Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

a122 roof

I have a rockwood a122 and have a problem closing it up. seems the side were the door is on there is a lip on the roof that slightly goes over the door when closed. this makes it imposable to open the lower dower when closed, That's a good thing. Seems my trailer when latching it down hits the top of the lower door, I have to pull it to the side to get it to close? Sorry could not explain it very well, put anyone have this problem also? seems the roof is not centered all that well.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

When lowering, you sort of need to be inside the camper as the two sides are lowered with your body coming through the opening of the upper door, and with the lower door closed. Once the two sides are down. You can open the lower door and step out. The the roof comes down and the lip of the roof will overhang the lower door (the top if the lower door)

If you don't do it in this order, then problems can arise.

Not sure if this is the cause of the issues you are having, but thought it worth a mention.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
When lowering, you sort of need to be inside the camper as the two sides are lowered with your body coming through the opening of the upper door, and with the lower door closed. Once the two sides are down. You can open the lower door and step out. The the roof comes down and the lip of the roof will overhang the lower door (the top if the lower door)

If you don't do it in this order, then problems can arise.

Not sure if this is the cause of the issues you are having, but thought it worth a mention.

Thanks for the reply Rawlus, I get the two sides down without a problem, it's the lip that hangs over the lower door, the inside lip will hit the top of the lower door unless I force it over it. You explained it better than i did, why am I hitting the lower door
Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #4

What you are reporting is improper operation, in my experience. I agree with your suspicion that the roof is misaligned. It could be for many reasons. I would pull up the front and back valances and look over the hinge areas. Make sure everything is straight and tight and that the springs are in good order.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
What you are reporting is improper operation, in my experience. I agree with your suspicion that the roof is misaligned. It could be for many reasons. I would pull up the front and back valances and look over the hinge areas. Make sure everything is straight and tight and that the springs are in good order.
I'll second that suggestion - you should not be having that issue. The top should slowly drop down and close fully without any intervention. Take a look at this video at about 30seconds and you'll see how it should work.

- Randy
Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

I had a similar problem with mine. What had happened was the microwave/radio cabinate had separated from the wall in the camper. If this is the problem, if you look to top of the micro cabinate, you will see that the plastic stripping has separated from the wall of the camper. Both Hamguy and I have had this issue. Basically the problem was that the screws that attached said cabinate became loose, which allows the wall to bow out, causing the wall and door to be out of alignment . I took mine back to the dealer and had them replace little piddly screws with larger ones ... which pulled the wall tight to the cabinate and solved the problem.

hope this is the problem ... im thinking that it is ..

d-mo
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #7

D-mo, your answer sounds highly likely to me. The cabinets, flimsy as they may seem, are a structural part of the camper and any detachment can cause a problem. I could certainly see where using the outside folding hand rail when going in and out could put too much stress on a couple of small screws and cause that wall to bow out.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
I had a similar problem with mine. What had happened was the microwave/radio cabinate had separated from the wall in the camper. If this is the problem, if you look to top of the micro cabinate, you will see that the plastic stripping has separated from the wall of the camper. Both Hamguy and I have had this issue. Basically the problem was that the screws that attached said cabinate became loose, which allows the wall to bow out, causing the wall and door to be out of alignment . I took mine back to the dealer and had them replace little piddly screws with larger ones ... which pulled the wall tight to the cabinate and solved the problem.

hope this is the problem ... im thinking that it is ..

d-mo
Well I did just remove the microwave to get to some wires for a 12volt plug there, I will have to look into the cabinet idea, I have not had a problem untill now.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #9

Might have found my problem, I opened up the trailer and noticed one of the square tubes in the corner that the cords go to is not riveted to the roof like the rest so it shifts out away from the side. It is also not as high as the rest so maybe not enough tension to keep it alined. I'm going to the dealer today to check into a fix, I bought in from a dealer used so I don't think a warranty is going to cover it but since it was never rivited from the factory I hope the will.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #10

Pic's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0978.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	49984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0979.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	49985