Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #21
Mostly Harmless

Those dates aren't out of line for us; though we can't stretch much later than that and be back home in time for the Tommy Emmanuel concert on the 24th and possibly a djembe drum workshop on the 21st. If you're at all a fan of guitar music, you'll know why I wouldn't want to miss Mr. Emmanuel. (Look for him on YouTube if you've never heard of him.)

There's been a slight hitch in our plans to go north, though. A professional weather forecaster that I follow on FaceBook, Terry Swails, has posted a forecast for a significant early snow event for just north of the US/Canada border for the period of September 12 - 17th. The forecast is based on a long-range forecasting model accepted by meteorologists and it has some credibility even this far out. So we're keeping an eye on it and will decide in a few weeks. We don't usually bother to get campground reservations so we have none to cancel if the forecast holds. Meanwhile, bummer!

It sounds like you've had a good time at Camp Wojo, though. Any short term camping trips on the horizon? We loved Sleeping Bear Dunes when we camped there a few years back. We were motorcycle campers then, and our son and his wife were along on their cycles as well.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
Retread Popup Owner

Just two that are firm. We're at Algonac SP over the Labor Day holiday, and at Sterling SP the weekend of October 4th. At Algonac we're meeting friends from IN, and at Sterling we're meeting friends from OH. We'll definitely get a local outing at Onaway SP in before the snow flies.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #23

I was planning a trip up to Peninsula State Park in Door County this September, but would be willing to change my locale to the Porkies if that's where everyone was going to meet... Don't know how the rest of you feel about the limitations of state parks (only electric hook-ups available in WI) but Hartman Creek S.P. near Waupaca, WI is beautiful and has a variety of things to do...
Cyndilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
Mostly Harmless

We're still up in the air about where we'll go because of the forecast for snow in September for southern Canada. Even though snow isn't forecast for the adjacent U.S., the weather would be pretty cool if not downright cold that close to the forecast zone. So we're still hanging back waiting to see what pans out. We may end up going south instead. We hope to make an actual decision in a week or two. (We may be too comfortable with ambiguity; comes from years of motorcycle camping, when the route and sometimes even the destination would change with the weather.)

We tented for so many years that we don't mind dry camping. Parks with only electric service are fine with us too. I want to check out the park you recommended, so far we've liked Wisconsin state parks and adding a new one would be good. We like Pattison S.P. just south of Superior a lot.

As far as who might be willing to do a meet-up if a north-country trip materializes, so far I think it's you, Wojo and us. Not a crowd yet, but maybe things will firm up as we go along and others will hop on the bandwagon. There's a new owner a few blocks from my house so maybe they'll be looking for an excuse to try a medium to long trip. How about it, silver.smith?
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
Mostly Harmless

Wow, Cyndilee, I looked up that park in two sources and read about 15 reviews, some as recent as last week. Most commented on how noisy the park has become and many commented on the bad behavior of the park rangers. One ranger was characterized as a Nazi and another was referred to as "the nun with the gun." Sounds like Rent-A-Cops gone bad.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
I nominate Jester Park. It's a well maintained county park with 6 campgrounds totaling over 250 sites, it's a beautiful area, migrating pelicans stop there, it's 16 miles from my house and 6-1/2 paved miles off two major Interstates... And people 62 and up can rent an electric site for $10 per night or a non-electric site for $8/night Sundays through Thursdays. The upper end of Saylorville Lake--a Corps of Engineers project--runs alongside the park. Conservation - Polk County Iowa

It's an Iowa park so you know it's got to be wholesome and pure (grin).
Sounds good to us! I agree--- Jester is a great place. Don't forgot the beautiful golf course and buffalo paddock.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Wow, Cyndilee, I looked up that park in two sources and read about 15 reviews, some as recent as last week. Most commented on how noisy the park has become and many commented on the bad behavior of the park rangers. One ranger was characterized as a Nazi and another was referred to as "the nun with the gun." Sounds like Rent-A-Cops gone bad.
That was not my experience a few weeks ago. Everyone was very helpful and even checked to make sure I got backed into the site and wasn't having any problems, since they knew I was a newbie. Guess it depends on who you are camped near or who else might be in the park at the time. Folks I camped near have been coming there with friends for many years - 4 couples with travel trailers all get together for the same week every year. Hard to believe! Either I got really lucky or Hartman is getting a bad rap. The next time I am near there I will check it out again.
Cyndilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
Mostly Harmless

Heading tomorrow for the Black Hills and Devils Tower. A two-night stop at Lewis and Clark SRA at Yankton, SD, then on Sunday it's off to either Center Lake CG at Custer State Park or Wind Cave NP's CG.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Heading tomorrow for the Black Hills and Devils Tower. A two-night stop at Lewis and Clark SRA at Yankton, SD, then on Sunday it's off to either Center Lake CG at Custer State Park or Wind Cave NP's CG.
Sounds like a great trip. I'm envious.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
Mostly Harmless

We're finding the Yankton area is a great camping and geocaching destination. Took this photo from the visitor center at Gavins Point Dam. Our campground is across the Missouri in the background of the shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3175235870.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	39395  

60W solar system
2000W inverter generator

Tags
a-frame