Old 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

IIRC, that is the lift assist spring. A spring failure seems like a plausible source for your symptoms. I agree with you that FR should cover the repair of an obvious manufacturing problem, particularly when brought to their attention quickly and without substantial collateral damage. Good luck and let us know the progress.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #12

I was just about to create a post with a very similar issue. New A122 purchased last November. I remember normal closure of the roof panels at the dealer and the one night I spent before a 200 mile drive home. Since then, the top roof panel seems to hit the bottom panel on the backside of the trailer when closing. To get it properly closed seems to take a bunch of pulling/pushing -- much different than the first couple of times. It obviously seems to be out of alignment.

I don't seem to have any of the issues stated above. Any other thoughts on what to check, or is this an issue that only a dealer can sort out?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinezx View Post
I was just about to create a post with a very similar issue. New A122 purchased last November. I remember normal closure of the roof panels at the dealer and the one night I spent before a 200 mile drive home. Since then, the top roof panel seems to hit the bottom panel on the backside of the trailer when closing. To get it properly closed seems to take a bunch of pulling/pushing -- much different than the first couple of times. It obviously seems to be out of alignment.

I don't seem to have any of the issues stated above. Any other thoughts on what to check, or is this an issue that only a dealer can sort out?
Went to the local dealer today and was told that the square tube is just a guide to hold the spring close to the out side of the wall. they gave me 2 new rivets and I am just going to attach that piece. As far as roof shutting they told me you just have to get a board and start pulling the out side edge of the roof out until it fits better. I'm starting to think the quality of my rockwood has a lot to be desired. Hope I didn't make a mistake and get this.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad85 View Post
As far as roof shutting they told me you just have to get a board and start pulling the out side edge of the roof out until it fits better.
That sounds like a cop-out answer from a 'service' department. I hope they understand that it is highly unlikely that the side edge of the roof suddenly changed its shape -- the problem (at least in my situation) seems to be more related to the top panels twisting/moving somehow. I remember thinking when I first picked it up that the roof operation really does seem as easy as I saw in the videos!! Now, it's 5-10 minutes of the top panel going up and down and pushing and pulling to get it to close.

My rule with the new campers that I've owned is that I only go to a dealer for service as a last resort -- I'd much rather do any fixes myself than deal with most of them.

I'll try to spend some time tomorrow and Saturday with a large square and level to see if I can pinpoint where it's coming out of alignment.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #15

So I raised the roof and took the square aluminum cover off the helper spring(Not square anymore due to it pulling away from the roof).
So I'm thinking off a steel tube and screwing it in or rivets again to see if I can get it to stay in place.

Also the roof is kinda dented in from this miss hap. Kinda sucks for my new trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0981.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	50056   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0982.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	50057  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #16

That damage would have made me madder than the initial problem! Any better luck closing it after your fix?

I tried mine a few times yesterday and today. I was able to adjust it a bit (by hand), and it seems better. Still doesn't close without a little extra pushing, but I can probably live with it to avoid a trip to the dealer.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinezx View Post
That damage would have made me madder than the initial problem! Any better luck closing it after your fix?

I tried mine a few times yesterday and today. I was able to adjust it a bit (by hand), and it seems better. Still doesn't close without a little extra pushing, but I can probably live with it to avoid a trip to the dealer.
Working on it tomorrow, bought some steel instead of aluminum for that piece and I am going to tap in some stainless screws instead of rivets. I'l keep you posted how it turns out. I don't believe it will help the lowering problem but I sure hope so.

Tags
a122, roo, roof