Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

A frame sides not going up and sealing properly

Hello all,

I've got an A128 Rockwood and am fairly new to this whole A Frame trailer. Yesterday when we went to set up the trailer, we were noticing that it was extremely difficult to get the a frame sides in place (like they didn't go far enough? And that there was a daylight gap in several spots where it should seal. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Also, my drain on the side of the trailer, wouldn't drain out of the PVC pipe to garden hose into the sewer line. When I removed the hose, it pours right out. What do I need to do differently?

There are other things that have gone wrong on this test run, but I'll start with those! Thank you in advance!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

Maybe the roof didnt catch & lock into place? Were the sidewalls easy to latch? Did you take it down and try again? Is the unit level? Thesr arent automated, so a good push up is required. I am only 5'4" & I use a little step to give me the needed height for the leverage to pish roof panels up. Sometimes I push up on the left and move the step over to the right & finish pushing it up.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

It is level...but we didn't try again. They were hard to latch into place tho. Maybe it was that the roof wasnt totally in place?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Mostly Harmless

Also, put up the walls before putting the stabilizers down. Some dealers tell you to put them down first but that can twist the frame just enough to make the walls not fit.
If there are sidewall light gaps once the walls are up correctly, it still will likely NOT leak in a storm, but you can have the dealer reinstall or add weatherstrip if you want more peace of mind.
A light gap at the peak, often more visible on the door side, is normal. We refer to ours as the Paper Towel Storage Slot, it's where we stuff one to keep mosquitoes out. Our camper has never leaked there. An excessive gap is a spot for an added strip of self-stick weatherstrip material.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #5

I usually pop up my trailer and then set down the stabilizers. I found that if the stabilizers go down first, then the front wall is hard to latch. (Trial and error) These trailer walls flex quite a bit & easy to torque. Give the roof a good push up and see that the panels "catch". You might try pushing up the both sides to ensure it did.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

I have a a128s and I noticed the latches are harder on the side with the big window. I also had problems with the sink draining with a hose. I got a hose clamp to make sure that it was nice and tight so it would drain better and it works perfectly now. I'm hoping that the more I use the trailer the easier it will be to get the latches in
Gary and Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Mostly Harmless

The slow or reluctant draining may be because you have an airlock. Your plumbing at home includes a vent at each drain to prevent airlocks, which isn't part of your camper's setup. I just drilled a small hole in the top of the external elbow that I use as my drain hose attachment. See photo. (The plastic hose normally goes into an Aquatainer when I'm set up).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-816097401.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	38965  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #8

As others have said, put up the walls before putting down the stabilizers. Do not use the stabilizers to level the camper either, they should just contact the ground firmly AFTER you have already leveled. The latches for each side should be firm or hard to latch, it's a cam-lock so it's designed to be a bit firm. In most cases, slivers of light seen at the walls are not an issue, the wall and roof mating surface is not intended to be airtight.

There are a number of methods for the outside drain, the garden hose adapter that comes with the camper is the least effective, most use some combination of PVC pipe fittings and incorporate some form of vent at the top as other suggested, to will allow your sink to flow freely.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

At first my wall latches were difficult to lock but over time have become more 'worn in'. One thing to try, loosten your lock handles just a small bit.

And I agree, when you put the roof up, test that both sides are locked at the top center where they come together. Then put the side walls in place.
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #10

On my 128s, I always put down the front driver side stabilizer before setting the wall or the pin will not line up.

The pin would not align after the first few trips with stabilizers all up or down. After setting the walls, I drop the rest of the stabilizers.

I'd like to know what works for you?
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #11

I'll have to try a combination. We won't have a flat driveway, so I can't test it out when I'm at home, but in two weeks we will be out on our next weekend adventure!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #12

That is very clever to just drill a hole! I made a big deal out of it and got an air-lock vent like a dishwasher hookup uses! Your solution is a lot easier and I gather just as effective.
NWishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

We have an A-126. Before anyone enters or the walls go up, the camper is leveled and stabilizers are set in place. Then up goes the peak, making sure they are locked in place. Then up goes the side walls. We too have gaps at the peak sides where day light comes through. It appears most owners have this as well. We have had no leaks of any sorts and we have been through some real heavy, long durational down pours. We also just ordered a Bal-Leveler. So excited to be getting that. Stay Positive and Happy Camping!!!
2012 Rockwood A126
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #14

Yes I do the same, level front and back, level sides with Bal leveler, pop up all the walls, I had no issues so far with the walls using this process and then put down all 4 stabilizers after.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Retread Popup Owner

We have that daylight coming through at the peak as well. I stood on the counter to get up there, and found that the light is actually coming through the plastic trim at peak. The white trim is not thick enough at that point to prevent the light from coming through, but there is no gap.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #16

Wojo. That is good to know! we also have a gap at the peak, but no leaks!
nannylou922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #17

Lol...I was thinking that is the way some of the bugs gets into my trailer. Most likely they get in when you go in or out the door.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannylou922 View Post
Wojo. That is good to know! we also have a gap at the peak, but no leaks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Lol...I was thinking that is the way some of the bugs gets into my trailer. Most likely they get in when you go in or out the door.

Glad I could enLIGHTen you guys.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote