Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #1

A122 Roof Windows retrofit

Has anyone looked into a retrofit of the two smaller roof windows that have been added to the 2012/2013 model years? I have a 2011 A122 and would consider the additional roof windows if the price was right - have the dealer install of course, but it looks like it would be pretty straightforward. cut hole, drop in, seal and add interior flange.

I plan to get in touch with the dealer on pricing but thought i'd ask here in case anyone else has had the same idea.

R

Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #2

Some people have done it on their Aliners ... should check the forum there. I kinda like the no windows on the towhitch end of the trailer, as it prevents lots of heat loss due to sun, and thermal heating. Origionally I really disliked the idea of no windows, but now i have grown to really like it, as the bubble windows just cause so much heat buildup within the trailer, and also affords us privacy on back in sites ... which we have the most up here in Ontario, and throughout the areas in the U.S. that we visit.

d-mo

Old 02-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Although I understand why some would want additional windows, my feeling is that the negs outweigh the benefits. On hot sunny days more bubble windows would only add to the heat, just like a moon roof in your car can act like a broiler.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #4

Yeah, don't really have the hot weather issues up in new England that are present in fla. I'm also 6'5" and the extra headroom at the dinette wouldn't hurt.

Heard from the factory today, the dinette side roof windows are about $40 each.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #5

I am being shown a "2012" 122 that has no windows on the tow end. So is that really a 2011??
Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeFanatic
I am being shown a "2012" 122 that has no windows on the tow end. So is that really a 2011??
There'll be a tag on the outside (near the water heater vent I think) that will give the VIN and may give the year. It could be an early 2012, before they made the changeover in production, but I'm just guessing here. At any rate the price should reflect the older outfitting.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Yeah, don't really have the hot weather issues up in new England that are present in fla. I'm also 6'5" and the extra headroom at the dinette wouldn't hurt.

Heard from the factory today, the dinette side roof windows are about $40 each.
So did you go with the retro-fit? How did it go? Just curious...I am about to pull the trigger on a 12DD and was thinking I really like those extra bubbles.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Planning to do this when the weather breaks, been a busy winter but spring is around the corner, our A122 we keep in an enclosed storage unit so I've only been able o check in on it a few times over the winter.

I am looking forward to the extra feling of light and openness the dining side windows will bring, heat is not much of a concern up here in new England.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Planning to do this when the weather breaks, been a busy winter but spring is around the corner, our A122 we keep in an enclosed storage unit so I've only been able o check in on it a few times over the winter.

I am looking forward to the extra feling of light and openness the dining side windows will bring, heat is not much of a concern up here in new England.
Ok, let us know how it goes. I called the factory as well and the warranty guy said the A-frame roofs were made to be able to do it. I'm in Georgia so I'm weighing the heat vs. light/space trade-off. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #10

Protecting the bubble windows

While the subject of extra bubble windows is being discussed let me take the opportunity to ask about suggestions for protecting them when the camper is folded down and unused during the summer months. Do they suffer any damage from the sun beating down on them? Does anyone cover the camper when stored outside during the summer? This part of the province is the hottest most humid area and summer can be a real scorcher I’ve seen the bed liner on the tailgate buckle when left down. Hope it doesn’t sound like a stupid question but I just bought the little guy and I’d like to keep it in the family for years to come. Any thoughts?

Tags
a122