Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

A-Frame Winter Storage - Up or Down?

I'm considering leaving my A-Frame up for the winter and was wondering how many of you have done it. Did you find this to be the best option for outside winter storage? I know, inside storage would be the best, but not available. I do have a brand new cover for the closed position, given to me when I purchased the camper. Last winter, the camper was back at the factory for repairs; therefore, I didn't have this concern last winter. Thanks, Don.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

Hi Don
I have wondered about this myself. Last winter I stored the A-frame closed up, with a couple of packs of Fresh Cab rodent repellant on the floor. In the spring it smelled great inside, like balsam fir. I swept the snow off immediately after each snowfall with a large pushbroom. Leaving it set up all winter sure would make snow removal easier. I left mine set up all spring, summer and fall, and it seems no worse for wear. I can't wait for others to chime in with their opinions on this.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

If you are in a heavy snow area, it might make sense to leave it up. It would save you the effort of removing a heavy snowfall that might put too much load on the roof and skylights. If in a warm climate, I would rather have it down, so the side windows are not exposed to possible damage or leaks.

This year I plan to cover all the openings on the "Street" side. A/C grille and refer vents make a nice entry for mice seeking a winter home.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
'Rubicon' Wooly

Up....

Hello...........

This is our second 'A' ( 04 Aliner and 16 Rockwood A212) and I like the up for the winter so the snow and rain run off the top. Did not like the snow piling up on it and just sitting there and melting.

'Rubicon' Wooly.................
Wooly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #5

I am lucky to have inside heated storage and enough ceiling height to leave it up. I had asked a rep at the dealer if one way or the other made any difference, he said it would take tension off the roof springs and the roof gasket would not be smashed down like when the roof is latched closed. So it will add a little life to these items but the main thing is its out of the sun, rain and snow.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
KLM

I have been stowing my A214HW in the up position. Now there is a leak where the roof meets with the pop up. If you had an issue with a leak like this I would like to know the resolve or how you fixed it.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #7

Welcoem to the forum, KLM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM View Post
...where the roof meets with the pop up
With reference to your other post too, it is unclear to me what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #8

Recommendation is up to keep tension off the springs. If you can'
t store it all the way up inside, at least release the latches. Springs are a bitch to replace
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
KLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Welcoem to the forum, KLM.

With reference to your other post too, it is unclear to me what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

I have a leak coming through right under the hinge where the two metal parts come together. You can find this under the cloth in an A214HW. This is where the pop out is over the kitchen and the toilet area.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
KLM

Hey Pooneil; I pull with a 2015 Tacoma. Nice rig.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM View Post
Hey Pooneil; I pull with a 2015 Tacoma. Nice rig.
If my Tundra ever needs replacing, it will be with a Tacoma.

I have 120K miles and just replaced a bunch of stuff so I'm likely good for a few more Ks. But I keep looking at Tacos, just in case.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #12

Yay Taco...

We just got a 2014 Taco and love it! Back to the original subject: We leave our camper up all season. Our season kind of ends around January and we close it up for maybe 2.5 months, mostly because we end up plowing the drive and blocking it. We use a slightly oversized cover and it covers the propane tanks. We jack up the front as high as possible to keep water from collecting against the seal across the rear roof panel, though the cover seems quite waterproof. We throw some slices of Irish Spring soap around the interior for rodents. We also never cook and seldom eat inside so maybe we are lucky to not attract mice. Now stinkbugs...that's a different story this year!...
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

Off Topic

Wouldn't it be wiser to start a new thread for other topics and get the attention of more members when they see the appropriate heading in the thread? Just saying.
I appreciate all the replies pertaining to the original thread. Here's for happy camping for all in the warmer parts of the country and good memories for the rest of us this fall season. Cheers, Don.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame, storage, winter