Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

A successful weekend at Brazos Bend SP

Just returned from a great weekend at Brazos Bend State Park. I was there for a hiking get together and walked 15 miles on Saturday. After that I skipped the night hike and went to bed at 8:30. The Sunday morning hike was canceled due to deteriorating weather, relieving me of the decision to make it or not.

I was a bit bummed about how tired I was because I missed all the fun at the campfire Saturday night. I saw the remnants of the fun this morning and helped clean it up before the rangers made their rounds.

My camper was great. Friday night was quite cold so I ran the furnace, instead of the CoolCat because I was plugged into a 20 amp outlet that was shared with tent camper at the same shelter. Saturday night was in the mid 60's so woke up hot and started the fantastic fan to bring in the outside air. The rain started this morning about 8:00 and lasted for only a short while, but with it, the temperature started going south fast. More rain hit while I was on the way home, so the hike cancellation was a good idea.

I found a nice little trick for cold weather camping, that those who live in cold climates surely know, but had not occurred to me before. While packing the camper after the Friday night frost, I started the furnace. When I closed up, I left the furnace running so when I got to camp, the inside was nice and warm. Since I would have power at camp the battery drain was not a problem.

This is novel to me because in my old pop up, the furnace power circuit went through the galley switch and shut off when closing up the camper. Arriving on site with a warm camper is one more little nice thing about an A-frame.

I ran into one problem resulting from poor manufacturing. Some other A-frame owners have noted the large quantity of air in the water pumped from the tank. I had noticed this in my camper but had not thought much of it. Friday, after using the outside shower, I noticed some water dripping off the fresh water tank and stuck my head under to have a look. The water was actually coming from the place the draw tube attached to the tank and was slowly draining the tube. The leak is undoubtedly the source of air in the pumped water, which was worse this time than it has been before. Since I don't have a PEX crimper to reset the line on the nipple, it is back to the dealer for a fix.

Clear skies and cool weather at Brazos Bend.

An early evening campground bandit.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #2

I love Brazos Bend. We only live about an hour away and we go there pretty often to ride bikes.

I almost came up there Saturday to ride and I was going to stop by and introduce myself but other things came up. Looks like you had a great time.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

David
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #3

Saturday was a great day. I live in town but about 35 minutes or so drive from the park, too. Close enough to get there any day the gator viewing is good.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote