After a particular battery incident
a few weeks ago that we need not go into here,
a change was in order. So I bought a new battery box and a group 27 battery to extend the dry camping time. I'll be out 4 nights this weekend and want to power my CPAP as well as the normal camper stuff, so its a good test. Here is the battery in the box.
, on Flickr
Because I wanted to put on a battery switch, the box is big enough for a group 31 but has a slide in retainer for smaller batteries. I orders it from Walmart.com where it was stock for same day pickup at my local store. The extra space provides the room for the bolts that hold the switch to the box. I bought a few feet of red 10 gauge wire and the appropriate crimp on ends. I also picked up 3/8 split plastic wire cover to protect the wires.
Here's the switch
, on Flickr
I bought a two position switch to reserve the possibility of setting up an independent power circuit that can be powered while the parasitic drains in the camper are shut off while I am away for the day. Perhaps for a fridge compartment fan.
I installed the wider box by cutting and fitting 2X10 lumber into the battery box rails rather than taking it to the shop and having the rails moved and re-welded. The lumber is attached to the rails and the box is screwed to the lumber and I have a ratcheting strap as a hold down.
The last part of the mod will be to cut and relocate the break away switch power wire to bypass the switch so it can be in the off position while traveling if needed.