Old 11-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #1

A-Frame Solar Ready

Recently purchased a Rockwood A192HW A-Frame. Decal on the unit says Solar ready. Asked dealer and he pointed out plug input near tongue to plug in solar panel. Haven't picked up trailer yet; therefore, I have no manual(s) yet. May not pickup the unit till the spring. Has anyone had experience with this hook up and what would I need to make use of it. Thanks for your interest and replies.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

well Don, welcome to the forum .. from another don.
I do solar in my A122, but from what im reading from your post .. it looks like there only could be an adapter for one of many solar connectors.
Not a big issue, its a very nice to have. If and when you decide to go this route, there is a lot of stuff out there .. and not easy to get a grip on ... but we can help ..

d-mo

Old 11-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum, Don. The online manual says this
Quote:
Solar Panel Prep (Std. all models)
The Zamp 40 amp. portable solar
panel shown is sold separately.
You can call the FR popup division at 574-642-2640 for more details. Don't assume the dealer understands this feature.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #4

This looks to be the kit. The "solar ready" part appears to be the pigtail and associated wiring that allows plugging the kit in instead of using battery clamps. The kit, including the controller sells for around $300.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. This has been helpful and now I can give some thought to buying the solar panel kit. Maybe yes, maybe no.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #6

Is the "solar ready" plug a new feature or option for 2015, or maybe it's just on the high walls? My 2014 A122BH doesn't have that plug.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #7

Solar Panel Prep (Std. all models)

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 11-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #8

A-Frame Don Make sure you do some research into solar power. I find the Zamp kits to be expensive for what you get. With some research and figuring out how large a panel you need you should be able to but a system together for less that gives you more power.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Zamp Solar Plug

I noticed that the links from before didn't work. We just did a website update so I'm using a post from another thread to answer your questions.

Hey Guys my name is Jeff from Zamp Solar - I'm here to help answer your questions on what Zamp Solar, Solar Ready RV means & other questions you might have regarding power and what you can expect. You can contact us at support@zampsolar.com or you can call us directly and chat with a sales person.

In short this is what you can assume -

If you have a Zamp Solar Sidewall/Roof port on the side of your RV it's ready for one of our Portable Solar Systems - 80 watts to 200 watts.

If the Roof/Sidewall Port is on the top of your RV then it's been pre-wired on the inside and all you need is a SRRV Kit (permanent system) - this is the panel(s) & panel wire, Mounting Feet and solar charge controller.

Solar Sidewall Plug -

In detail -

Your sidewall port that is mounted on the side of your RV is already wired up to the battery. You can directly plug in a portable unit and face it at the sun to start solar charging. The portable solar system is complete and comes with everything needed to safely charge a battery. Each portable solar system comes with a PWM solar charge controller. The whole system is water resistant, no worries if it get caught out in the rain. (DO NOT PLUG IN A PANEL THAT IS UNREGULATED - this can toast your battery depending on the size of the panel)

If the single port is mounted on the roof then the system has been pre-wired for up to 200 watts of solar, we recommend going up to our 150 watt kit. If you have a 3 port roof cap then the system has been pre-wired for up to 450 watts of solar. The system will need one of our SRRV kits which include the solar panel and a solar charge controller for everything you need for connecting the panel to start solar charging the battery. There will be a spot on the inside of your RV where it says where to put the solar charge controller - the wires for the controller are behind the wall either in a large loop or cut and taped together.

-Jeff

Video of our Portable System
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKW...1kkmhNATc_Av2Q
Old 01-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #10

Could you describe more where this port is? It says that is standard on all models but I don't seem to have it on my 2015.5 A122S

Tags
a-frame, frame, solar