Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

A122 Newbie looking for advice on accessories, etc.

Greetings from the capital of California! We just purchased a little Rockwood A122 trailer and will pick it up on Sunday. I'd sure appreciate any advice you might have for newbies, such as "must-have" accessories for an A-frame trailer and what you must not forget to bring on your first camping trip. Thanks a bunch.
Kanikamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #2

Congratulations on the pending arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanikamom View Post
what you must not forget to bring on your first camping trip.
A note pad and pen to write down everything else that your didn't anticipate needing.

Here are some ideas that make a nice upgrade.

BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler

BAL Single Axle Tire Chock

Bal Bull's Eye level

With the leveler and chock, the camper will be a stable as your home foundation. No wiggle at all. It will feel solid even without deploying the stabilizers.

LED bulbs to replace the energy wasting incandescent bulbs.

Of a type like this, look for warm white color. IIRC the two outdoor lights have a different base. So get a set of those too.

If you haven't found a PDI checklist yet, here are two. They are for big trailers, but much of the information applies to us.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf

Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

There is a great deal of information presented at the PDI. Record a video on your phone rather than taking notes.

Since you asked for opinions, you may find them more abundant here than your planned. The best way to learn about what you need is to camp, camp and camp. Many of us started camping in our driveways or in the nearest park just to get the feel of the camper. There is learning curve, but it is not very long or steep.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

If you want to see what an highly engineered camping set up is like, look at this OzandUs Picasa page. It is for a tent trailer, but much of it applies to AFrames. OzandUs is a legendary modder. In particular look at his grey water collection system. I switched to variation on that after the big tote that came with my camper broke.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Thank you so much!I appreciate getting this information before we actually pick up our new baby. So the delivery checklist will be excellent.

I was concerned about getting the plastic shocks that are in the RV store, so I appreciate pictures of the metal ones. I had my concerns about going plastic on something so important as stabilizing the trailer.

We've already got some recommendations from the dealership, and we will receive more recommendations on Sunday, but I'm looking forward to reading reading all of these responses, so we will have a better idea of what accessories to buy when we pick up our new little gem.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

The plastic chocks are quite good and will keep the camper safe, just not as quite as steady as the Bal equipment. I use plastic when parked at home and keep the Bal equipment in the trailer for use at camp. I also keep a set of plastic chocks in the trailer, just in case.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #6

I second (or third I guess!) the BAL leveler! It's easy to use, and will keep you level and stable.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #7

Where in Sacto did you buy your camper? I live just down the road in Napa Valley.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Site Team

This list from Robert's Sales, a Forest River dealership in Denver, is a pretty good checklist of things to pack. If anything you would be over prepared for your first trip...
Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #9

Come to think of it, you may not need LED bulbs. IIRC from other posters, the campers now come with LED ceiling fixtures installed. Have a look at the outside lights though and replace bulbs if needed if you want to use them when dry camping.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Where in Sacto did you buy your camper? I live just down the road in Napa Valley.
We have looked at Aliners and Chalets at your store in Napa, Rockwoods and Chalets in Ukiah, as well as some other places, but we actually bought our A122 in Turlock after seeing an on believable Internet sale price
Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #11

I just ordered two BAL levelers for my Rockwood HW296. Should come in handy, probably for next season though.
Rj5620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #12

I've never heard of them being used on a double axle trailer before. Let us know how it works.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #13

Tom ... nor have i .. but i have seen them used at an RV show for a Dbl. axe, .. but that is not what they are made for ..
so my list for the OP would be,
bal leveler
weber Q
50 ft of 30 amp tether
a bypass for the fresh water tank,
dual deep cycle batteries
a "water thief"
create a breeze fan

enjoy .. d-mo
Old 10-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #14

Thanks so much!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Site Team

Many new owners will take the first trip close to home even if it only for a day or two while others will jump in with both feet. Somehow being close to home takes away some of the stress of worrying if you have everything. Driveway camping is another way of getting to know your RV and refreshing your memory on how to set up and break camp.

I'm see that your fellow A-frame owners have directed you in the right direction what you need to start with. In the other forums here I often see some pretty detailed lists that might not fit everyone's style of camping or budget.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #16

A122 Newbie looking for advice on accessories, etc.

We will take our first trip in a couple of weeks about 70 minutes from home.
It took us a while to get the brakes and mirrors adjusted but now we are driving our new baby home. We did a lot of practice backing up into a pretend driveway at the dealership-hmmmm...
Old 10-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanikamom View Post
Greetings from the capital of California! We just purchased a little Rockwood A122 trailer and will pick it up on Sunday. I'd sure appreciate any advice you might have for newbies, such as "must-have" accessories for an A-frame trailer and what you must not forget to bring on your first camping trip. Thanks a bunch.
Must haves:

- some way to level the A122 side-to-side. After taking delivery, and leveling camper in the garage, I glued on a bubble level that is calibrated in inches that I found in the RV store. When approximately in position, I glance at the level, which tells me how many Leveler blocks I need on the low side. (The Leveler orange "Lego" blocks came in a boxed kit at Wal-mart for $30). I pull out the correct number of blocks and back on to them and chock. A lot cheaper and actually less work than the BAL leveler from my perspective.

- matches and/or light stick to light the stove. Everything else has built in ignition.

- pressure reducer for city water connection (this came in a kit the dealer threw in). I upgraded to a right angle metal version so the hose connects vertically. Prevents leaks inside the camper due to excess water pressure.

- a 30 amp to 20 amp converter (dog bone). And a heavy duty extension cord (12 gauge or heavier). Again, the converter came in the dealer's throw-in bag. Since the base A122 will run quite nicely off 20 amps, a 30 amp extension cord is not needed unless you are adding high wattage appliances inside. This will also let you run the camper electrical in the driveway without a dedicated RV 30 amp circuit.

- a screw-on fitting for the outside sink drain that converts the drain to normal hose. You can get a lot fancier here - ours was again a dealer throw-in. And you at least need a bucket and hose for gray water collection from that drain. There are closed gray water collection containers that are a lot fancier than our bucket. But we wash dishes at the picnic table, not inside, so our camper gray water is minimal.

- chemcials for the Porta-Potti if you are going to use it. Ours sits on a shelf in the garage along with the RV-Que. A limited amount of chemical came with the dealer pack.

- a tire iron that fits the lug nuts for changing tires if the worst happens. Also used periodically to check the lug nuts for tightness.

- a tire pressure gauge that reads to 70 PSI. Always, always fill your tires on both tow vehicle and trailer before departing on a trip. This will give you much better tire life and significantly reduce the chance of a blowout.

- a stubby screwdriver for opening the fridge outside hatches

- our water filter came without the filter element installed. I have never installed the filter element after reading the horror stories. The case doesn't leak, and I've left it alone.

- LED flashlights. Especially if you don't install a second battery. Eventually, you will run your battery down without knowing it and the flashlights will be your only source of light. We carry one in the car glove box as well.

- tow vehicle brake controller, and adequate transmission cooling

Really, really nice to have (at least we think so). This will obviously vary depending on the type of camping you do:

- EZ-Up to provide shade at the picnic table.

- folding chairs to sit outside at the campsite

- camp stove (we cook outside at the table)

- 2 plastic dish washing pans (we wash outside at the table). One is wash, the other is rinse.

- a latch of some kind to hold the passenger side dinette seat in the up position while you get stuff in and out.

- foam topper for the bed. If you want to sleep well, you need this. The standard mattress doesn't cut it for us.

- a second battery (wired in parallel) to keep the heater going through a long weekend without hookups

- a cutoff switch for the battery(ies) so that you don't have to manually wire/unwire the batteries when you get home or depart. The camper has enough parasitic load (CO and propane detectors at a minimum) to run the battery low in a couple of weeks of non-use.

- if you have a 6 cylinder CUV or minivan for towing you really, really want a weight-distributing hitch to restore the tow vehicle's handling with the 250+ lbs tongue weight. Full-size SUVs and pickups may not need it.

just our thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2014 A122, 2008 Hyundai Entourage
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #18

I'd also recommend a torque wrench for changing tires and the assure the lug nuts are properly torqued before leaving on a trip. Make sure you have a deep socket or an extension that can reach the nuts when the wrench is clear of the camper. And while you're at it, why not get a breaker bar to get those tightly torqued nuts loose.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #19

Deep socket is very important along with the torque wrench

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #20

I have this Harbor Freight torque wrench. It is a cheap and certainly non-professional tool, but it has held up over years of occasional use. And I haven't lost a wheel yet! Harbor Freight also has cheap sockets and breaker bars.

For anyone not familiar with the store, they are a purveyor of low cost and low quality tools. So don't expect high durability, accuracy or precision from tools. I won't by any tool with a cord or battery there but for the occasional use tool they are OK. And how many campers really needs a professional quality breaker bar?

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
a122, accessories, newbie