Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

A Frame Screen Tent Awning?

Has anyone seen or used one of these yet?
Saw this one on an ad on ebay and I'm pretty sure I gotta have this.
If any of you have details on this I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a122 awning.jpg
Views:	9093
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	9971   Click image for larger version

Name:	a122 awning2.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	9972  
A122guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #2

I'd like to see some feed back on this too. Saw these in the 2012 brochure.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Flagstaff 22FBS

Didn't know they made those. What a great accessory!

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #4

I know they cost around $600, but Im having a hard time finding where to buy.
Maybe calling Forest River will help.
edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

I emailed my dealer, who replied they could order one for me. This was a few months ago when I first heard about the canopy. As I recall, the price was around US$ 750 plus shipping and sales tax. That cooled my interest pretty quickly.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Flagstaff 22FBS

Found it.
The awning/screen room assembly is an option for $638.00. Humm, looks like there is a $390 bike rack option that people have been looking for too:
RV Direct - Nothing Beats Direct Pricing | Shop and Buy RV's Online

I'm out, way too rich for me...

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Mostly Harmless

Looks like my dealer wasn't going to sell the canopy at the price RV Direct quotes, although the CO detector and the vent fan were standard on mine, whereas RVD wants extra for them, plus their price for the camper is nearly $4K more than my dealer sold for. Apples to oranges though...

If anyone finds pictures of the bike rack, please post them.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #8

This is very similar to the screen room I had for my T@B. For extended stays this is a nice addition as it probably doubles the interior space of the trailer. The T@B screen rooms were made by Thermarest.

T@B Archroom Screenroom tent Thermarest TAB

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #9

So awesome! I am new here btw. We bought a A frame Rockwood in the fall. My hubby used to handle all the camper stuff, but he was injured a few years ago (not camping) and now I have to know what is going on. I bought this camper. I thought it would be easier for me to manage than our truck camper...and easy to tow.
lilfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #10

That screen room looks pretty cool, but not $638.00 dollars worth of cool. Looks like I will just keep my cheap canopy.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #11

yea ...

kinda a cheap canopy guy myself .. similar to Mike G's but mine comes with a zippered in, removeable bug netting thingy, which is good to use during blackfly season up here in Ontario.
I think the only issue with the rockwood canopy would be installation, and how dark it would make the interior on those cloudy rainy days .. plus issues about trees and bushes in your way during setup. Something to think about before shelling out the six hundred or so bucks.

d-mo
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfawn
So awesome! I am new here btw. We bought a A frame Rockwood in the fall. My hubby used to handle all the camper stuff, but he was injured a few years ago (not camping) and now I have to know what is going on. I bought this camper. I thought it would be easier for me to manage than our truck camper...and easy to tow.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks and good info here. My wife would agree that this style of camper is easy to set up, take down, and tow. She kinda gets a kick out of doing it. She's starting to think about girls-only camping trips.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
That screen room looks pretty cool, but not $638.00 dollars worth of cool. Looks like I will just keep my cheap canopy.

I think you are right, it is expensive and It doesn't seem like it's that easy to set up any way.
I'm thinking about rigging something.
edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #14

I bought the 2012 T12SDTH today and negotiated this combo screen/awning as part of the sale...will pick up my unit next week and let you know how easy this option is to put up.....downsized from a Jayco TT where I also carried an ez up canopy in addition to the J's awning.....looking forward to more use with the Flagstaff
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forum. I know you'll love the new Flagstaff. Be sure to upload some pics when you get it home. We love to admire other people's toys! And we'll wave toward Spokane as we head for Canada and Alaska this summer.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #16

I to think it looks good but to costly. I think we will stay with our first up canopy.
We also purchased the screen and wind curtains for if. Only spent about $175.00. If the wind takes it, it won't cost a fortune to replace.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #17

Thanks for the welcome...this site has been extremely informative thanks to the individuals who jave taken the time to share their experiences! I'm more excited to bring the Flagstaff home than I was to bring my Jayco Sport home! Our new addition comes home on Saturday! yeah!
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #18

OK...the awning is starting to grow on me. Don't get me wrong...I will only use it when camping with my wife or am expecting rain. It is a much easier set up with two people. Although spendy, it is a quality piece of engineering. The zippers are very good. The poles have metal interior cordage so I don't expect them to beak easily. The material is thick and the skirt around the outer bottom edge is thick, durable, and well thought out.

The only issue I have had with the system is the velcro(sp?) pieces that attach to the camper have come loose. There is enough adhesive to stick it back into place but I will have to install new at some point. I would make sure the installers use alcohol to prep the surfaces of the camper before installing the tape.

It held up very well in some pretty good wind the last couple of days so I'm pretty impressed. Good luck with your new camper.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #19

Hi,

My wife and I are picking up our A128S, tomorrow morning. The awning is included in our purchase. I have mixed emotions about getting it as I am looking to move away from tent poles, stakes, etc. However, it does offer an easy method to increase the available living space of the unit.

I don't think that I've seen this posted already (could be wrong and I could have missed it during my "lurking" phase. YouTube has a Rockwood video showing the awning being set up. I've included a link:

Thanks for all of the great information. Your comments were instrumental in our selecting the Rockwood unit over the Aliner (well, that and the cost ... and the features ... and local selection.)
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are picking up our A128S, tomorrow morning. The awning is included in our purchase. I have mixed emotions about getting it as I am looking to move away from tent poles, stakes, etc. However, it does offer an easy method to increase the available living space of the unit.

I don't think that I've seen this posted already (could be wrong and I could have missed it during my "lurking" phase. YouTube has a Rockwood video showing the awning being set up. I've included a link:

Thanks for all of the great information. Your comments were instrumental in our selecting the Rockwood unit over the Aliner (well, that and the cost ... and the features ... and local selection.)
Ha!..yes, those poles will give you flashbacks for sure...just count to ten and say "are we having fun yet!"

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, a-frame