric to the frame were flimsy and tore off or were missing entirely. Did you have any of these problems with yours? We're interested because of the quick assembly and the relatively light weight (our current 9 x 12 screenhouse weighs 36 pounds, takes two energetic people to put up, and packs in two good-sized bags).

We got a clam on Amazon. Absolutely love it. I think ours is a bit larger than 11’. It was 179.00 with a 50.00 credit if we opened a new credit card. Excellent construction.
RML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #72

Oh my goodness! Could you possibly send a picture? Do you have the A-Frame A122 Forest River Camper?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:54 AM   #73

Clam Shelter

Can't say enough good things about the Clam. Instead of buying one $89 shelter every year, we bought the Clam. It costs more, but it is very well-made. We even put it up on our deck when not camping to keep the mosquitoes away. When camping in our A-Frame, all our meals are now in the Clam. We also got the side panels and they have worked well in the rain and wind.

The Dometic awning used to come standard on our A122S. It is a lot of fooling around to get it mostly sealed, but it does work well. It's not very good material so I don't expect it to last that long. We still use it without the front panel as kind of a foyer.

We cook under it too and it keeps rain and forest off. If you are buying an A-Frame you might try to get it included. DW did bargain for it and at the time, they were quoting about $380(?) for it.

Here's pics of both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0073.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	186323   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0763_LI.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	186324  
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneweeseMI View Post
Can't say enough good things about the Clam. Instead of buying one $89 shelter every year, we bought the Clam. It costs more, but it is very well-made. We even put it up on our deck when not camping to keep the mosquitoes away. When camping in our A-Frame, all our meals are now in the Clam. We also got the side panels and they have worked well in the rain and wind.

The Dometic awning used to come standard on our A122S. It is a lot of fooling around to get it mostly sealed, but it does work well. It's not very good material so I don't expect it to last that long. We still use it without the front panel as kind of a foyer.

We cook under it too and it keeps rain and forest off. If you are buying an A-Frame you might try to get it included. DW did bargain for it and at the time, they were quoting about $380(?) for it.

Here's pics of both.
We have a Clam too and wouldn't be without it. Its definitely worth the money!
Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, a-frame