Old 03-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Mostly Harmless
We've had ours 13 months now so that's not enough for a long-term answer about the windows. For that matter the hardsides are so new (from FR at least) that theres no way to tell about long-term sun damage. So far there's no evident damage from the sun and we don't cover ours in the summer. I'd be more concerned about a cover scuffing the window when there's a wind. Some covers have a soft lining in strategic spots to avoid that.

You might try looking at Aliner/Chalet owner forums to see if anyone there has had problems like we're talking about. Those units have been around for years.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Cattledog
While the subject of extra bubble windows is being discussed let me take the opportunity to ask about suggestions for protecting them when the camper is folded down and unused during the summer months. Do they suffer any damage from the sun beating down on them? Does anyone cover the camper when stored outside during the summer? This part of the province is the hottest most humid area and summer can be a real scorcher I’ve seen the bed liner on the tailgate buckle when left down. Hope it doesn’t sound like a stupid question but I just bought the little guy and I’d like to keep it in the family for years to come. Any thoughts?
I can't imagine the our Florida sun would NOT damage anything exposed to it for any length of time. I cover my A122 with one of those silver/brown tarps found at the nearest home improvement store. I was, too, concerned about the tarp scratching the bubble so I laid an old cotton sheet over the window to protect it. I just pulled the tarp off to get ready for this weekend and I see no signs of damage. The tarp, however, is already starting to show wear and tear from the blazing sun.

toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
Sun will eventually degrade the windows ( and the other surfaces of course ), but fortunately, the skylight windows are pretty inexpensive to replace.
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Thumbs down A122 adding skylight dome over dinette

I just ordered them from Forest River through the dealer that I purchased the 2012 A122 unit from. The dealer is 2 hours from where I live so I will have them installed locally. The guy at the service section where I bought the A122 said not to drill any holes in the skylight, just have them look at the back one to see how it was done. It (the back skylight), however, does has 2 screws at each corner with obvious caulking around the whole thing. Does that mean the new ones are to be just held on by caulk (I ordered what Forest River uses)? The domes are made by Majestic Plastics but I cannot find any installation instructions on their site for RV installation.
NWishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
I'm sure it's more than just caulk holding them on. I'm sure they lay down a bed of industrial adhesive first, and then seal it with caulk.

I noticed on my rear (larger) window a couple places where the caulk was peeling back, and there was a tiny gap between the caulk and the edge of the window flange. I am pretty sure it wasn't enough to let water leak in, but I had a tube of silicone handy, so I filled in the gaps just to be on the safe side.

2012 Lincoln MKX
2013 Rockwood A122BH A-Frame
ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote