Old 09-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Smile A122 Fresh Water Tank Level

We noticed that the pump sounded weird, it was pulsing while it pumped, then went back to normal after several uses. I am wondering if this is an indicator of how much water is left in the tank, if so, how many gallons are left when this happens?

IslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #2

Pumps will sometimes pulsate if the flow of water is at their max rated amount and then pressure up and turn off when the demand is lessened.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #3

Know that in the A-frames, the tank suction comes from an outlet in the side of the tank, not the bottom of the tank. Therefore, it is impossible to get all the water out of the tank. Putting the port (left) side of the trailer slightly lower will help.

I look under the trailer at the tank to determine how much water is left. The tank is translucent enough to see the water level.

Keep in mind, the water heater holds about 6 gal. So if you fill the water heater after you fill the water tank you lose almost 1/3 of your water tank's 20 gal capacity. To avoid this, I fill the water tank at home, crawl in and turn on the water pump, release the shower (outside) hot water faucet to get the air out of the hot water, close the shower hot water faucet, turn off the pump, refill the water tank. Even if I never turn on the water heater, this gives me an extra 6 gal of usable water, for a total of 26 gal.

When getting ready to tow, I release the water pressure by turning off the pump, and opening the outside shower valves. This prevents leaks from the fold-down sink faucet while towing. We store dog food (a 10lb mini wiener) and dish towels in the sink while traveling, so I don't like the fold-down faucet leaking.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #4

Smile Water Tank

I have a 2015 T21QBHW with a 6 gal water heater. All the paperwork says I have a fresh water capacity of 20 gal which wold mean that my tank holds 14 gal.. Last week I decided to measure the amount of water I could put into the freshwater tank and found that the tank capacity is 16 gal, so the trailer holds 22 gal total. Also, I got tired of not really knowing the amount of water available so I connected a clear plastic tube to the drain valve, covered the other end of the tube with window screen and secured the tube so that the screen end was against the bottom of the floor. I marked the tube every 4 gal so now I have a simple water level gauge.
Czars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, fresh water, tank, water, water tank