Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
A-frames; Am I the only one?

It seems everywhere I go in my T10RD, people want to see it because they've never seen one before. It was like that in BC and the Yukon last summer but nothing compared to this camp in northern Manitoba I just finished.
The first evening I set up, no less than seven people and one dog stopped to admire it and ask questions.

I think I should be getting some scratch from FR, Aliner and Chalet for flogging their products for them!
(I wouldn't mind, but I gotta keep the interior of the thing looking like something out of Better Homes and Gardens because I don't want to be rude and not invite people to have a look)

Now granted I live and play a bit north of the bulk of Canada's populated areas but I know there's a few more Canucks on here with A-frames.
And what about you folks south of the medicine line? Does everybody else get the same reaction wherever they go (A-frame conventions notwithstanding...) ?

2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2012 Flagstaff T10RD
Yukon Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
We had the same type of curiosity when we had our Trailmanor....especially when setting up or tearing down.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Rockwood Premier A126
Oh goodness yes, one could say it's a wonderment!
My Mother-in-law just didn't understand how a person can stand up in an aframe, until she took a look-see.

Last year we camped for a few days in Florida where my Mom winters. While there, a few folks were courageous and asked for a tour. She told me later that we were the "talk of the campground" after we left.

Deb & Gary
2007 Ford E150 cargo van, 2012 Rockwood Premier A126

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
I've seen quite a few of them here in Oregon this summer.
Seeing quite a few of any one type/brand of trailer or RV around here is really saying something too. This weekend we saw popups, class A's and even a 45 foot fiver!... all at one CG!
We looked at AFrames on the lot so we won't be coming over to get tours.
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
It's really weird. When I'm at the state parks solo camping, nobody wants a look. When I'm with my other half, we get visitors all the time.

I guess I come across as grumpy or something, when usually all I'm doing is reading under the EZ-UP or working on my writing. *shrug*. I'm always happy to give tours and talk about it, though.
2012 Lincoln MKX
2013 Rockwood A122BH A-Frame
ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Mostly Harmless
Wow, Don! I just googled Thompson. Looks like quite a good-sized city. And it looks like you live about as far north of Winnipeg as we do south if it.

I'd like to hear about your camping expeditions, so,tell, tell!

We definitely will go back to the Canadian North again, though maybe not next summer. Our bank account needs to heal longer than that.

Is it snowing in Thompson yet? When we left BC about 2-1/2 weeks ago it had already snowed along the Icefields Parkway. Maybe they get winter sooner than Manitoba?

And on the topic of this thread, we used to get lots of gawkers but on the whole Alaska trip we got only 2 or 3 people who expressed any curiosity about our camper. I think the difference for us is, when we camp where most people are tenting we get more interest, but in a place where nearly everybody has a 5er or a TT, folks aren't much interested in our to-them-tiny unit. On the Alaska trip most other campers were not tenters.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Don, forgive my ignorance but where is the "medicine" line and what's it's purpose?

I live in the lower 48 and around here if you live south of hiway 136 that means ....... well nevermind I don't want to offend anyone on Monday morning .

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
I think it is the unique design. We give a lot of tours in our Winjammer too.
Russ & Kim
2014 Alpine 3600RS
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 4X4
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
I have had a few lookers at local campgrounds area here but not that many. When we went to the Grand Canyon in June, we saw quite a few A Frames going and coming at camgrounds we stayed at. At the Grand Canyon, there where four A-Frames in the camground and no one came by asking questions about ours.
2016 Forest River Surveyor 201RBS
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L
backpacker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
I've been camping with the A128S to 3 CG. I biked around those campsite and no A-Frame on site. I guess in Ontario this design is unique and new. When they see how mine is set up they show so much interest and want to get one. I don't mind giving a demo, gives me more practice.

ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote